What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Energy Sounds Like

Vac

Well Known Member
Benefactor
We know that "energy" is the algebra of how we convert thrust into altitude and/or airspeed, and how we use a combination of pitch, roll (lift vector placement) and throttle to work the variables in that equation. For example, if we are straight and level at 5000 feet at Vmax, and we pull back smoothly on the stick, we can convert that kinetic energy (speed) into potential energy (altitude). If we keep pulling over the top (fly a loop), then we will convert the potential energy we just gained, back into kinetic energy and end up where we started.

The other important energy concept is "P sub S" or "specific power." This is another trade-off problem for the pilot. If we have more thrust than drag (for a given weight), then our “p sub s” is positive: we can go up, accelerate or both. If, however, there is more drag than thrust, then “p sub s” is NEGATIVE. The airplane is going down, slowing down or both; unless the pilot does something and the ground doesn't get in the way. If thrust and drag are balanced, then "p sub s" is zero, and the airplane achieves best sustained turn performance for that power setting. The cool thing is that thrust and drag are balanced when an airplane is ONSPEED. If you can hear ONSPEED (or read it on a gauge--it's when the wing is producing 60% of it's total lift capacity) and ascertain whether you are fast or slow relative to that angle of attack, you have instant SA about your energy state.

A loop is a vertical turn. If we want to optimize sustained turn performance (best turn rate and turn radius over time), we turn ONSPEED. I had to do some test video editing, and thought this short clip might illustrate the paragraphs above with "a picture that's worth a thousand words" that is only 16 seconds long:

https://youtu.be/X5NzOUNJavA

You don’t have to fly aerobatics to want optimum turn performance…the same physics apply when you turn base to final or any time you maneuver the airplane.

Fly Safe,

Vac
FlyONSPEED.org

P.S. "MIL power" = wide open throttle

Last edited:
Interesting.

For those of us that have EFIS based AOA, how do we figure ONSPEED? Is that the green dot that I get (calibrated when at 1.4 X stall speed). I remember you guiding me that I should slow my final down until I get the green dot and then keep the green dot all the way down final.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Yup. Your "green dot" if it's calibrated properly...it's the AOA associated with the speed = .76 x L/Dmax speed; and that's gonna' be 1.25-1.35 x stall in most airplanes (at 1G).

It does vary with flap setting, so if your AOA system doesn't have a flap position sensor, there will only be one correct calibration point. If that's the case, it's probably best to calibrate it for your standard landing flap configuration; that way it will be most accurate when you want it most: during approach and landing. It'll be off slightly for other flap conditions (but not by too much in RV's with NACA wings and plain flaps--bigger difference with the proprietary airfoils and slotted flaps [9, 10 and 14]).

v/r,

Vac

Energy is always an interesting topic that is probably not taught well to most private pilots; instead, focus is spent on airspeed and pitch attitude, both of which are acceptable analogues for energy state in normal, non-maneuvering flight. Where it rears its head for most people is during departure and approach. On departure most people will pitch to accelerate to Vy/Vx or a faster cruise climb of choice - pretty simple, right? It's an inexact method since of course from a mathematical standpoint the plane is looking for an angle of attach that best balances lift and drag to accomplish the desired performance, while airspeed can be affected by environmental factors and weight, so we just get close enough. On approach a similar concept applies just going down instead of up - we use an approach airspeed to approximate the angle of attack where the airplane's lift and drag, and in combination with power its overall energy state, to configure the airplane in such a way that we have sufficient energy to make the runway while minimizing any excess we need to bleed out in the flare.

I have a set of the FlyONSPEED beta hardware and I've been flying with it for a couple months now. Vac sent me some calibration curves from his RV-4 which I re-used as is, assuming (reasonably, I feel) that our airplanes are likely very close from an aerodynamic perspective. The box was simple to install - Power, ground, a volume knob installed in the panel, and an audio connection of some sort. Since I don't have an intercom, I soldered mine to a 3.5mm headphone jack I bought on Amazon and plugged it into the aux port on my Lightspeed headset. Wiring the system from an electrical standpoint was very simple - installing a pitot mast and running lines to a Dynon pitot/AoA probe I bought was more labor intensive.

The first thing that stood out to me, having only ever before flown pitch/power/airspeed as I described in the opening to this post, was the relatively quick response of the system compared to letting indicated airspeed stabilize. It also served to expose some weaknesses in my static port configuration. It did open my eyes to the airspeed differences that weight, altitude, and yes, static port configuration, can have on various regimes of flight. The ONSPEED tone, letting me know I'm at approximately the approach angle of attack, came on consistently even though indicated airspeed changed due to a passenger, or because I was trying to fix my static ports. What let me know that it was working was just a day of pattern work. I flew some landings with traditional airspeed and then using just the tone. My landings with the tone resulted in much more consistent approaches and landings with minimal floating, indicating to me I was approaching in an optimal energy state. Over a few more sessions at various weights, I saw that the indicated airspeed required to equal that performance changed by several MPH; It's easy to see now where the assumption we have that at the weight and speed ranges of our airplanes a single approach speed is usually "close enough" falls short.

From a safety perspective, having the tone is of course great for gliding flight, which Vac's previous videos showing some "impossible turn" practice demonstrate. An scenario I encountered that many people sometimes discount as a time to be vigilant for maintaining control is a go-around. We all have had a late go around for some reason or another, I was flying on a gusty day and made a low level go around after a bounce. While getting rocked around at my usual pitch attitude, I heard the slow tone going off in my ear. A quick peek at the ASI to confirm and I lowered the nose to give my self a little extra margin in the shear field that occurs at 50-100' above the field at my home airport.

Overall, with a solid multi-point calibration I found the system to have made my energy management much more consistent across even just the normal regimes of flight. Where previously pitch/power/airspeed got "close enough," and we just shrug off the good landings and the bad landings, now I don't have many bad approaches where I floated down half the runway because I was too fast for conditions, despite flying an "optimal" airspeed. On departure, I fly best rate or best angle without issue - previously trying for best angle airspeed with the deck angle our RV's use can be tricky, especially in windy conditions. All of this culminates with the fact the audio tone lets me stay eyes outside.

Green dot

I have the Dynon D-100 AoA setup and with the early work you have done with the Dynon AoA probe what would be the closest position on the chevron indicator to correlate with the green dot optimum AoA indication. I use the tone and I can set the progressive tone onset to start at the bottom/middle/top of the yellow chevron area.
Thanks
Figs

Figs,

Short answer: fly some practice approaches at 1.25-1.35 times Vs Flaps 40 in still air and note the indication with your current calibration. Dynon has a selectable tone pattern; so, pick one that covers the part of the graphic that is lit when you are stable at that condition. Whatever that graphic/tone combo is your ONSPEED cue. You can repeat the drill at best glide speed, flaps 0 and that’s your L/Dmax cue for your airplane. Because of the way the Dynon calibration works (especially the older DY-10/100 systems), it will be hard to get your display to have ONSPEED correspond to say, the middle of the yellow chevron.

Long Answer: The Dynon AOA is a good progressive stall warning system; but it doesn’t appear to be designed to provide accurate performance cues (i.e, measure actual AOA accurately throughout the flight envelope). When we used the Dynon EFIS originally, we had a work-around that used an off-board processor that read the percent lift signal produced by the EFIS. We simply used a percent of a percent (i.e., a simple ratio) to make the tone work.

If you download your Dynon data into a spreadsheet, you can look at your percent lift plot. It will look something like this:

3c039a_b3e54991d7134d75b1e19fe885b3744b~mv2.jpg

You can see the stall is occurring at about 80% total lift in this case, not 100. Now ONSPEED still occurs at 60% of peak (i.e., .6 x 80%); but I don’t think the Dynon graphic display makes allowance for this. It appears to be a simple look-up table (i.e., at X%, light Y graphic), thus my recommendation to use the calibration you've got instead of trying to chase a perfect calibration or calibrate to get your graphics to line up (if that makes sense).

Good on 'ya for using the system you've got! Hope this helps, but if it's clear as mud, or you've got more questions, post, drop an email or PM. Happy to help if I can.

Vac

Last edited:
More Dynon Info

Figs,

I found some old slides from our OSH briefing in 2018. If (big if) your Dynon is measuring 100% lift during stall with landing flaps, then the first two slides apply:

3c039a_901dc09495b84fc1ac195c8d6a905368~mv2.jpg

3c039a_1dcb7f02e1854acf8b1fadc476c88c9b~mv2.jpg

This is our best guess for the Dynon % lift associated with the visual display on the 10/100 EFIS. Now in all likelihood, you are NOT getting 100% lift at stall (see graphic in previous post); so the logic I laid out in the "short answer" is summarized on this slide:

3c039a_ee0ea2de15ee4f699ad7e64ba2ae5670~mv2.jpg

Hope this helps clarify. Offer to help stands, if not.

Cheers,

Vac

Vac
Thanks the charts are really useful as I can go fly some configuration runs and select the progressive tone start point that results in a distinguishable tone at the approximate Onspeed point. Also looks like at that point there is still some margin to react if taken by surprise due to rapid onset.
Only issue I can see is whether the tone will be distracting/annoying as it will likely be on for longer than it currently is.
Cool stuff :)
Figs

Last edited:
Figs,

Excellent. Sound plan.

We worked hard to make the fast tone and the ONSPEED solid tone cues pleasant so that it's "readily internalized" as the human factors folks would say--you only notice it when it's NOT there. We also attenuate it with radio or intercom so it blends into the background. We do, however, want the slow tone and stall warning to get your attention. We think it's important for the pilot to know that the airplane is in a negative energy state (more drag than thrust unless you do something). Not sure how the Dynon logic works, but interested to find out what you learn--post again after you've experimented.

We realize that flying using an aural cue as a reference is an alien concept for most pilots. Fighter and glider pilots have been doing it for years. We run into comments so often from folks that haven't tried it, we've got a name for it: green eggs and ham syndrome ;)

Here's how we've got ours mech'd:

https://youtu.be/X59y9Song3U

And, we added a big, old-fashioned volume knob, so it's easy to adjust any time.

Cheers,

Vac

Is anyone in the RV community other than Vac actually using the FlyOnSpeed in their aircraft?

If so what do you think about the experience?

-larosta

My system is complete and I had it installed in my RV8 but due to an injury I never got the chance to test it before I had to sell that plane. Yesterday I finally got my new to me replacement plane in the hangar so my OnSpeed installation begins this weekend with the AOA pitot tube.

I hope to be flying OnSpeed very shortly.

Attachments

• 95FE2F96-F205-4133-BE14-86160D55B8AC.jpg
    95FE2F96-F205-4133-BE14-86160D55B8AC.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 243
What "Bleeding Energy" Sounds Like

If there is more drag than thrust, the airplane is going down/slowing down (or both). One expression for this is "mushing" or we say we are "on the back side of the power curve." Fighter pilots have an expression for this that I like better: "bleeding energy." Intuitively obvious that bleeding energy probably isn't a desirable state.

We use this diagram to show folks how we can integrate an energy cue using an AOA system:

3c039a_c426f187b33e43f2b25fdb63f7b20c27~mv2.jpg

We use the tone to cut the power required curve in half. If you are ONSPEED, thrust and drag are balanced; but if you hear slow tone, there is more drag than thrust unless you do something. What makes the logic so simple is slow tone = energy bleed. RV's give limited aerodynamic stall cues at 1G (i.e., not a lot of buffet, stick force lightening, etc. prior to the break). This means the airplane can feel solid, but you are actually bleeding energy (and getting closer to the aerodynamic limit), perhaps without realizing it.

Here's a classic example of a square corner after a low, slow final overshoot. Hard to miss the energy state with the slow tone barking at you:

https://youtu.be/Usu2aPhJeJ0

The F-104 a few posts back would get the same tone on the top of his 10K' loop if the pilot pulled too hard on the stick. What's neat about these cues is because they are based on AOA, they work at any G-load in any attitude--no cockpit math. Slow tone = energy bleed. Caveman simple.

We call the graphic a "push/pull" diagram, since that's what the tone tells you to do with the stick and power controls.

Fly safe,

Vac

Last edited:
OnSpeed System in my RV8

I've been flying with our OnSpeed system in my RV8 for about 5 months (my RV8 first flew in Dec20). Works as advertised. Since I'm also part of the FlyOnSpeed team I understand AOA and the inner workings of our system. Its amazing how quickly you get comfortable with the tone and use it for all maneuvering phases of flight. The pictures below include the little M5 AOA indicator display on my dash which I do use a lot both as a quick visual backup to the tone as well as part of my outside visual scan. The OnSpeed systems the pilot can see are circled in red. I have our Gen2v3 system installed inside the dash ontop of the GNS430W and plumbed into the Pitot system shared with the MGL EFIS and G5 systems. The Black control Knob has an internal LED the "slowly breaths" to indicate normal AOA System operation, rotating the knob adjusts AOA audio volume, pushing the knob can either disable the AOA Audio or also put a data mark in the systems continuously recorded data file (downloaded via wifi post flight when desired). System is integrated into the MGL Efis to provide RV8 Flap Position. Overview of system integration is shown in picture 3. I use a simple 1 Amp CB to support system power. Since my GMA240 won't let me disable Stereo Audio Blanking caused by Radio Traffic I have my OnSpeed AOA audio coming through an Aux Input so its Mono audio only (OnSpeed provides Stereo Audio to help coordinate turns). Otherwise its fully integrated into the plane. System airborne calibration was straight forward using my iPhone and the OnSpeed Web Based calibration page via its Internal Wifi (same Web page is used on the ground for recorded data download).

Tron

Attachments

• RV8_OnSpeedPic.jpg
    RV8_OnSpeedPic.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_5880.jpg
    IMG_5880.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 182
  • EFIS_Gen2_v3 Pitot_System_Connections_Jul2021.png
    EFIS_Gen2_v3 Pitot_System_Connections_Jul2021.png
    331.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
I've been flying with our OnSpeed system in my RV8 for about 5 months (my RV8 first flew in Dec20). Works as advertised. Since I'm also part of the FlyOnSpeed team I understand AOA and the inner workings of our system. Its amazing how quickly you get comfortable with the tone and use it for all maneuvering phases of flight. The pictures below include the little M5 AOA indicator display on my dash which I do use a lot both as a quick visual backup to the tone as well as part of my outside visual scan. The OnSpeed systems the pilot can see are circled in red. I have our Gen2v3 system installed inside the dash ontop of the GNS430W and plumbed into the Pitot system shared with the MGL EFIS and G5 systems. The Black control Knob has an internal slowly flashing Red Led that indicates normal AOA System operation, rotating the knob adjusts AOA audio volume, pushing the knob can either disable the AOA Audio or also put a data mark in the systems continuously recorded data file (downloaded via wifi post flight when desired). System is integrated into the MGL Efis to provide RV8 Flap Position. Overview of system integration is shown in picture 3. I use a simple 1 Amp CB to support system power. Since my GMA240 won't let me disable Stereo Audio Blanking caused by Radio Traffic I have my OnSpeed AOA audio coming through an Aux Input so its Mono audio only (OnSpeed provides Stereo Audio to help coordinate turns). Otherwise its fully integrated into the plane. System airborne calibration was straight forward using my iPhone and the OnSpeed Web Based calibration page via its Internal Wifi (same Web page is used on the ground for recorded data download).

Tron

What's the 44 in the top part of the AOA display?

Is anyone in the RV community other than Vac actually using the FlyOnSpeed in their aircraft?

If so what do you think about the experience?

-larosta

I have been flying with a Gen2 box in my RV-10 since about September of 2018. But I'm biased as I'm part of the development team.

I'll offer another, not often talked about benefit though, transitioning to another aircraft with different flying characteristics.

A while ago I bought a Zlín Z-50LS, single seat, blind as a bat tailwheel, 9G, all metal, 1300lbs, 300hp beast, with aileron spades. I was planning on flying it off our 2000ft grass trip with trees on both ends. Before I flew the Z I got a few hours in an Extra300L to get familiar with the sensitive controls. I flew it over to our strip to try and see how that landing is. My instructor got spooked on the first approach. We never landed. :D

I decided to take off with the Z on our runway, and fly it over to a nearby 6,000ft grass runway and keep it there for a few flights until I got used to it.
Of course I had a Gen2v3 Onspeed system installed in it.

Used my first flight to fly some stalls and 4 trimshots for calibration then once the adrenaline wore off, with the help of the maestro (Vac), we created a calibration curve from that data.

The next flight I had a functioning Onspeed system. No surprise, I was right at home in the airplane when the tone came alive. It's burned into my mind from the RV-10 (it doesn't take long).
Flew to my home field, and did a bunch of approaches just skimming the runway, and after a few I was comfortable enough to land my new beast on the short runway. It worked out well.

I think the system offers huge help in transitioning between airplanes, especially dissimilar ones. The Z is so blind at a high angle of attack, I have to look outside using peripheral vision only, there's just no time to keep glued to the airspeed indicator. The tones keep angle of attack in check while looking out for trees, sand cranes (big birds) and whatever else can show up on a grass field.

Lenny

OnSpeed System in my RV8

Our total thanks to Vern for developing the M5 EM display as part of our OnSpeed team. We call the number 44 % lift and its goes from 0 to 99, it's used to indicate what the tone should be and where the M5 EM Display Visual AOA indicator and Color Bars should be. Details on the %lift numbers progression with tone and M5 indications is shown below.

TRON

Attachments

• AOA_Display Parameters_Update_Jul21.jpg
    AOA_Display Parameters_Update_Jul21.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Anyone running OnSpeed system with Garmin G3X?

Working on a new G3X panel for my RV-7A & would like to incorporate the OnSpeed system. Wondering if anyone has done this & has any tips to share.

I'll be using the GMA 245 audio panel. Does anyone know if allows stereo inputs that are not muted by incoming radio traffic?

I bought most or all of the electronic components for the OnSpeed unit a while back, and just need to break out the soldering iron & source the remaining hard-to-find plumbing bits.

I also have some extra circuit boards if anyone needs one.

Thanks!
David

Rob Prior shot this (raw) video of the huVVer-AVI flight instruments mounted on the back seat panel, plus the one on the glareshield of my Harmon Rocket. It shows the OnSpeed energy display in action, albeit in an uncalibrated system. I used the default RV-4 calibration, which may be close.

The takeaway on this (other than I stuck the landing) is that one in the front and one in the back would make a great training platform. Note: there is no useful audio in this video.

It's a slow load, so we will replace it with a compressed version soon. If it doesn't load at all, we'll work harder to get it updated.

Cheers, Vern

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=ekYxSUZXUEF1Wkh0R2NmaVN0aS1qUFhpRDZkYkNB

Last edited:
music input muting

My RV-10 has a GMA 245 audio panel. I have my Onspeed box wired into the audio panel's unswitched (mono) input, unfortunately. When I wired it we haven't implemented the 3D audio yet.
The 245 has buttons for muting music by radio and ICS so I'm pretty sure it will work, and I'm planning on wiring it up that way too. I got that audio panel because it has better music control than the PSE I had before.

My other plane is single seat, so it doesn't have an audio panel, Onspeed audio is wired into the GTR200 COM radio's music input. On that one you can turn off radio and ICS muting from the menus. It works great. Vac has the same setup in his RV-4.

Lenny

Working on a new G3X panel for my RV-7A & would like to incorporate the OnSpeed system. Wondering if anyone has done this & has any tips to share.

I'll be using the GMA 245 audio panel. Does anyone know if allows stereo inputs that are not muted by incoming radio traffic?
David

The Black control Knob has an internal LED the "slowly breaths" to indicate normal AOA System operation, rotating the knob adjusts AOA audio volume, pushing the knob can either disable the AOA Audio or also put a data mark in the systems continuously recorded data file (downloaded via wifi post flight when desired).

Tron

Tron - do you have a part number reference or link for that lighted volume control knob?

Thanks!

I Fly w Onspeed too

This is from an older post of mine.

Recently The Onspeed (OS) showed me what a powerful flight tool it is.

My son Ian, 25yrs, has grown up flying with me numerous hours. He recently started down the road to pilothood. He has been taking lesssons in a Light sport Pipestral. He told me that the pipestral flys very much like The 7a and the 12 I now own. Extremely light on the controls, same rotax power plant but has a high wing. I had never let Ian take off or land previously but yesterday I deceided to give him a try. Ian recently soloed the pipestral.

I flew up to 3500 feet and gave Ian a lesson on how the AOA OS works and sounds. There is nothing to look at only aural warnings. He flew simulated single turn approaches. He is being taught a rectangular pattern so this was new to him except he has been in my plane dozens of times while I land with a single turn approach. Our ten minutes of training was over and we headed back to land. My RV12 does not have dual screens so Ian had no instruments in front of him. After he arrived at the proper pattern alt he throttled back and set up a glide with trim OS. With his head out the window the entire time he nailed his first landing. It was a right hand pattern but he was on the right side of the aircraft. He had never landed a right hand pattern. He made another right hand landing again nailing it. There was no wind so we decided to use the other runway which is a left hand pattern. He again nailed two more landings without ever looking at the instruments as I told him to trust me and AOA OS will do the work for you.

I had a blast doing this with my son. I think he is hooked on the AOA OS.

Figs,

Excellent. Sound plan.

We worked hard to make the fast tone and the ONSPEED solid tone cues pleasant so that it's "readily internalized" as the human factors folks would say--you only notice it when it's NOT there. We also attenuate it with radio or intercom so it blends into the background. We do, however, want the slow tone and stall warning to get your attention. We think it's important for the pilot to know that the airplane is in a negative energy state (more drag than thrust unless you do something). Not sure how the Dynon logic works, but interested to find out what you learn--post again after you've experimented.

We realize that flying using an aural cue as a reference is an alien concept for most pilots. Fighter and glider pilots have been doing it for years. We run into comments so often from folks that haven't tried it, we've got a name for it: green eggs and ham syndrome ;)

Here's how we've got ours mech'd:

https://youtu.be/X59y9Song3U

And, we added a big, old-fashioned volume knob, so it's easy to adjust any time.

Cheers,

Vac

Vac
OK I did a few runs yesterday and it look like if you set the Dynon tone onset at the beginning of the yellow chevrons you end up with a solid tone at the beginning of the red chevrons and still some margin before the actual stall break at the top of the indicator.
So onspeed from the pictures would be close to the solid tone. I plan to try this for a while but suspect the dynon tone could get a little annoying as it will be on a lot during the approach and also after landing until you hit the MINSPD setting and it is not the most pleasant tone;)
Figs

Figs,

Excellent. Sounds like a solid plan.

The Dynon system is designed for progressive stall warning, so the tone is designed to "get your attention" I suspect. That's why we worked to make the fast tone and ONSPEED cues in our system pleasant (we still want slow tone to "get your attention").

Cheers,

Vac

David,

I just looked at it yesterday, as we're looking to build some more sets.

Digikey has the pot:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/cts-electrocomponents/12VR2S20FBN103B1/10270991

Mouser has the ones with blue/green LED instead of red/green.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/774-12VR2S20FCN103B1

Pot knobs are out of stock too, but they have some that are smaller in diameter, 16mm vs 23. It should work fine too.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/450-7031

Hit us up for a mini circuit board for the pot. Makes it easier to wire. The pot's pins are pretty flimsy otherwise.

Lenny

Last edited:
David,

I just looked at it yesterday, as we're looking to build some more sets.

Digikey has the pot:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/cts-electrocomponents/12VR2S20FBN103B1/10270991

Mouser has the ones with blue/green LED instead of red/green.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/774-12VR2S20FCN103B1

Pot knobs are out of stock too, but they have some that are smaller in diameter, 16mm vs 23. It should work fine too.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/450-7031

Hit us up for a mini circuit board for the pot. Makes it easier to wire. The pot's pins are pretty flimsy otherwise.

Lenny

Lenny - that's awesome, thank you! A few quick questions:

- I had in my notes that the pot needed to be 100k (not sure where I got that from) but the listed part is 10k per the spec sheet. Can you confirm that's correct?

- The pot comes in 1/2/3 color versions, and the listed one is 2-color. Does the software use multiple colors, or does it just pulse a single color?

- Can you confirm that the pot PC board is designed for the side-mount version of the pot? Want to make sure I get the right form factor when looking at alternate part numbers.

Thanks!

David,

See answers inline:

Lenny - that's awesome, thank you! A few quick questions:

- I had in my notes that the pot needed to be 100k (not sure where I got that from) but the listed part is 10k per the spec sheet. Can you confirm that's correct?

Doesn't matter, either one (10k or 100K) will work. Originally we had a separate pot and LED and that pot may have been 100k. This combo solution is much better.

- The pot comes in 1/2/3 color versions, and the listed one is 2-color. Does the software use multiple colors, or does it just pulse a single color?

We're only using a single LED on the pot, use whatever color you prefer.

- Can you confirm that the pot PC board is designed for the side-mount version of the pot? Want to make sure I get the right form factor when looking at alternate part numbers.

Yes the pot PC board is designed for the side-mount version that's specified in our original project list.

Thanks!

Back