What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leading edge rib flanges to 90 degrees

FlyBoy8

I'm just getting to building one of the leading edge assemblies on my -8 and noticed that some of rib flanges are not at 90 degrees especially near the tip. I can clecko the ribs in but there is a significant gap between the skin and flange on the web side of the flange in some areas.

I try to bend them and they just spring right back to where they were. The ribs have already been fluted as well. I made the flanging tool with 11 degree work faces and that is what i used initially to bend the flanges. I adjusted it to 15 degrees today but the flanges still don't stay bent. They just spring right back to where they were.

Is there any pro tip that might help me in this situation?

Tool

The tool works. However, if the flanges are fluted, the flanges tend to return to their original angle. Takes some extra tension

Yes that is the tool I made and used. I’ve tried more fluting and bending with some success but still not getting nice 90 degree flanges on the curved part of the leading edge ribs.

Back