What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Holes at top of F1202-E

N8DAV8R

Well Known Member
What's up with those two holes at very top of the F1202-E? I'm at the end of Sec. 23 and have looked ahead a little bit but I can't come up with any clear answer as to what those two holes are for at the top of the part. My best guess at this point is that they just provide some clearance for a rivet or hardware that installs to the top of the longeron through a hole that gets match-drilled later? Or...tooling holes for the bending of the part? Did I miss a step where that is explained?

I have included the KAI page, but you can't see the holes. They are on a flange bent forward at the top of the F1202-E. Imagine two more holes in the Longeron and they would be right below those.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 3.19.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 3.19.15 PM.png
    301.9 KB · Views: 199
The needed holes in the longeron are match drilled to the deck of the instrument bay.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I had looked ahead at that stuff is S29 but it still seemed unusual to me. Haven't really seen an assembly go together like that so far in the build, where you have a part match drilled between two pre-punched holes.

I guess the task in S29 is to drill through the instrument deck piece carefully so as not to penetrate through to the bulkhead, then manipulate the bulkhead as necessary to align the three parts when riveting?

Back