VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-10-2022, 09:18 AM
Radioflyer Radioflyer is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
Unless you had well insulated ducting the heat loss would be greater in the return air line to the heater. ....
Of course the return air forced back into the heater would have heat loss. Otherwise, nothing gained! Come on...it won't be cooler than new (un-recirculated) cold air!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-10-2022, 11:46 AM
rockwoodrv9 rockwoodrv9 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Meridian ID, Aspen CO, Okemos MI
Posts: 3,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
Of course the return air forced back into the heater would have heat loss. Otherwise, nothing gained! Come on...it won't be cooler than new (un-recirculated) cold air!
Im not saying it wouldnt be better. I am saying the benefit is not worth the cost or effort to me. It is not easy to seal off the exhaust area and slot cut for the nose wheel. I cant imagine what type and shape of plenum would be needed to seal around the exhaust pipes. I have several scratches on my head now and trying to set up a return air system while crawling on frozen concrete doesnt make sense to me. If you want to deo that on your plane, take some pictures so we can all learn something.
__________________
rockwoodrv9a
Williamston MI
O-320 D2A
Flying N376E
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-10-2022, 01:49 PM
Erimo's Avatar
Erimo Erimo is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Marcoussis, France
Posts: 156
Default

Yesterday the oil temp just before starting was 75F while the air temp was 42F.
__________________
Eric
RV 14A - #140252 - Flying
France
2021 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-21-2022, 05:45 PM
Redbud40 Redbud40 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tx
Posts: 135
Default

Thanks for all the ideas. Decided to go with a combo from the suggestions. Hope you all didnt have patents working😀
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01C19B14-9293-4595-AB71-CF205A555030.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	21284  
__________________
Mike Robinson
RV-6a N731CK
66TE
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-24-2022, 07:37 AM
TigerMan92's Avatar
TigerMan92 TigerMan92 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 122
Default Reiff Heating System

All these look pretty cool and I'm sure they all work well but it seems like a lot of work for something that already exists.

The Reiff system with cylinder bands and oil sump heating plate keeps everything nice and toasty here in Michigan. And of course a remote on/off switch.
__________________
KOZW
RV-7A, XIO-360, MT CS 3Blade, Slider
AG-5B, N521TT, Sold
AA-5B, N28684, Sold
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-24-2022, 07:38 PM
rockwoodrv9 rockwoodrv9 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Meridian ID, Aspen CO, Okemos MI
Posts: 3,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerMan92 View Post
All these look pretty cool and I'm sure they all work well but it seems like a lot of work for something that already exists.

The Reiff system with cylinder bands and oil sump heating plate keeps everything nice and toasty here in Michigan. And of course a remote on/off switch.
Im interested in your remote on/off switch. I may fly over KOZW tomorrow if the weather is as forecasted.
__________________
rockwoodrv9a
Williamston MI
O-320 D2A
Flying N376E
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-25-2022, 05:40 AM
MikeyDale's Avatar
MikeyDale MikeyDale is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Garden City Texas
Posts: 929
Default

Wife and I needed to make a trip to N Texas a couple weekends ago and I knew the Temps the morning of departure was going to be in the 20's! I needed something to preheat a little for sure! I dug around and came up with an old hairdryer and a 8" piece of thin walled galvanized pipe and brought along an extension cord. We got to the airport it was 27 deg, I pushed the plane over near a 110v outlet and inserted (wedged) the hairdryer in between my 4 pipe exhaust. The end of the 2" pipe was about an inch from the oil sump. I left my cowl plugs in and fired it up and then we went in the FBO and watched 1 episode of Leave it to Beaver, checking on the hairdryer several times to make sure I wasn't burning up the plane. To my surprise and delight, the oil temp came up from 27 deg to 76 in about 35 minutes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220116_123555.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	21432  Click image for larger version

Name:	20220116_123635.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	21433  
__________________
Mike Hillger
RV 7 FLYING SINCE 4/2015!
Garden City, Texas
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-25-2022, 05:56 AM
MacCool's Avatar
MacCool MacCool is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: central Minnesota
Posts: 976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDale View Post
Wife and I needed to make a trip to N Texas a couple weekends ago and I knew the Temps the morning of departure was going to be in the 20's! I needed something to preheat a little for sure! I dug around and came up with an old hairdryer and a 8" piece of thin walled galvanized pipe and brought along an extension cord. We got to the airport it was 27 deg, I pushed the plane over near a 110v outlet and inserted (wedged) the hairdryer in between my 4 pipe exhaust. The end of the 2" pipe was about an inch from the oil sump. I left my cowl plugs in and fired it up and then we went in the FBO and watched 1 episode of Leave it to Beaver, checking on the hairdryer several times to make sure I wasn't burning up the plane. To my surprise and delight, the oil temp came up from 27 deg to 76 in about 35 minutes!
Oh man! My wife has had enough hair dryers die a sparking death over the years that I can't even imagine leaving an unattended hair dryer anywhere near my airplane.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerMan92 View Post
All these look pretty cool and I'm sure they all work well but it seems like a lot of work for something that already exists.

The Reiff system with cylinder bands and oil sump heating plate keeps everything nice and toasty here in Michigan. And of course a remote on/off switch.
Yeah, this. At least something that doesn't use a red-hot glowing element in a volatile environment and has a track record of safety for airplane-warming. I have both my new cockpit heater and my Reiff engine pre-heater on a cell-phone switch and that makes the whole thing very convenient.
__________________
RV-9A, 2011, bought flying
IO-320D1A (factory new), C/S
IFR equipped
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 01-25-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-25-2022, 06:07 AM
Planecrazy232's Avatar
Planecrazy232 Planecrazy232 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 472
Default

All these hair dryer remedies give me the creeps. I would not leave my plane unattended with those setups. To me it is a recipe for disaster.
__________________
Thanks,

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 donor and happy to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-25-2022, 06:14 AM
swordtail swordtail is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Grindstone, PA
Posts: 175
Default

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Automotiv...77J5DSFJ&psc=1

I plug in when I leave the hanger and leave it on until I get back. No fumes or flames. It's been working for over 10 years for me here in PA.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.