What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (1/15/22 - 1/16/22)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
I gave two of my son’s college friends their first RV ride (Friday). Business major Will on the left (first small plane ride) and math major Jordon on the right (2nd small plane ride - first in RV). Jordon is one of Tate's roommates. They each flew around 25 minutes with me coaching. Picked it up fast.

What was Tate doing while I gave rides? Replacing the front rotors and brake pads on the ’07 Honda Accord that he drives. He got rotors and pads for Xmas…..he requested them. I doubt many of his college friends know how to put a car up on a lift and do this kind of work. I’m really proud that the kiddo learned this - it'll pay dividends.

Will and Jordon post flights:
IMG_5184-X2.jpg

Their flights:
IMG_5185-XL.jpg

My blood Ox during the day (you can see the two flights as bumps - read altitude off the right, Ox off the left):
IMG_5186-X3.jpg

Last edited:
-15F this morning, but above zero when I got the plane out for some snooping around the area. Took a picture of an interesting trend starting to pop up around here - shed condos. Buildings and patch of land it's on are purchased, and there is a minimal association fees to plow snow, etc..

Attachments

• Shed condos 15JAN22.jpg
    Shed condos 15JAN22.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 317
  • 15JAN22.jpg
    15JAN22.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 221
Went up for a quick evening flight just to circle up over my home airport (56S) before a fast moving low stratus layer overtook the airport -- as a few miles west the low clouds formed this wave as they banked up against Tillamook Head.

FF_rRQNII4Bi5V21zV_1uB_GKLikQp4C5Sp2kMYtt5PiLgz62tycaJvygSEwdTd0nd9KhzGOJt9T8sfl5r9nf6H3Yi-qwKh0-XTIPuQ-Qeh_7pxvWkPYKYivVfh51DTjvkv2cG_SP4Q=w2400

Flew for about 15 minutes under an overcast in mid 30's temperatures. Ran into drizzle, which I didn't like given the temperatures. RTB'd and did an oil/filter change, retorqued the prop, etc. Even took the 5-6 gallons of used oil I had at the hangar and dumped it in the recycling tank at the FBO.

A productive Saturday, even if I didn't get much flying in.

Accomack County, Virginia

Mugsy and I flew down to Accomack County, Virginia for lunch. I took this nice shot of Mugsy in the late afternoon winter sun on the way back. That's the Chesapeake Bay in the background.

Attachments

• MFV_27.jpg
    MFV_27.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 214
SpaceX up close and personal

Slinky and I went down to Jupiter, Fl. to visit old sailing buddies. Lili is a retired NASA type from Houston and she told me SpaceX had a launch scheduled at 10:25 Thursday morning.
My trusty old E6B told me I was 59 minutes from the cape so we launched at 9:26, T minus 59. Weather was CAVU. Controllers very friendly, air smooth, heater working. Had just a few knots more tailwind than forecast so leaned back about 10 knots for a couple minutes.
We arrived at a perfect time and had an incredible view of the lainch. It sure happens fast.
I love these planes and what they allow us to experience.
Keep pounding those rivets.

Attachments

• E0959BE1-BCC0-4B97-9F94-71AAE1E9B589.jpg
    E0959BE1-BCC0-4B97-9F94-71AAE1E9B589.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 325
  • B200D4E8-2B6C-46F9-8D5B-C88E1D6B21E6.jpg
    B200D4E8-2B6C-46F9-8D5B-C88E1D6B21E6.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 331
3 ship to NorCal for lunch.

Attachments

• IMG_20220116_111325716_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220116_111325716_HDR.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 253
Went up for a quick evening flight just to circle up over my home airport (56S) before a fast moving low stratus layer overtook the airport -- as a few miles west the low clouds formed this wave as they banked up against Tillamook Head.

FF_rRQNII4Bi5V21zV_1uB_GKLikQp4C5Sp2kMYtt5PiLgz62tycaJvygSEwdTd0nd9KhzGOJt9T8sfl5r9nf6H3Yi-qwKh0-XTIPuQ-Qeh_7pxvWkPYKYivVfh51DTjvkv2cG_SP4Q=w2400

That is an awesome sight from above. Can't wait until I can make those flights too! I am close so will be a short flight.

After three weeks of almost non-stop rain, last week we finally got some VFR days in the Portland area. I didn't go anywhere in particular, just sightseeing around town and trying to not let myself get too rusty.

wtRiobv.jpeg

GoX0Jan.jpeg

First flight over DFW (4500 msl). Not a big deal for a lot of people but a first for us. Still pretty cool.

Attachments

• 4B54E8D9-60A5-4942-9D34-0B0A9A1159CF.jpg
    4B54E8D9-60A5-4942-9D34-0B0A9A1159CF.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 241
After three weeks of almost non-stop rain, last week we finally got some VFR days in the Portland area. I didn't go anywhere in particular, just sightseeing around town and trying to not let myself get too rusty.
I love that "sightseeing around town" can involve popping up over snow-capped volcanos. We are so fortunate to have these amazing machines and to live in such a beautiful part of the world.

Have been teaching myself some basic riveting/nut plate techniques to repair some cracked wheel pant fairing brackets.

4 attempts to get one of them right but finally got em' all re-assembled and put back on the airplane.

I'm slow but I learn. :)

Flew it 45 minutes, then started taking it apart...annual time.

On the list for this year, R&R a corroded throttle/mixture cable bracket. Radiant heating baked off all the paint. High temperature accelerates corrosion. I was kinda surprised to see how much surface material was gone when I bead blasted it. Not enough to be dangerous, but a good lesson.

FWIW, it's now been modified with some ears and nutplates, in order to attached a more extensive heat shield. That's the old cable shield in the photo, with all the prior insulation removed.
-

Attachments

• Cable Bracket.jpg
    Cable Bracket.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
First flight over DFW (4500 msl). Not a big deal for a lot of people but a first for us. Still pretty cool.

What I find interesting about this picture is "what's missing"

ME! Because I am on vacation! :D

If redoing my baffling for the forth time can be considered "vacation"

Back