What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nutmatx vs. Pneumatic Squeezer

The pneumatic is definitely the more popular style. I have not used the hydraulic version. I wonder how much of a hassle it is to drag the ram and foot valve with you as you move around the work piece. The smaller tool body is interesting, but of the times I could not get the squeezer onto a rivet, it's almost always issues with clearance for the yoke, not the tool body.

You could get both, try 'em out and report back with your findings. It's only money, after all. :D

Numatx

The Numatx is an awesome machine! I built a little stand with a handle on top with the foot pedal and everything else mounted to it. It is very handy!

I bought the numatx at the beginning of the year. I chose it for 2 reasons. First, it was just about the same price as the pneumatic squeezer. Second, I liked the ide to operate it with a foot and not have to have my hand ready to depress the trigger.

To be honest, I hated the numatx at first. My dimples were terrible and the rivets were bad. I was so frustrated that I was about to throw it away (or maybe sell) and buy pneumatic. I stuck with it and realized how to set it up correctly. If I had more experience going in then I would not have had the issues I had.

Now that I have my unit set up correctly, I love it. What I like the most is how light it is. Doesn't matter how many rivets I do, my hands never feel tired.

About dragging it around and the foot trigger. I mounted everything to some MDF, as others have shown in previous threads, so it is easy to push it to the corner of the shop. When driving rivets or dimpling I get the pedal positioned, usually sit on a stool, and I can rip through the work. The foot pedal is easy and you can feather it, with some practice. I am on the HS so I haven't gotten far and haven't had issues with the pedal. I am curious what is going to happen if I need to climb inside the plane and start riveting.

To sum up my experience. Steep learning curve, but you can do it. Just take your time. Best used from a stationary position (sitting) but you can stand. Lighter and easier to handle. pedal may be an issue later in the build when you need to get into tight spots.

If I had to do it over again, I would get the numatx. Would be nice if it also has a finger activation as well. Oh, and get the lightweight braided hose form Flyboys.

Numatx

I don't have any experience with the Pneumatic Squeezer so I can't compare. I chose the Numatx for many of the same reasons Ronshort2000 mentioned. I like the small body and as mentioned, the yoke is a majority of the weight. It did take some time to learn how to use the tool. I wish the instructions were better or had someone to help me start out. But since then it has worked very well for me. Mine came with a 6 ft. light weight braided hose. Not sure what's available now as standard. I still might consider an 8 ft hose. As far as some of the hard to reach places, an assistant to step on the pedal when called for works well. If I had to do it again, I would choose the Numatx. Good luck!

Last edited:
I am admittedly fairly early in the build process, but I have been very happy with https://www.cleavelandtool.com/products/main-squeeze-model-22 . Most of the squeezing is either dimpling or 3/32 rivets, and the Cleveland hand squeezer makes those easy. It's also great for trailing edges with the offset adapter they sell -- much easier than trying to partially squeeze at one angle then finish off the rivet parallel to the skin. So I suppose my answer is neither. :)

I started out many years ago with a heavy Chicago pneumatic squeezer, but bought a numatx when I started building my -10. Worth every penny.

Big advantages I see are:
- Set the pressure and squeeze any length of that size of rivet. I use 65 psi for all AN3’s and 80psi for AN4’s. Save time not making adjustments for rivet length.
- very light weight. It’s a little Over a pound in your hand vs 4 pounds for my old squeezer.
- pedal action let you have two hands on the part.
- nice to set up in a bench vice when working smaller parts.

I wouldn’t give it another thought, just get it.

Dies and yokes are compatible between the Numatx and the other popular squeezers.

It's a great tool, I love mine. One thing about the Numatx that is implied here but worth making very clear is that the tool does require some configuration and setup. It will work right out of the box but to be practical it kind of needs some kind of base to keep components connected and stable. This is necessary, but really not a big deal unless you decide it should be. I think it's kind of fun to see how people have set theirs up. After reading markarfarms description I'm thinking that a more vertical orientation with a place to hang the body and a handle at waist/table level may be a better way to go than what I have now...but I'll like mine and it will do until the end of this build. Maybe I'll change it up before I start my next airplane!

Attachments

• IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 210
Light weight and small size

Love the Numatx. In my opinion, best thing is the smaller size and weight. Allows me to hold the squeezer, and the part, allowing much more control for higher quality rivets.

Having started riveting on an RV-6 in 1991 and remembering I used a hand squeezer and rivet gun for all rivets. UGH!!!
How spoiled I am now having the Numatx and a pneumatic squeezer.
But the Numatx is the bomb. I love it and wouldn't do without it.
I turn to it anytime it will reach.
I bought a 6" yoke for it off some guy online who is making them.
Love it for the reach
Art

Having started riveting on an RV-6 in 1991 and remembering I used a hand squeezer and rivet gun for all rivets. UGH!!!
How spoiled I am now having the Numatx and a pneumatic squeezer.

Art

Exactly this! Spoiled to have both, or as I would read things to have all 3. I also have the traditional pneumatic as well as a hand squeezer as a result of some hand-me-down tools. Super handy to have different dies or sets in each of the three and be able to minimize tool changes. My hand squeezer usually has dimple dies since they're easy to squeeze, and some combo of flush and standard in the two powered squeezers.

+1 for Numatx

I have both a standard CP214 style squeezer and the Numatx.

The Numatx is my preference hands down.
Less adjusting after initial setup
Lighter and easier to get into tighter spots
The foot pedal leaves two hands free - much better.

Make a little stand for it with an air regulator and it’s easy to move around. If I had bought if first I probably would not have added the CP214 style squeezer.

Dies and yokes are compatible between the Numatx and the other popular squeezers.

It's a great tool, I love mine. One thing about the Numatx that is implied here but worth making very clear is that the tool does require some configuration and setup. It will work right out of the box but to be practical it kind of needs some kind of base to keep components connected and stable. This is necessary, but really not a big deal unless you decide it should be. I think it's kind of fun to see how people have set theirs up. After reading markarfarms description I'm thinking that a more vertical orientation with a place to hang the body and a handle at waist/table level may be a better way to go than what I have now...but I'll like mine and it will do until the end of this build. Maybe I'll change it up before I start my next airplane!

Yeah I would think an elevated position would be good. I'll have to make a stand for it, maybe easy on/off if needs to be removed for some reason. Next question, building an RV10 what size yokes am I going to need?

Yeah I would think an elevated position would be good. I'll have to make a stand for it, maybe easy on/off if needs to be removed for some reason. Next question, building an RV10 what size yokes am I going to need?

"need" is probably a 3" standard yoke and 2.5" flange yoke (aka longeron yoke). There are some odd times where a 4" or 6" longer yoke or a thin nose yoke are useful, but I've come to a point where I think it's both easier and faster to do the odd rivets with a rivet gun and bucking bar.

Back