What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Propeller Governor Manual

More specifically...I have a Hartzell F-4 11A Propeller Governor and it is weeping oil from the second gasket...not the gasket that is between the crankcase and the governor assembly but it appears to be the next gasket outboard...it kinda looks like an adapter of sorts. The body of the goveneror has stamped "F-4-11A B1927" and this adapter has stamped "B1927" so I need the gasket that is between the two B1927s.

Have anyone opened up one of these governors and is there any tricks or gotchas?

Is there a shaft seal inside that might be the culprit?

Is there an exploded view part catalog or service manual available for this device?

I couldn't find a manual or anything to link to, but I'd suggest calling Hartzell. When I had questions on my Governor they were very helpful and actually got me right through to there tech guys who were more than accommodating. I was impressed with there customer service.

Lynn

That should be a simple fix for a prop shop with test rig and the parts. I suggest going local in California as that is where you are. If you strike out there send me a message and you can send it to the shop where I work.
Make sure you tell them you just want the leak fixed and that this is an experimental application. A good shop will (tell them this), run it on the test stand to confirm the leak. Then fix the leak and run it on the test stand to set rpm and check output. Well within the wheel house of most prop shops.

Joe, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D
Thanks, I've been working on props for the last 33 years. Mostly airliner and military, but I cut my teeth on Shorts 360, Metro, 1900, KA's lots of GA along the way...
Cherokee 180F driver, Propeller repairman, and A&P. I'd like to build an RV at some point.

Back