Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2022, 04:18 PM

Very innovative and ingenious bunch yall are.
But the big question is, does the forced air heaters via a cowl raise the oil temps up?
Exempt, but donated 2022.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforsyth View Post
This is a 900w interior car warmer, metal casing, mounted on an aluminum base. The extra lighter gauge 'flap' clips over the cowl pins to hold the heater in place. Compact size makes it easy to pack, has proven effective in Canadian winter for 10 years.
Used the exact same heater in Piper Navajos down to -30*c, one heater per engine. wrapped in engine tents, cowl plugs for extra measure. Even used it in a deHavilland Beaver one fall with an old blanket wrapped over the front. The Beaver was on floats, so not terribly cold.

If it works for the turbocharged angle valve TIO-540 and the R-985, I'm sure it's fine on an RV.
Fuselage assembly, it's a riveting job!
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2022
Old 01-09-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
But the big question is, does the forced air heaters via a cowl raise the oil temps up?
Yes. If you run it for a few hours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MX8VN5/

I have one of these sitting inside the cowling of my Comanche with a moving blanket laying on top.

Just checked on it.

18F OAT, 30 deg. in the hangar, oil temp reads 65.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFII A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Gotta remember they take in ambient air, heat it then push. Iíve used outside and it struggles, inside my hangar I can raise temps on oil by10-15 degrees an hour.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
Cheapest cell phone switch I could find was Switcheon at $249 for two plugs, and free cell service for one year. Subsequent years cost $4.00 per day ($50/year). No sim, just a nice app using IoT G5 or LTE with actual feed back as to whether or not the switch actually turned on. Great device, has never failed me and I use it a lot. I have the cockpit heater on the other circuit so I can turn on both devices separately or together
I use a Ting hotspot that costs $3/month, but ends up being around $9 with taxes and data during the winter months. I have my battery charger and preheater connected via cheap $5 wifi outlets and it works great. I can set it on a timer or just turn the heater and charger on/off with my iphone. Very cheap and works great.

Wifi Plugs here.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Silicone pad sump heater here. I paid $79 for it, but the price seems to have increased.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This heater has worked great. I had the overpriced Reiff HotStrip sump heaters and it failed(burned) in the first 25 hours +/-. The folks are Reiff wouldn't honor the warranty since I wasn't the installer, so that was the end of my Reiff experience. No more business. The silicone above works much better and was a fraction of the price.
New Superior IO-360-B1AC2 w/Hartzell Composite CS
RV8 - #83313 - Under Construction (sort of!)
Old 01-10-2022, 06:37 AM

Default Warming heaters

I have been using 2 heaters to warm my plane up. I keep the front electric heater that is ducted into the plenum inlets on to come on at 40 degrees so it runs most of the time. The propane torpedo heater gets turned on when I get to the hangar to fly and the inlet heater gets turned up to high. It sits under the fuselage blowing 150 degree air at the bottom of the fuselage and into the exhaust area. The cowling has a thick foil on one side, green tarp material on the other side and then a sleeping bag to help keep the heat in. (UTOOL Heavy Duty Emergency Blanket, Waterproof Insulated Tarp) It works great.

I can get my engine and cabin warm and ready to start in about 30 min at 10 degrees. I can get the plane warmed up but I have not been able to make it warm enough in the hangar to do any work. It is a metal, non insulated, air leaking poster child for a crappy winter hangar!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	20777  
Flying N376E
Old 01-10-2022, 07:30 AM

Although it is more ducting, all the ideas in this thread would be more efficient if the cowling "outlet" air was recirculated to the heater "inlet". Just saying.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:31 AM

I was once told by a old timer that if your oil temp is above 40 it’s best not to preheat unless you are going to apply the heat for 4 hours or more minimum depending on hangar temperature. His rationale was that most preheating causes inconsistent heat transfer in the engine and parts are at different temperature points and hence different expansion or contraction levels causing increased wear during startup not anticipate in the design of the engine. He stressed that with oil temps below 20 degrees 8 hours should be a minimum preheat time.
Thoughts?

Last edited by sailvi767 : 01-10-2022 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
The both

But when you pre-heat via the bottom cowl, the heat rises through the cylinders and you have a better oil preheating.
RV 14A - #140252 - Flying
France
2021 Dues Paid
Old 01-10-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
Although it is more ducting, all the ideas in this thread would be more efficient if the cowling "outlet" air was recirculated to the heater "inlet". Just saying.
Unless you had well insulated ducting the heat loss would be greater in the return air line to the heater. By the time the air moves through the engine and out the bottom most of the heat has been absorbed by the engine.

For a system to pre heat the engine to an acceptable level, pumping hot air into the inlets through the plenum and having it leak out the bottom has proven a good solution for me. With my plenum, it is using the same air path used to cool my engine to heat it.
Flying N376E