What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Under Seat fuel tank

My primary mission requires slightly more than the hotel whiskey ER tanks provide. I'd like to have around 12 gallons extra in addition to 38 in the wings, to let me go non-stop without having to refuel in windy west texas.

I'm 5'8" so I have a stack of foam and pillows underneath the seat cushion already... and I never make good use of the awkward angled area behind the seat back. Why not replace the foam stack and the seat back with some fuel for extra range.

Anyone tried anything like this before? A search of the forum for fuel and seat, etc didn't seem to turn up much.

(Pardon my crappy illustration)

Attachments

• seats.png
    seats.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 99
since the 6A sits pretty nose-high, it looks like the under-seat section would be hard to fill since a bubble would be trapped in that space..

The Smoke-System-Helper tanks, or ones that shape and location, are what you want. As mentioned, you'll get an air void in a tank that extends forward under the seat, and you'll run a greater risk of crew movement damaging the tank or separating the join at that sharp corner.

As mentioned earlier, the 7.5 gallon each, tanks from Smoke System Helper is a straight-forward answer.

I worked with Marvin to get the design (dimensions, quantity, and fit for RV6, 7, 9 [slider and tip-up]) done. After a few prototypes, we ended up with a configuration that can be fitted to any of the aforementioned planes, be properly vented and be joined together for a total of 15 gallons **OR** kept separate for 7.5 gallons of fuel and 7.5 gallons of smoke oil.

I have used mine on BOTH configurations and they work.

I may be able to did up photos and video if NEEDED and am very willing to comment offline o-about how I did my installation (RV6).

No need to reinvent that wheel.

As mentioned earlier, the 7.5 gallon each, tanks from Smoke System Helper is a straight-forward answer.

I worked with Marvin to get the design (dimensions, quantity, and fit for RV6, 7, 9 [slider and tip-up]) done. After a few prototypes, we ended up with a configuration that can be fitted to any of the aforementioned planes, be properly vented and be joined together for a total of 15 gallons **OR** kept separate for 7.5 gallons of fuel and 7.5 gallons of smoke oil.

I have used mine on BOTH configurations and they work.

I may be able to did up photos and video if NEEDED and am very willing to comment offline o-about how I did my installation (RV6).

No need to reinvent that wheel.

I'm just starting my tanks (RV9A). I'm not 100% decided yet on whether or not I'll add extra tanks, but for the occasional trip where an extra hour of fuel can mean a stop vs no stop (free trip speed than doesn't cost horsepower), these seem like a great option. What do I need to add to the tank build now to at least leave open the potential for installing these? If you have them, pictures would be incredibly helpful! I've considered the Hotel Whiskey tanks, but recent pics I've seen of some pretty horrific welding, on top of the cost, has kicked those off the list of possibilities.

Back