What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filling in wing tip rib

mc607

Well Known Member
Are there any pros or cons to filling in the small triangular void at the te of the wingtip rib?54935336-4069-4A68-9E22-B5EF83C1BDDA.jpeg

Cons:

More / extra work.
More time spent getting airplane ready to fly.
More weight.
Water / condensate does not have an exit path.

JMHO.

I fill in the complete end rib on the wingtips and all control surfaces. This is strictly cosmetic and does take time. I drill a 3/16” hole through the glass fill on the trailing edge to have a water drain path.

I like the “finished” look, but build yours as you want.

Carl

Filling in the butt ribs on control surfaces will reduce some drag, however be cautioned that there must be a drain hole for water to exit, or there could be corrosion and or imbalance.

DAR Gary

Some data...

+1 for Carl's and Gary's comments.

I recall reading a Bob Axom post from long ago, so I decided to tinker a bit with my -7.

Experiment:

I covered all of the rib ends with HVAC aluminum tape to create a smooth surface and overlapped pieces such that they wouldn't bind the flight controls if they came loose.

Aesthetics aside, I found that covering the inboard elevator ribs (E-705, E-709) yielded the greatest speed gain of ~2Ktas @ 6500ft. (1.75Ktas, 3Ktas, 2Ktas, 1Ktas, etc.)

All of the other counterweight "horns" and rib end coves didn't yield anything measurable. I suspect this is due to the angle that the elevator ribs are relative to the airstream causing a low pressure "suck" at that location.

...Steve Smith please opine...

Finish Technique:

I used 1/2" Owens Corning foam board for the filler material. I created a 3/16" radius around the edges of the foam so the rib would nestle inside the rib curve and provide a lip of sorts for the epoxy + filler to hold the rib into place. Glued the foam into rib "cove" with West Systems epoxy on the inside and West Systems Epoxy + milled fibers (fiberglass, not cotton flox) on the outside. Finish sanded flush with the skin edge. Drilled a small (#27 drill) hole into the trailing edges and bottom rib/flange holes to allow for water egress.

Back