Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2022, 08:02 PM

I documented most of my deviations and modifications in this blog post.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2021 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 01-08-2022, 09:12 AM

Default Rv 9 mods

Dynon/ gretz pitot
Hidden hinges for oil door
Glove box
Conduits for wires in wings
Static/pitot plastic pipes
Stainless steel heat door
Andair gascolator
Emags with auto plugs
Mods to nose wheel
Fancy handle for fuel selector
Old 01-25-2022, 06:56 PM

Very nice reading Bruce!
Old 02-18-2022, 09:56 AM

Bruce--Thanks for taking the time to document your build! I'm working my way through your build log.

I'm contemplating the 9A. I'd like the 10, but the total cost in and flight hour cost is looking a bit prohibitive. The 320 in the 9A is a nice solution.

I haven't sat in a 9 yet, so not sure if I would fit comfortably. I'm 6'3" and 200lbs.... The 14 is nice, but the 10 is much nicer.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:32 PM

Default Just me

When i visited Vans, the -14 had just come out. I had a choice to see both, but only fly in one.
I really liked the -14, but i just could not get my head around the difference in price. The performance was no significantly better, but there was a little more room for my wide sholders.

I ended up building a 9A and am glad I did. I think if i had chosen the -14, it would be on the shelf now waiting for funds.

My mods are a little different than Bruce's:
G3X instruments
Gretz pitot tube mount w/ Garmin tube.
new nose gear
elec trim all around
Io 320 w/ mags
PH aviation flap motor
Sikaflex canopy glue (no rivets in plexiglass)
Fiberglass rear canopy skirt

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Structure done (less gear)
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done
Fiberglass 70%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 02-21-2022, 11:20 AM

John - Thanks for posting your modifications!

I'll have to go through your blog next. I'm working my way thru Bruce's webpage. The Sikaflex is really a nice solution on the canopy. A lot of work, but really nice. I have seen the Sikaflex used in a few industrial projects that are exposed to harsh environments. Bruce--Thanks for all the details!!!

Do either of you have a pic on your blog of you and someone else sitting in the 9? i.e. shoulder space, etc.

I'm currently flying a Cherokee 140, so I'm trying to adapt my thinking on my actual requirements.... Reality versus perceived need.... I think the 9 would fit my mission quite nicely, but I like the idea of the 10, just not the cost. Before joining the Cherokee 140 flying club, I had toyed with the idea of buying a Beechcraft Sundowner. I had also gone for a flight in a Beech Musketeer 150 Sport.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:09 AM

Default I'm not a builder but...

...based on my maintenance experience, I would definitely install the PH aviation flap motor instead of the stock Vans model. It appears to be a much more robust unit and the built-in limit switch is just what you want.

For what it's worth, Vans' new design for the air box appears to be a major improvement as well. (https://www.vansaircraft.com/service...-instructions/). I had problems with the hinge on the carb heat door, and when I got in there it looked like I wasn't the first one to have that problem on 9JA.

You'll definitely want to try one on. If you're 6-3 and 200, whether you fit may depend on your seated height and also on how the panel is installed. Some taller people can have knee issues fitting into a -9 in my limited experience. Shoulder-width-wise, I owned a Warrior and I don't really notice much of a difference in cockpit width, but my ace copilot and I aren't very big.

The -9A is a nearly perfect aircraft in my opinion. Can't tell you how much I like it. If you fit in it, I doubt you'll go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
When i visited Vans, the -14 had just come out. I had a choice to see both, but only fly in one.
I really liked the -14, but i just could not get my head around the difference in price. The performance was no significantly better, but there was a little more room for my wide sholders.

I ended up building a 9A and am glad I did. I think if i had chosen the -14, it would be on the shelf now waiting for funds.

My mods are a little different than Bruce's:
G3X instruments
Gretz pitot tube mount w/ Garmin tube.
new nose gear
elec trim all around
Io 320 w/ mags
PH aviation flap motor
Sikaflex canopy glue (no rivets in plexiglass)
Fiberglass rear canopy skirt
2022 Dues Paid

Last edited by Dugaru : 02-22-2022 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:16 AM

Default best Change/addition

The best change i think I did was update the brakes on the rudder pedals to a stainless steel rod as a pivot, instead of the two bolts on each side. So many stories about brakes hanging up and it was really quick fix.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Fiberglass 70%
Old 03-08-2022, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer1980 View Post
Bruce--Thanks for taking the time to document your build! I'm working my way through your build log.

I'm contemplating the 9A. I'd like the 10, but the total cost in and flight hour cost is looking a bit prohibitive. The 320 in the 9A is a nice solution.

I haven't sat in a 9 yet, so not sure if I would fit comfortably. I'm 6'3" and 200lbs.... The 14 is nice, but the 10 is much nicer.
6'2" here and around 200 lb and fit the RV9A fine, if you fit it a bit too snug have a look at the Antisplat Aero "almost a 14" modification and I think you'll have more than enough space.

The RV9A is a phenomenal aircraft indeed.

Nigel Heald
RV9a G-CSAM @ Exeter EGTE UK
Finally finished
Old 05-24-2022, 08:44 PM

Default Big holes

Another change I did was enlarge the holes in the ribs that serve as baffles in the fuel tank. This allows for faster filling because it gives the escaping air an easier time to get to the filler neck. I think i enlarged the tooling holes to 1 holes top and bottom.

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Fiberglass 70%