What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airport Camping along the Mississippi?

tfriendshuh

Well Known Member
I'm making a trip from Duluth to New Orleans later this week and I'm thinking of spending a night somewhere in between - a nice rural airport where I could pitch a tent and roast a marshmallow or two would be ideal.

Courtesy car or walking distance to a town & restaurant would be a close second.

I'm pretty flexible about where - anywhere south of Dubuque IA & north of Memphis TN would likely fit into my plans.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys - that's exactly what I'm looking for!

:D:D

love finding remote grass strips :)

i-BXgZxmj-XL.jpg

In addition to Trigger Gap, Petit Jean is a bit west of the direct path. Less remote than Trigger Gap if you prefer bathrooms and electricity.

If you want to stay closer to the direct route, Perryville, MO (KPCD) has cheap gas and courtesy cars. Airport is in the middle of corn fields. I'm pretty sure they'd allow camping. The office has 24hr accessible lobby/bathrooms.

If you decide against camping, I’m at Jonesboro Ar 70 miles northwest of Memphis. You could land Jonesboro municipal or classic airstrip that’s where my hangar is. I’m on vacation this week working on my 12. Modest little house but very clean. Down town JBR great restaurant’s.

If you decide against camping, I?m at Jonesboro Ar 70 miles northwest of Memphis. You could land Jonesboro municipal or classic airstrip that?s where my hangar is. I?m on vacation this week working on my 12. Modest little house but very clean. Down town JBR great restaurant?s.

Thanks Rusty, but the wife has reviewed options and made her desires known :D

We'll be spending some time at Petit Jean - hiking and looking at the waterfall ;)

Petit Jean is an excellent choice, big RV fly-in there every year in late October. If weather moves in, The Rockefeller Center right down the road is excellent accommodations.

Tim,

I expect to arrive at Petit Jean Thursday afternoon. I'm attempting to lead a Europa aircraft flyin, but it looks like only 2 or 3 planes are planning to attend.

Be sure to read the comments on AirNav concerning KMPJ. I've found it difficult to coordinate with the listed FBO. They have told me that camping is not available this weekend. There are no rooms available at Mather Lodge.

If I can help out let me know. I will have a car.

Jim Butcher
Europa N24BW

If you decide against camping, I?m at Jonesboro Ar 70 miles northwest of Memphis. You could land Jonesboro municipal or classic airstrip that?s where my hangar is. I?m on vacation this week working on my 12. Modest little house but very clean. Down town JBR great restaurant?s.

Classic is a great little GA airport. I've been there several times.

I see you've already made your reservation, but to add to this list in case anyone else needs ideas, I'd suggest Reelfoot Lake, Airport Identifier 0M2.

I haven't been there but have it on my bucket list. You can google it, but here is one link.

Reelfoot Lake

We used to fly into a small private strip across the road from Gooch's Restaurant at Reelfoot when I was a kid. We would occasionally fly over for lunch and occasionally get up early, fly over for breakfast on Sunday mornings and be back home in time for church.

Reelfoot Lake is a pretty cool place.

Hi Tim, If you need a backup plan, I have a 2300ft grass strip, a shed to put the RV in should the weather dictate the need, a vehicle for you to drive, and a rustic yet quite modern cabin on a small lake/pond. You are quite welcome to pitch your tent at the water's edge, but if I were you, I would use the cabin! We are are south of Dubuque near the Davenport/Quad City area. And the cost of all of this would be a handshake and a smile. If interested give me a call at 563-370-3377. Have a great trip, Rick

Back