What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick Seating Depth WD-1012 / WD-1011

Well Known Member
I was setting up to drill the WD-1012 control stick and WD-1011 base. The plans say to insert the stick "as far as it will go," without any sort of dimension called out.

At first, I could only get the stick in a very short distance, such that I wasn't comfortable with the edge distance between where the hole would go and the end of the stick. Also, it didn't seem quite enough insertion was available to ensure good transfer of stick forces through the base.

I figured, like with many of the powder coated parts in the kit, and confirmed that there was some amount of excess powder coat inside the socket on the stick mount. After removing this as much as possible, I deburred the area of the weld inside the stick base, and was able to get the stick somewhat further into the socket, but not nearly all the way. The geometry of the stick base weldment seems to make it likely that the stick wouldn't fit all the way in no matter what.

At the time, I made the judgment that the insertion and edge distance was enough, but I think it's prudent to ask about this:

How far does the stick go into the socket in a correct installation? On mine, the hole I drilled has about 9/16" edge distance from the end of the stick, and the stick inserts far enough to go all the way through the parallel socket, and about halfway into the nearly perpendicular part of the weldment.

OK, so I may have answered my own question by searching a number of people's build logs online with better search terms. It seems from the pictures I can find, that most people see the same issue, even if they don't mention it explicitly.

Additionally, it seems some people install as-is, and some trim the bottom of the stick to move the stick slightly aft to help clear the panel. I wonder if this works out once the seats and upholstery are in place, for forward seating positions.

Edit: Having read a number of posts on this topic, I'm just going to go with what I have and if it becomes necessary, to try to use an angled bushing or slight change in stick curvature to handle any potential interference issues.

Last edited:
OK, so I may have answered my own question by searching a number of people's build logs online with better search terms. It seems from the pictures I can find, that most people see the same issue, even if they don't mention it explicitly.

Additionally, it seems some people install as-is, and some trim the bottom of the stick to move the stick slightly aft to help clear the panel. I wonder if this works out once the seats and upholstery are in place, for forward seating positions.

Edit: Having read a number of posts on this topic, I'm just going to go with what I have and if it becomes necessary, to try to use an angled bushing or slight change in stick curvature to handle any potential interference issues.

I drilled a second set of holes to allow me to cut off some of the lower stick, but ended up not cutting. Be advised that it is not just panel clearance, but also gut clearance. You will find that it is easy to have the stick hit your gut before reaching the elevator stop, especially if you don't have long legs.

Larry

Back