What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch and flaps-trims failures (GAD 27)

Erimo

Well Known Member
I flown 220 hours on an RV14 equipped with a full G3X Touch system.

Since one month, I had intermittent trims and flap failures.
The first time it was after one hour and half of flight, on approach, I noticed that the 2 trims no longer reacted, neither to the pilot stick nor to the co-pilot stick.
I extended the flaps normally and landed without trim.
Once landed, I was not able to retract the flaps, neither the pilot stick nor the panel switch. After stopping the engine, I switched the Master on again. Trims and flaps did not work.
The next day when starting, the flaps retracted and the trims worked.

After take off without flaps (to avoid flaps failure in flight), I could not use the trims for 10' then they worked again. On approach, I was unable to extend the flaps to land.

I do not understand why these random momentary breakdowns of the trims and flaps.

I have checked the flap motor power outputs on GAD27 while I was moving the buttons up and down : the voltmeter indicated 0 V.

Has anyone had the same failure ?

I had an intermittent flap problem as well. I thought it was the switch so I changed that, and then a few weeks later the problem resurfaced. I eventually tracked it down to a bad crimp on the flap switch end.

I've seen lots of problems with the Van's RV14 supplied harnesses/connectors, I would start there.

Last edited:
I get a flap fault at times after raising them. I looked at everything and havent figured out any cause. I have VPX so it is easy to clear and I have never had a problem resetting. It is an issue I would like to figure out.

I had an intermittent flap problem as well. I thought it was the switch so I changed that, and then a few weeks later the problem resurfaced. I eventually tracked it down to a bad crimp on the flap switch end.

But the breakdown concerns trims and flaps.
In configuration mode I can see that the GAD27 receives all commands from trims and flaps buttons but the FLAP POWER OUT 1 and 2 (pins 7 and 8 on TB273 connector) stay at 0 volt.

Motor Disconnect Input

But the breakdown concerns trims and flaps.
In configuration mode I can see that the GAD27 receives all commands from trims and flaps buttons but the FLAP POWER OUT 1 and 2 (pins 7 and 8 on TB273 connector) stay at 0 volt.

Good Afternoon,

When you run this test, is the MOTOR DISCONNECT input active? If so, that would result in the behavior you are seeing.

Thanks,

Justin

Back