What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WooHoo I have a hangar! Now if only.....

rileyspoon

I had an airplane to put in it.

I asked to be put on the waiting list for space at Twin Lakes (8A7) back in December when I started building. I had been told the wait was gong to be a long one so I was surprised when I was notified that space would be available at the beginning of March. Well March came and they said it would be April. I got the required hangar insurance, which was a struggle because the insurance company couldn't quite get past the fact that I didn't actually have an airplane yet. Then to have the airport folks tell me the current tenant had decided to stay and since he was a long time renter they were not going to force him to leave. So back on the waiting list. Cancelled the insurance (which they did not like) and just figured it was not a big deal as like everyone else I was on hold for my fuselage kit anyway.

Then this month I get an email saying my number is up and I have a hangar if I want it. Figured I better take it. At this point I can use it to store the wings and tail section that are taking up a lot of space at the build site. I'll do the fuselage build off site and then move it to the hangar for the last stages. Or at least that is the plan.

Last edited:
Same situation here, and I'm glad for it. I did the waiting list for a hangar at KTCY and the perfect one came up earlier this year. I'm towards the end of the fuselage kit working in my garage, with the finish kit and tail waiting in the hangar (wings complete in a corner of the shop).

The hangar that came up as available was in a cool older part of the airport near the pilot lounge and FBO, and with all cedar walls. Neat historic feel compared to the rusty T hangars. It's also adjacent to a hangar where my dad used to keep an airplane decades ago. I don't mind taking it on a little early.

In 1996 I paid $54K to build a 40 X 80 hangar at my home field. Who’d have thought it would almost keep pace with gold value! Maybe I won’t have to be a Walmart greeter!😜

Moved tail and wings today

Moved the completed wings and tail to the hangar to make room at the shop for the fuselage WHEN IT EVER GETS HERE. Been waiting since December.

Attachments

• 20210703_110221.jpg
    20210703_110221.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 107
Woo hoo

Finished moving from my shop to the airport. Now I just have to organize and put everything away. Maybe by Augest I’ll be back to work on the RV -6. Boy there’s still a lot to do before first flight.

RD

Good move

The best piece of advice I received came from Dan Horton, Technical Counselor. "Don't move the fuselage to the hanger until there's nothing left to do in your shop", of course providing you have a good shop next to your home. I was on a waiting list for 2 years and a day but still several months away from completion. I was anxious to make the move but he convinced me that I would spend more time in a climate controlled shop, a stone's throw from home, with all tools in one place. So I moved parts to the hanger as they were completed to free up space. Even though my hanger is only 10 minutes away, I'm convinced it saved me a couple of months and turned out to be a more enjoyable experience that my wife often participated in.

Back