What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightbox Photo

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Guess I need to start a thread - here goes !

2020100122162092-6198802760096503202-IMG_9839_heic-L.jpg

It is an interesting project that would pass an afternoon, or 2 afternoons depending on what fasteners you use.

I was disappointed that the hole spacing was so ridiculously wide. Thought about adding additional, but went ahead as is. Had to tape the light strip in place as the sticky on them gave up soon after application.

Last edited:

LED strip wouldn't stay put. Kept falling off. So much of it I tried cutting it into strips to span the bottom, cut four to length with wired connectors. Lasted a couple of days before one connector burned. Ordered an additional reel of the LEDs from Van's, laid the the entire strip best I could all over the bottom. Working fine for a few months now continuously on. Like to get a short glimpse of it occasionally through one of the hangar windows at night. Great motivator!

Last edited:
And mine showed the progress..... Blue, Scotch, Primer, Gloss :D

At first I thought that was polished and a reflection. Very neat. I didn't prime mine (uh-oh! Here we go! :rolleyes:) but I did powder coat and added waterslide decals of my RV-10's proposed paint scheme and nose art. I also changed to an aftermarket multicolor LED strip and controller. Sorry the YouTube video is a bit grainy and not steady, it was shot with a hand-held phone. One other mod: I put a sheet of clear lexan behind the logo to keep dust/bugs/etc. out of the box.

Great photos - let's keep it going and maybe make it a sticky ;-)

It is such a personal thing - love the cool polished, matt versions, all V cool.

Juxtaposition of light box and reflection...... Wow !

Last edited:
Mike, It’s not the Van’s kit, but I like it. Another's VAF member made a few of these before the aluminum kits were offered. Can’t remember who made it.

Attachments

• 7A82D27B-4ECF-4E5A-9957-4A2C372ACA0D.jpeg
    7A82D27B-4ECF-4E5A-9957-4A2C372ACA0D.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 215
Thats really cool!

I have added one to my wing order. Will keep my going if I get fed up of building wings for a while!

add some personality

You can add some personality or empty your junk box :)

Attachments

• IMG_7921.jpg
    IMG_7921.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 191
Back