What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adjustable Set / Yoke

MJarreau

Well Known Member
We attempted to change yokes today and found the Cleaveland adjustable set holder would not fit into the yoke. We imagine this must be operator error but cannot figure it out. At the moment, the holder is in the freezer, the yoke in the garage (low tonight to be in the lower 70 degF). Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Either the through hole in the yoke is the wrong size or there is a burr somewhere. The set needs to be a slip fit in the yoke.

If the adjustable set won't fit through the hole in the yoke easily, don't force it. Remember it needs to slide freely through the yoke to set the rivets.
If it's just barely getting stuck, can you fit an appropriately sized drill bit through the yoke to provide enough clearance? Not in front of my tools or I would measure the hole size in my yokes for you.

Adjustable set

My bet is that the adjustable set is bent. Take it out and roll it on a flat surface to find out. Ask me how I know...

The set is nominally 3/8" with the through hole in the yoke a bit larger.

Checking the new yoke with the shank of a 3/8" drill bit will help figure out if there is enough clearance or not.

I also bent my homemade adjustable set. It was a bit of a bear to get out of the yoke. And it would go about half way into the yoke and stop after I got it out.

Looks Like Yoke Issues

I think that one of our 3 yokes has an undersized hole. The adjustable set holder fits into the other two. Not quite sure how we'll resolve this one. Might end up taking it to a machine shop..... Thought we had previously used it, but must not have.

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

Mike

If you bought the yoke from Cleaveland tools, then I think they will be willing to replace it. When I had a problem with a dimple die they immediately replaced it with no questions asked.

Back