What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Pressure Access Wheel Pants 7 or 7A

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
Anyone created an air pressure access hole in the wheel pants? Where on the pant? and if so, what kind of extension tool do you use to get at the valve stem...photos? And how do you drill the fiberglass without making a mess? Thanks

Yes.
extender from here: https://www.aircraftextras.com/Valve-ext.htm
I just drilled a simple hole lined up with the valve stem when it's in the 3 o'clock position (aft). (Edit: sorry, 9 o’clock in the attached photo!)
Unibit works fine.
Can't remember how I located the right spot for the hole. There's a few ways to do it.
I mark the tire sidewall with yellow paint so when the stripe is down, the stem is lined up with the hole.
Some put in little doors and such, but I live with the 0.01 knot loss in favor of simplicity.
No specific photos, but here is a zoomed in that gives you the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_6929 (2).JPG
    IMG_6929 (2).JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
That's neat!!!! was wondering about that problem for weeks now. Here's the solution. Thank you Mike!

Yes.
extender from here: https://www.aircraftextras.com/Valve-ext.htm
I just drilled a simple hole lined up with the valve stem when it's in the 3 o'clock position (aft).
Unibit works fine.
Can't remember how I located the right spot for the hole. There's a few ways to do it.
I mark the tire sidewall with yellow paint so when the stripe is down, the stem is lined up with the hole.
Some put in little doors and such, but I live with the 0.01 knot loss in favor of simplicity.
No specific photos, but here is a zoomed in that gives you the idea.

Question, do you leave the valve stem cap off all the time or do you remove it through the same hole every time?

The only problem I see is locating the hole in the right place. would need to be done with the rear pan on, but no access as it's very tight in there. I guess a 1" hole would leave a little margin for error. Stem cap can be removed with a nut driver..

The only problem I see is locating the hole in the right place. would need to be done with the rear pan on, but no access as it's very tight in there. I guess a 1" hole would leave a little margin for error. Stem cap can be removed with a nut driver..

1" is fine. Just measure the radial distance from the center of the wheel (the axle) to the valve stem to figure out how far outboard of the center wheel pant attachment screw to locate the hole. Drill it out to 7/8" or 1", and fit a snap-in plug.

When it is time to refill, get a piece of flexible plastic or rubber tubing that will push right down over the valve stem cap, and use that to unscrew and remove the cap. Works easily.

Setup a laser pointer to point at the valve stem with the pant off. Then put the pant on and mark the laser dot with a marker. Take the pant off and drill the hole. Works perfect every time. I used this method to locate all my mounting holes.

Just remove the front wheel pant and then line it up visually for drilling the 1” hole in the aft fairing. I use a reinforced piece of rubber gasoline hose from NAPA to insert into the hole, that fits snugly over the valve stem cap and just twist it off. My valve stem extension piece from Cleveland air tool then easily slides onto the valve stem for filling/pressure testing. I use a simple plastic cap plug from almost any hardware store to snap onto the hole when finished. I use the kind that sit flush. They come in white or black and can be painted to match your wheel pant so you can barely see it. I also paint a line at the bottom on the tire so I can line it up for checking/filling.

This is why...

This is why I maintain my membership here at VAF. Genius!

-Marc

Setup a laser pointer to point at the valve stem with the pant off. Then put the pant on and mark the laser dot with a marker. Take the pant off and drill the hole. Works perfect every time. I used this method to locate all my mounting holes.

Question, do you leave the valve stem cap off all the time or do you remove it through the same hole every time?

I’m bad, I leave the cap off. But, I don’t fly off dirt or turf, so I’ve never had an issue. Mostly just have rubber dust in the fairings.

Agree with these various access methods but with Michelin Air Stop inner tubes I check pressures/inflate as necessary at November condition inspection and before summer coast-to-coast trip. Pants off at annual, so access hole check/fill only happens once a year.

Anyone created an air pressure access hole in the wheel pants? Where on the pant? and if so, what kind of extension tool do you use to get at the valve stem...photos? And how do you drill the fiberglass without making a mess? Thanks

For the past 24-years, I just remove the front of the wheel pant when I need air. This allows for inspection of the brake pads.

+1 !!! Great tool - -smallest diameter I have ever found!

For the past 24-years, I just remove the front of the wheel pant when I need air. This allows for inspection of the brake pads.
You use the brakes??:D

Seriously - my pads are projecting to 4000 hrs life, but plenty other stuff to keep and eye on, so it is pants off.

Back