What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lane A & B Error lights on

fr0gpil0t

Well Known Member
Finishing up on the engine installation of my RV-12iS. The Lane A and B error lights do not go out.

I see the following messages in the error log

Lane B Device Status
No Data RX from Op Lane
Warning Lamp Lane A
Warning Lamp Lane B

When I check the engine page I notice that

Lane A Volts has a Red X
Lane B Volts 13.0

As expected no EGTs as they are driven by Lane A
Lane B engine information Oil Temp etc . ok Fuel Pumps run fine

I must have checked and re-checked all the wiring and connectors a hundred times. Also check the the fuse box and all the fuses look good.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting, how do I check Lane A volts with a meter ?

Robert

I'm at a loss on this one.. to me, it sounds like the Lane A (round) connector to the engine fusebox is not seated properly.

Check out the HIC module connectors for intermittent seating. Over a year ago, I spent a long day trip chasing down a similar 12is Lane fault on one of our early Tango Flight planes.

Also checkout Van’s latest SB on this subject:

SB-00041, HIC Module Strain Relief Inspection

Thanks for the ideas I checked the HIC connector - funny there was an SB just as I'm doing this.

Vans support sent me to Lockwood as they only handle airframe questions, unfortunately no one available at Lockwood this week. So I'm studying the Rotax manuals to see if I can trace how Lane A gets power prior to startup.

Having a computer controlled engine is great until it goes wrong ;-)

Robert

Here's my comprehensive list of things to check (i know you've already checked some of these already):

You can assume the 2 HIC connectors are OK (but check that the connectors are seated and no pins have backed out). The engine is run on a test stand at the factory.. So I think its a safe assumption there that they were wired OK.. but a pushed out pin (pin 1 and pin 7) is possible in that smaller HIC connector (lane a).

Make sure the X1, X2, and X3 connectors are fully seated.. and that you populated the X3 connector correctly.

Check the fusebox that all fuses are seated OK. (a flashlight through the plastic window on it should be good enough).

Make sure, and if possible, remove and reseat the 3 connectors to the ECU. No bent pins, etc (those pins are very thin). These connectors are life-limited, so don't do this too often. (I don't think the 3 connectors are physically interchangeable, but verify they are going to the correct ports).

Check the Ignition Module D-Sub (and the other end at the HIC Module) for backed out pins.

Especially, Check Lane A's switch pins (17&18[yellow], 21&22[white/yellow] at the Ignition Module D-Sub) to (16&17[yellow], 18&19[white/yellow] at the HIC Module D-Sub) and also ensure continuity of these wires. If mis-wired by Stein a certain way, its possible that Lane A isn't actually energized when the switch is flipped UP, but the green light still comes on.

(If you're curious about how this could be: voltage is sent from the HIC module to the ignition module ... to the Lane A switch/green LED, the LED is then grounded to the lighting bus (PWM-), whereas the switch itself passes the voltage back to the hic module to tell it that the switch was flipped; so especially check those yellow/white wires)

Check that the correct wires are going to the Yellow (K7572/K7126) and Blue (K7124) terminals on the main circuit board in the center-channel. [old service bulletin about that]

Finally, ensure that there are no broken traces on the circuit board of the HIC module.

I'm sure this is a very simple problem to fix... once you find it.

Rob -Thank you for taking the time to put together such a comprehensive list of idea. I will definitely take the time to go through this. I manage a large Tech Support team for a software company and like you say some of the most complex problems have the simplest solutions it's just figuring out what it is that sometimes takes the time.

My thinking had been hopefully correctly had been Lane A and Lane B get their power through the Start power pin in the X3 connector until the engine is running I was concerned there was an internal problem in the fuse box causing the power not to get to Lane A as B was working. But I hadn't considered it may be a switching problem in the wiring of Ignition module to the HIC module. Definitely worth digging deeper.

Robert

I agree with Rob that it could be the switch. We know battery power is getting to the rotax A bus because the fuel pumps and the Lane A warning light are working, but is apparently not getting through the switch to the rotax A computer.

You can reinforce that theory by seeing if the Lane B and the ECU are working properly. It appears that Lane B is working but we don't know for sure since the Lane B error light is on as well.

Begin with all switches off then Master on (should not be any error lights on at this point). Now only Lane B on (Lane A off). Hopefully the Lane B error light will go out after a few seconds with no messages in the error log?

Unfortunately if I just power up lane B the error light does not go out and I still get the following message stream

Lane B Device Status
No Data RX from Op Lane
Warning Lamp Lane A
Warning Lamp Lane B

But the oil temp etc. sensors which are driven by lane b show which suggests it is working. I am thinking this of two issues the Lane A lack of voltage and then something else. So focusing first on solving the Lane A issue and then if it fixes the Lane B error then that's a bonus.

I may be able to get a hold of a BUDS Dongle will that give me extra info ?

Robert

Also, so you have something to compare your setup to, Van's has a short video that shows what to expect when you disconnect an engine sensor, or turn off a lane, etc. Maybe you'll see something in it that turns a lightbulb in your brain on..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNHsB9Y1xuw

I don't think you have multiple problems.. it just sounds like Lane A has no power. And the error message is Lane B saying "hey! i cant talk to the opposite lane".

When I get to the hangar tomorrow, I will turn on Lane B only and see which of the fault lights get lit (which simulates what I think is your situation). But based on the Rotax Operators Manual (Page 4-3), the only time that "Flight is not permitted" while on the ground is when BOTH are lit solid. I would consider the failure/lack of voltage on a Lane to be a "flight not permitted" situation.. so I'm expecting to see both lit solidly when I go to my airport tomorrow.

Last edited:
FIXED IT !!! Turned out to be a wiring problem with the harness from Vans/Stein - 2 pairs of wires were swapped.

Rob - thank you for all you help. I definitely owe you a beer or two. Though this has been a time consuming and frustrating experience through all the reading of the manuals and wiring diagrams I've learnt a lot more about how the Rotax system works.So not all wasted rime

Given the fuel pumps and lights were working which suggested the HIC/ECU was getting power. I decided to focus on the Lane A switch.

- Pulled HIC Connector A and checked continuity between Pin 1 & 7 on the HIC board with the Lane A switch closed. No continuity which is incorrect

- Pulled DSub's on the wiring running from the HIC module to the Ignition module. While checking the continuity I found the the Yellow/White wires instead of being in 21/22 they were in pina 23/24.

As others suggested resolving this issue brought Lane A on line and cleared the fault on Line B. I spoke briefly this afternoon to Lockwood and they explained the error message I was seeing in Lane B - No Data RX from Op Lane was really just saying data is not flowing from the Lane A sensors.

Again thanks for everyone's help.

Robert

Nice nice.. this is great news.

I'll be in Home-Built-Camping at Oshkosh and I like Guinness :D

Back