What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 8-12, Step 2: Advice?

MJarreau

Well Known Member
We are trying to buck these rivets and are having issues with the tails cleating. At this point the skins have been riveted in place. Please offer advice for driving these 10 rivets.

(Searched unsuccessfully before posting, if this is addressed somewhere, please give me a pointer.)

TIA, Mike

Spooky.......:eek:

Read this, went to the shop and the plans were open at THAT page.

It is job one for us tomorrow when my Bro comes over for a build day and yes, all we will do is put the rivets in from the front, use an angled tungsten bar from the rear and an offset set on the gun. Looks relatively simple to me, but as the prints said, we waited until the whole thing was out of the fixture before we tackle this - it is done flat on the bench.

RV-10 (Should have Specified)

Randy and Mike,

Yes, we are talking about the rivets which attach the center ribs to the front spar.

We have the double offset set. The problem was not on the manufactured head, we found that straight forward. When we tried to buck, the shop head bent over. The first one (and only, thus far) bent over such that it did not fill the entire hole. :(

Thanks for your time!

Mike

Randy and Mike,

Yes, we are talking about the rivets which attach the center ribs to the front spar.

We have the double offset set. The problem was not on the manufactured head, we found that straight forward. When we tried to buck, the shop head bent over. The first one (and only, thus far) bent over such that it did not fill the entire hole. :(

Thanks for your time!

Mike

Those rivets are a pain but are doable. I had more trouble with the manufactured head than the shop head. The offset set wanted to spin on me.

From what I remember I used my tungsten angled bar and set them with that. I may have laid it down flat with a cardboard spacer and put the point of the angle next to the rib.

If the rivet is clinking over it's too long or you are holding the bar at the wrong angle. It's especially hard to gauge with the angled face since it doesn't line up with anything you can really see. You can go fairly slow and make sure it's starting correctly before setting fully.

Back