What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ATC Zero?

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
Anybody know what caused Abilene Approach to go ATC Zero yesterday afternoon? I was returning home from Tulsa and just got to their frequency when they started handing off back to Center for ATC Zero.

Anybody know what caused Abilene Approach to go ATC Zero yesterday afternoon? I was returning home from Tulsa and just got to their frequency when they started handing off back to Center for ATC Zero.

If it's like the other 100 or so ATC Zero events that I am aware of over the last several months, it's because a controller or other worker tested positive for covid, and so they had to do a mandatory "covid cleaning."

Most likely the case.
We issued a bulletin to the crews on how to deal with ATC zero situations when the whole Covid thing started to blow up. Used a bunch of times over the contiguous US but fortunately so far we have never had to use it over water.

Fill me in. How actively engaged is a flight crew with ATC while transoceanic, other than position reports at intervals and monitoring SELCAL?

Seems the idiots in North Korea were firing off their hypersonic missile; ATC has to clear all the airspace in the West to allow better tracking if it came this way.

So, If they are rattling their swords, and their buddy is China, why are we economically supporting an enemy????????
The recent spate of ATC zero events have nothing to do with N. Korea or international saber rattling. As xblueh2o said, it means the tower, TRACON or other facility is temporarily unable to provide ATC services. Many such have been occurring recently due to Covid, including a couple at the KHIO tower not too far from where I'm at.

Last edited:
Back