What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ear Fatigue

I know I get ear fatigue quickly when using cheaper headsets. Even with quality ones, I still get it after an hour or so, and it can turn from a fun flight to an uncomfortable or even painful ordeal. Do you guys recommend any specific headsets or gear that minimizes ear fatigue?
Thanks

Look back just a couple of days and you will see two threads on headsets. Might also want to consider CQ1 or similar.

Do you have a link to a specific thread?

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=183546&highlight=headset

Mickey Mouse style head clamps all give you "the squeeze" headache after awhile. Some of us get used to it, some never do. If your outer ear is sore from being pinched, it may be a sign that your headset is due for new earpads and inner ear cup foam. David Clark sells kits to replace the foam and upgrade ear pads to gel. You can also get a nice cushion to take the hot spot off the top of your head. If you wear a ball cap, you might try drilling out the rivet on the top of your cap if there is one. That is a frequent source of hotspots.

The "in-ear" passive headsets (QT Halo, Clarity Aloft) eliminate "the squeeze" and the hot spots. But, they have their own limitations. Fiddley, dirty sponge type earplugs need frequent changing, extra time to get them just right, etc...

Bose A20 and the Lightspeed Zulus are a lot more comfortable than the traditional head-clamp. But, they are very $pendy!

Last edited:
CQ1 Headset

We've crossed 2,000 hours on our RV and know ear fatigue very well. We switched to in-ear headsets years ago. After flying the competition for more than a decade, we took our experimental roots to heart and added a CQ1 to the available options. We are always happy to talk headsets if you want to call us at 737-529-8074. You can find our website at cqheadset.com.

Here is a recent review: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=178566

CQ1

I've resisted buying the high end headsets while I'm still upgrading the plane. I got a CQ1 in-ear headset, but wanted more noise reduction... especially during a recent IPC session with a new instructor. I bought a pair of Peltior hearing protectors from Walmart and put them over my ears with the CQ1 ear buds in my ears. It's a Rube Goldberg solution, but I could turn the volumn way down on the radio and hear the controller much better. The clamping force of the hearing protectors is much lighter than with the typical headset and once you throttle back for cruise flight you can remove the hearing protectors if you prefer. John

I had issues with the Bose X but the Bose A20 are much more comfortable.

I have a lot of 5-6-7 hour legs with the A20's, and a couple of long legs stacked in a single day on a few occasions. Haven't had a problem yet with the A20's hurting my head or ears. I get awfully tired of the oxygen cannula after a while, but the headset is fine.

Back