What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Broken Hinge Eye Replacement

HFS

Well Known Member
Here is a simple way of replacing those hinge eyes, at the end of a segment that seem to break off (with some regularity).

Just turn a new piece of hinge over (doesn't have to be the same material - can be SS or steel for more "durability"). Add "gap" spacer in between to align hinge pin. Drill/deburr and rivet together.

Worked for me on my -4 some 20+ years ago. I replaced the aluminum eyes with SS - never broke any of those.

YMMV

HFS Hinge Eye Replacement .jpg

Great tip

Here is a simple way of replacing those hinge eyes, at the end of a segment that seem to break off (with some regularity).

Just turn a new piece of hinge over (doesn't have to be the same material - can be SS or steel for more "durability"). Add "gap" spacer in between to align hinge pin. Drill/deburr and rivet together.

Worked for me on my -4 some 20+ years ago. I replaced the aluminum eyes with SS - never broke any of those.

YMMV

HFSView attachment 8464

HFS,
Way more better than my "match it up" attempts.
Thanks,
Daddyman

YMMV

HFSView attachment 8464

Now that is a really ingenious way to remedy a broken hinge!

I've got stainless hinges on my non-RV in a high-vibration area and they've been much more durable than the original aluminum ones. A good tip, thanks.

Dave

Back