What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which logbook?

Reaver

Well Known Member
Patron
So I just had my fixed-pitch prop dynamically balanced. The question is now - which logbook does this go in? From the name you'd think it would be the prop log, but the weights go on the flywheel / starter ring, which isn't part of the prop. Is that considered part of the engine? The airframe? Guidance would be appreciated!

So I just had my fixed-pitch prop dynamically balanced. The question is now - which logbook does this go in? From the name you'd think it would be the prop log, but the weights go on the flywheel / starter ring, which isn't part of the prop. Is that considered part of the engine? The airframe? Guidance would be appreciated!

If constant speed prop, prop log….if not airframe IMHO, not about where weights go. Mine is a sticker in airframe log…. ground adjustable FP prop.

Survey

You should turn this into a poll. If I were doing the work, it would go in the engine log.

prop log.. If the prop were to be replaced, the weights would come off too. There is no wrong answer, but I think most people would look in the prop log for this...

depends. if it is a static balance then the prop log. if it is a dynamic balance, that is balancing the engine,prop,spinner combination and should go in the airframe log.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

The IA who did my dynamic balance said he always uses the airframe book if there isn’t a prop log, which as I understand it there usually isn’t with fixed pitched props.

Log Entry

Prop book if you have one. If not you could start one and the prop then lives it’s own life separate from the engine & airframe. If you would rather not do that then Airframe book. Wouldn’t hurt a thing to put the entry in all available books.

Don Broussard A&P/IA/ATP
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Wouldn’t hurt a thing to put the entry in all available books.

Don Broussard A&P/IA/ATP
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Is it acceptable and/or common practice to cross reference from one log book to another?

For example put prop balancing in airframe logbook but cross reference to refer to the prop or engine logbook for additional details. That links them so in a prop change you would need a balancing change. Different then putting on a bigger alternator that requires a cowl bump. There you would log them separately in each logbook but not really need a cross reference.

I don’t see a problem with that. Some day though, the engine may be sold and a new engine obtained, but who cares, as long as the engine logs reflect engine maintenance. Your bigger alternator scenario goes in the airframe anyway. I think it’s a good idea to mention the prop balance in both the prop book, as well as the engine book, shows history to the engine that it’s been running a balanced prop.

Back