What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Circuit Breaker Location-Panel or Center Power Module?

Meat

Patron
Hi All,

I'm in the middle of designing my SteinAir sourced panel for my QB RV-14. Looking for opinion's pro and con on circuit breaker locations. I see panels that have the CBs mounted on the far right side. And others that use the stock center lower Power Module location under the panel. I'm leaning to the stock Power Module location to save valuable panel space and give me better access to the CBs from the left seat. But maybe there's good reasons to have them on the panel. I don't have access panels on the upper forward fuselage skin but am considering them. For now, I'm approaching my panel setup assuming I won't have those access panels.

Thanks for your time.

Scott

I put my CB's on the centre tunnel using Van's optional angle brackets.
I really like them there. Easy to get to however can't see the top row of CB's without bending a bit. It is a great place to have them from a wiring respective as well. CB's are not normally used very often so they need not take up prime real estate. I have a close up picture of my CB panel showing CB layout laminated on the back of my checklist that can be used to quickly find CB location.

The only down side it makes getting to the fuel pump and filter more difficult.

Attachments

• 64417891857__C7366F6D-C45C-4097-AD86-867948F247F2.jpg
    64417891857__C7366F6D-C45C-4097-AD86-867948F247F2.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 408
One suggestion if mounting the CB with Van's power module. Install your fuel filters in the wing root . Access to the fuel filter in Van's location is difficult enough with the full top panel access rather than with the Power module on top. Yes you can remove the complete assembly for filter access but that's more work and a pain. My 14 has the fuel filter in Van's location and it's a pain to service. My friend has the power module with wing root filters and I purchased the power module and am about to purchase the wing root filter kit from Aircraft Specialty and do the modification later this winter.

I used VPX so I did not need to decide (Just have CB's for the EFII on the right hand side) Yes use the wing filters kit that Aircraft Specialty makes. I'm using that in the 10 and should make tunnel entry less of a problem. (I am also using an access panel on one side of the tunnel to inspect the fuel selector and tubing that will need to be there anyway) You are going to need to access the tunnel during annuals and with the power module there will be an issue getting access to the tunnel. I really like the VPX system and has helped troubleshoot a landing light issue I had. The power module location can be repurposed for a glove box which is what I have on the 14. If you are using tank return lines I would definitely have a panel in the tunnel. There's a lot going on in the tunnel even without the filters being there.

You will certainly get lots of opinions on this one - here’s mine, and maybe it will add some different ideas.

When I built, the center angle power module wasn’t available, but I won’t be using it on my new build either. I don’t like an all fuse setup (especially barely accessible), nor do I like a matrix of breakers way on the right side. My solution was a hybrid - a mix of resettable breakers on the main instrument panel (things I want/need to reset or be able to turn off) and fuses (things to resolve on the ground). The breakers are in a single row just under the MFD on the passenger side - about 10-12 and about half avionics items. Then there are two fuse blocks divided into 3 buses (main, avionics, emergency/keep-alive) - these are located on the vertical brace (maybe called wire channel?).

This all gave me ergonomics (fewer breakers, easy to get to), finer wiring resolution (I have ~30 fuses and ~10 breakers) and I kept my tunnel access open (for fuel pump/filter access). I also was able to add an easily removable (Velcro) cockpit caddy aft of the fuses on top of the tunnel that organizes sunglasses, pulse-ox, power cable, etc. I’ll try and add a couple pics.

There are 12 switchable breakers plus 2 spare holes (never needed).
2nd picture is the wiring channel before mounting showing one fuse block open and one covered. Each block has 2 buses - one entire block is main, 1/2 the 2nd is avionics, 1/2 essential/keep-alive.
3rd pic shows the console mounted in front of the wiring channel (with fuse blocks) - it is attached to the tunnel with industrial velcro.

Attachments

• IMG_5474.jpg
    IMG_5474.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_3608.jpg
    IMG_3608.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC00150 small.jpeg
    DSC00150 small.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
You will certainly get lots of opinions on this one - here’s mine, and maybe it will add some different ideas.

When I built, the center angle power module wasn’t available, but I won’t be using it on my new build either. I don’t like an all fuse setup (especially barely accessible), nor do I like a matrix of breakers way on the right side. My solution was a hybrid - a mix of resettable breakers on the main instrument panel (things I want/need to reset or be able to turn off) and fuses (things to resolve on the ground). The breakers are in a single row just under the MFD on the passenger side - about 10-12 and about half avionics items. Then there are two fuse blocks divided into 3 buses (main, avionics, emergency/keep-alive) - these are located on the vertical brace (maybe called wire channel?).

This all gave me ergonomics (fewer breakers, easy to get to), finer wiring resolution (I have ~30 fuses and ~10 breakers) and I kept my tunnel access open (for fuel pump/filter access). I also was able to add an easily removable (Velcro) cockpit caddy aft of the fuses on top of the tunnel that organizes sunglasses, pulse-ox, power cable, etc. I’ll try and add a couple pics.

This idea appeals to me a great deal. Could you post some pictures?
Thanks!!!
JET:cool:

I have circuit breakers on the power module panel, it's what I prefer and am used to. It's an individual choice for sure, no right or wrong answer.

Attachments

• 20181019_145901 (Medium).jpg
    20181019_145901 (Medium).jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 366
One thing to consider is your height, as a tall guy I would have a hard time checking breakers under the panel regardless of positioning.

I'm doing a 14 complete wiring job and panel right now, I elected to put them on the right side of the G3X MFD for a number of reasons.

This idea appeals to me a great deal. Could you post some pictures?

Pictures added to post above. If you want to discuss, PM me with phone # or email and we can chat.

Thanks so much to everyone so far for your time and photos. Great points about fuel pump/filter access. I hadn't thought of that angle. Much food for thought.

Cheers,
Scott

Page 2 on the avionics kit PDF at the WIKI has more topics on similar topics for your planing ideas.

Also page 29 of the general construction PDF has a lot of avionics discussions

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Back