What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sam James Cowl Neoprene Source?

N941WR

Legacy Member
It is time to replace the Neoprene on my Sam James cowl.

Do any of you have a source for the Neoprene and glue?

As I was not happy with my initial installation, I replaced the neoprene after four years. I got it from Will James.

I did however find the adhesive on Amazon at a good price: https://www.amazon.com/Essentials-N...K?ie=UTF8&ref_=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1

This can is enough for several cowls, but I find it much easier to get the stuff mixed when it is in the can instead of the tube.

I note Amazon also has just about any type of Neoprene material there is. Perhaps calling Will to ask about what type he uses might be the first step if you don't get it from him.

Carl

And please let us know what it is, if you find out!

I'm going to need to cut and refab my left plenum entry at some point, which will almost certainly mean refabbing my neoprene sleeves as well.

Any chance anyone has the answer to this many years later? Need to replace my intake and cooling sleeves soon. Searched around and found som many different versions of 6mm (1/4") thick neoprene and now I'm not sure what to buy.

Someone (I believe it was DanH?) fabricated their own by saturating a few layers of fiberglass cloth with thinned silicone seal, essentially just a large tube of RTV thinned with some MEK if I remember correctly. Time for a search...

Has anybody tried ordering from James Cowls? They list neoprene on their website for $23 and $18 for the glue.

Yes, ordered the neoprene roll and glue from James last year to replace the little sleeve between the cowl and induction air inlet. You have to roll your own, but that turned out to be simple and has worked fine so far. [A lot more material than needed for sure, but now I have extra and the cost is minimal.]

I replaced the neoprene with a 5" ID silicone coupler. Trimmed it to fit and I have a solid seal between the aluminum intake and the plenum. I used some silicon tape to increase the diameter of the aluminum intake, making it a snug fit. Hose clamp is used on the aluminum intake. There is no need to use the clamp on the plenum as the coupler form fits.

$17 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1BTZRU/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_F5XPX3X308PZ7TGCS7B5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like a good solution. Question, how flexible is that coupler? Reason I ask is I don't have a straight shot from the intake ring to the plenum inlet, they are offset by 3/4 inch or so. If these are rigid then they will not work for me, although the could work week for the smaller air intake connection. I'd like something a bit stiffer in that location.

Looks like a good solution. Question, how flexible is that coupler? Reason I ask is I don't have a straight shot from the intake ring to the plenum inlet, they are offset by 3/4 inch or so. If these are rigid then they will not work for me, although the could work week for the smaller air intake connection. I'd like something a bit stiffer in that location.

That's a good question. It's a very short length on my RV6 and it is pretty much a straight shot into the plenum. It'll flex 1/2" or so, but not much.

That's a good question. It's a very short length on my RV6 and it is pretty much a straight shot into the plenum. It'll flex 1/2" or so, but not much.

I have a bit long of a distance and need a lot more flex, the neoprene works GREAT for this application. If I recall the sleeves you shared are for turbo plumbing and IIRC that is too stiff for my application.

Thanks for the tip! If I ever get around to remaking my plenum Ill set it up to use these.

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Rubber-1MUP8

I found this by googling for "neoprene sheet"

Does anyone know the variables of specifications?

I'l going to call SJ and see if they can give me the specs. There are so many durometer options (stiffness measurement) that I don't want to have to go about it by trial and error. If I know the durometer then we have so many options online to purchase, I know it's 6mm (1/4" thick)

Cheap fix, maybe?

I have a couple of old wetsuits of different thicknesses.
Find a dive shop, walk in and ask if they have any junk wet suits that they will give you.
Or Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, or Offerup.
Free is good. Now the glue is gonna cost you, But, it really does work for butt splices.
My three cents worth Art

Back