Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-18-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcurry View Post
Hi Sam,
I was looking at the Sporty's PJ2 today. I will probably purchase it. Thanks for your response.
I have both a Yaesu FT550 and a Sporty's PJ2 that I use for backup, even when flying (ahem) VFR . I've found the Sporty's PJ2 to be the much better choice for ease of use.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 01-19-2022, 06:48 AM

Default 2nd comm antenna placement on RV12

For anyone who installed a #2 comm antenna on the belly of your RV12, where did you locate it in reference to the plans installed #1 antenna?
Thanks
Old 01-19-2022, 07:38 AM

Jack,
I also have the Sportys PJ2, and Iím planning on it being my backup com in my RV6 that Iím building. My primary is the Garmin GTR200B. My plan is to have just one belly mounted antenna. It is mounted under my left knee forward of the spar, easily accessible in flight. If my primary com fails, the plan is to turn it off (important), disconnect the antenna coax at the antenna, and plug a short RG400 pigtail from there to my PJ2. I think itís important to make sure you turn off the GTR200 first. You donít want to inadvertently transmit from that radio without an antenna connected - at least thatís what Iíve heard - could be wrong about that, but itís not working anyway so why not. Might even want to pull a panel mounted circuit breaker on the GTR.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 01-19-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
Jack,
I think it’s important to make sure you turn off the GTR200 first. You don’t want to inadvertently transmit from that radio without an antenna connected - at least that’s what I’ve heard - could be wrong about that, but it’s not working anyway so why not. Might even want to pull a panel mounted circuit breaker on the GTR.
This is absolutely correct – having a radio transmit without an antenna will reflect RF energy back into transmit circuitry and cause damage. If you want to test a radio without actually radiating power, you can either purchase or build a dummy load.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:00 AM

Default SP400

I bought one of those Sportys SP400s with the battery pack and headphone adapters. Also have the cigarette lighter power adapter and external antenna. I mounted it on a Ram mount so that I can fly the glideslope indicator (hands free) in the event of an emergency. John
Old 01-20-2022, 05:10 PM

My handheld is an old KX99 that has an antenna adapter and cord (pictured). It provides a way to connect the handheld's BNC to my (single) COM antenna via a mini phono plug. When it's plugged in it disconnects the COM radio so there's no crosstalk etc. It involves a bit of plug-fussing but it's a good backup in case of panel radio failure. I don't think they're still made but they seem to be around (ebay etc.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	kx99_adapter.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	21244 Click image for larger version

Name:	kx99_cord.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	21245
Airport committee chair & AOPA ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Last Donated January 2022
Old 01-21-2022, 08:50 PM

Default Hand held

I purchased a unit just like that about a year ago from Pacific Coast Avionicís for about $85. I think it was a Icon brand. Have used it once when I had radio problems going into class D. Worked!
Old 01-22-2022, 04:18 PM

Default External antenna the way to go.

I carry a fully charged Icom A25N and also a backup alkaline battery pack.
I have matching bent whip 1/4 wave antennas on the belly. One for my panel radio and the other with a extension cable with BNC connector and coiled up in a side pocket along with a headset adapter. Have only needed it once when my panel radio failed but it was worth its weight in gold as far as I was concerned.
It performed just as good as my panel radio and a well worth the investment as a backup.

Last edited by NYTOM : 01-26-2022 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:23 PM

I have a PJ2 that I carry along in the flightbag (and for listening in to the action at SNF & OSH).
With just the whip antenna I can hear traffic at home base (8A1) and contact FBO in the pattern.
I'd think that's good enough for backup to the GTR200B ?
RV12 #120764
Support VAF "if you read it, buy it"
Old 01-25-2022, 07:19 PM

I carry a handheld with me too. Is it necessary with VFR flying? no. Is it necessary with IFR flying? no. (there's procedures to follow in case you go NRDO).

I took it one step further though.. I installed a second antenna on the belly.
I put a doubler plate on one of oval inspection panels, drilled a hole, and mounted a BNC connector such that it sticks through the skin. Then I've attached a typical BNC-attached handheld radio antenna to it.

The coax extends to an easily-accessible BNC jack in the cockpit; where I can plug my radio into it with a short length of BNC-to-BNC coax (or BNC-to-SMA coax, depending on the radio).
I also extended COM2 from the audio panel to appropriate plugs which i can insert into the radio. Essentially, it can act as an integral part of the airplane.. using the audio panel and headset... or in an emergency, I can disconnect the wires to it and use it as a standard handheld radio.

The janky antenna thing is intentional.. I sometimes replace the antenna with a HAM RADIO antenna .. the BNC connector makes it easy to change out antennas. I have yet to view the antenna with a GoPro to see how much it bends back in the 100mph wind.. but it seems to work OK. I may make a video about this on my youtube channel one day.