Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
Unless you had well insulated ducting the heat loss would be greater in the return air line to the heater. ....
Of course the return air forced back into the heater would have heat loss. Otherwise, nothing gained! Come on...it won't be cooler than new (un-recirculated) cold air!
Old 01-10-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
Of course the return air forced back into the heater would have heat loss. Otherwise, nothing gained! Come on...it won't be cooler than new (un-recirculated) cold air!
Im not saying it wouldnt be better. I am saying the benefit is not worth the cost or effort to me. It is not easy to seal off the exhaust area and slot cut for the nose wheel. I cant imagine what type and shape of plenum would be needed to seal around the exhaust pipes. I have several scratches on my head now and trying to set up a return air system while crawling on frozen concrete doesnt make sense to me. If you want to deo that on your plane, take some pictures so we can all learn something.
Flying N376E
Old 01-10-2022, 01:49 PM

Yesterday the oil temp just before starting was 75F while the air temp was 42F.
RV 14A - #140252 - Flying
France
2021 Dues Paid
Old 01-21-2022, 05:45 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. Decided to go with a combo from the suggestions. Hope you all didnt have patents working😀
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01C19B14-9293-4595-AB71-CF205A555030.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	21284  
Old 01-24-2022, 07:37 AM

Default Reiff Heating System

All these look pretty cool and I'm sure they all work well but it seems like a lot of work for something that already exists.

The Reiff system with cylinder bands and oil sump heating plate keeps everything nice and toasty here in Michigan. And of course a remote on/off switch.
AA-5B, N28684, Sold
Old 01-24-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerMan92 View Post
All these look pretty cool and I'm sure they all work well but it seems like a lot of work for something that already exists.

The Reiff system with cylinder bands and oil sump heating plate keeps everything nice and toasty here in Michigan. And of course a remote on/off switch.
Im interested in your remote on/off switch. I may fly over KOZW tomorrow if the weather is as forecasted.
Flying N376E
Old 01-25-2022, 05:40 AM

Wife and I needed to make a trip to N Texas a couple weekends ago and I knew the Temps the morning of departure was going to be in the 20's! I needed something to preheat a little for sure! I dug around and came up with an old hairdryer and a 8" piece of thin walled galvanized pipe and brought along an extension cord. We got to the airport it was 27 deg, I pushed the plane over near a 110v outlet and inserted (wedged) the hairdryer in between my 4 pipe exhaust. The end of the 2" pipe was about an inch from the oil sump. I left my cowl plugs in and fired it up and then we went in the FBO and watched 1 episode of Leave it to Beaver, checking on the hairdryer several times to make sure I wasn't burning up the plane. To my surprise and delight, the oil temp came up from 27 deg to 76 in about 35 minutes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220116_123555.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	21432  Click image for larger version

Name:	20220116_123635.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	21433  
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Dues Paid
Old 01-25-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDale View Post
Wife and I needed to make a trip to N Texas a couple weekends ago and I knew the Temps the morning of departure was going to be in the 20's! I needed something to preheat a little for sure! I dug around and came up with an old hairdryer and a 8" piece of thin walled galvanized pipe and brought along an extension cord. We got to the airport it was 27 deg, I pushed the plane over near a 110v outlet and inserted (wedged) the hairdryer in between my 4 pipe exhaust. The end of the 2" pipe was about an inch from the oil sump. I left my cowl plugs in and fired it up and then we went in the FBO and watched 1 episode of Leave it to Beaver, checking on the hairdryer several times to make sure I wasn't burning up the plane. To my surprise and delight, the oil temp came up from 27 deg to 76 in about 35 minutes!
Oh man! My wife has had enough hair dryers die a sparking death over the years that I can't even imagine leaving an unattended hair dryer anywhere near my airplane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerMan92 View Post

Yeah, this. At least something that doesn't use a red-hot glowing element in a volatile environment and has a track record of safety for airplane-warming. I have both my new cockpit heater and my Reiff engine pre-heater on a cell-phone switch and that makes the whole thing very convenient.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 01-25-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:07 AM

All these hair dryer remedies give me the creeps. I would not leave my plane unattended with those setups. To me it is a recipe for disaster.

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 donor and happy to do it.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:14 AM

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Automotiv...77J5DSFJ&psc=1

I plug in when I leave the hanger and leave it on until I get back. No fumes or flames. It's been working for over 10 years for me here in PA.