What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA Amateur-Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist Fixed Wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
I watched a EAA Webinar and it talked about a Check List. It shows credit for task towards building. I can't find checklist for older models Pre RV14.

Does anyone know where I can fond a checklist for RV-7. Apparently there was one. FAA changed the checklist and older kits were not updated to new format and are not on line I can find????

Here is an example of RV-14 Standard Build
https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/f...alights/amateur_built/RV14_RV14A_Standard.pdf

Here is an example of RV-14 Quick build.
https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/f...ights/amateur_built/RV14_RV14A_Quickbuild.pdf

I watched a EAA Webinar and it talked about a Check List. It shows credit for task towards building. I can't find checklist for older models Pre RV14.

Does anyone know where I can fond a checklist for RV-7. Apparently there was one. FAA changed the checklist and older kits were not updated to new format and are not on line I can find????

Here is an example of RV-14 Standard Build
https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/f...alights/amateur_built/RV14_RV14A_Standard.pdf

Here is an example of RV-14 Quick build.
https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/f...ights/amateur_built/RV14_RV14A_Quickbuild.pdf

The checklists you linked to are copies of the ones the FAA used to evaluate those kits to determine whether they were eligible to be on the approved kids list. They were determined to be eligible, so it is not necessary for a builder to use the checklist during their certification. All RV kits going back as far as the RV-6 are all on the approved kit list so as long as no commercial assistance is used beyond the normal things like instrument, panel, etc. then the form does not need to be used during certification for any of those kits.

The checklists you linked to are copies of the ones the FAA used to evaluate those kits to determine whether they were eligible to be on the approved kids list. They were determined to be eligible, so it is not necessary for a builder to use the checklist during their certification. All RV kits going back as far as the RV-6 are all on the approved kit list so as long as no commercial assistance is used beyond the normal things like instrument, panel, etc. then the form does not need to be used during certification for any of those kits.

You are right the older kits are approved under the "51%" rule. However I understand FAA has changed the way they evaluate them and the new kits have these checklist on line. There was something like this for the older kits. These check list or approvals are out there, would like to see one for the RV-7.

It is not a big worry but an outline. I can use RV-14 as a guide.

Last edited:
Right but I can only find RV-12, RV-14.... do you know where I can find those approvals. What I am interested in is the POINTS for different task. I want to use it as a guide for my builders log, and ppw when I get registered and my DAR inspection. I suppose I can use RV-14 for the RV-7 as an outline.

Of course you’re free to do whatever you want, but you do realize you don’t need that level of detail for either registration or the AWC inspection? I mean that’s kinda the whole point of the NKET process. The kit manufacturers do all that so builders don’t have to.

You are right the older kits are approved under the "51%" rule. However I understand FAA has changed the way they evaluate them and the new kits have these checklist on line. There was something like this for the older kits. These check list or approvals are out there, would like to see one for the RV-7.

It is not a big worry but an outline. I can use RV-14 as a guide.

Just to assure clarity for anyone else in the future.... ALL kits on the FAA approved kit list have been evaluated by the FAA to meet the 51% rule. Not just older kits.

The only difference between older and newer kits is that the evaluation form was revised around 2011, so some of the older kits were evaluated using a different version of the form, but are grandfathered as still in compliance. But regardless which form was used, its purpose was to evaluate compliance with the 51% rule.

The current form

The only reason I as a DAR have to use the form during a certification project is if there is a question of whether the airplane meets the 51% rule requirement, such as when additional commercial assistance has been used for completion of a Quick Build kit. The quick build kit on its own is no problem because it is on the approved kits list, but because it is already pushing up near the limit of what the FAA will allow, adding addition professionally done work such as the use of a builder assistance center, the use of the form may be required but the build centers are typically up to speed on all the rules and requirements and by using the form as a guide, are able to make sure the owner will have no issues certifying as an E-AB.

Just to assure clarity for anyone else in the future.... ALL kits on the FAA approved kit list have been evaluated by the FAA to meet the 51% rule. Not just older kits.
Not clear at all. Let me clear it up. The older kits were NOT re-evaluated by the FAA NKET team (National Kit Evaluation Team). The newer kits they evaluated with the new format (points vs. hours), is available on-line as shown in link below. The only Van's models evaluated are RV-12 and Rv-14. No other Van's kits are on the FAA website. That does not mean the older kits are not valid approved 51% rule kits, just they don't have new checklist format.

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/kits/nket_list

The older kit evaluations (old format) were never widely made public and impossible to fine. They are still not updated and made public with new format. They may be in the future? However the EAA did get the checklist for older kits, by freedom of information act. I have a call into them to get a copy for the RV-7. It will be in older Hours format vs. point system. That is fine.

FAA Builders Checklist is for my own education, personal organization of my builders log, to assure documentation for both the airworthiness and my repairman certificate, even if not necessary. I have a slow build standard kit and doing all the work, there is no danger of not meeting the 51% rule.

These checklist are interesting. Example painting is good for ZERO points. Panel, zero point, regardless if the panels is Day VFR vs. Deluxe IFR. They give you less than one point to fabricate the panel and brackets. It is just nerd curiosity. Cheers.

Last edited:
As I already said, older kits didn’t need to be reevaluated with the updated version of the form.
If they are on the approved kits list that I posted a link to, that means they have been evaluated by the FAA and been determined to meet the 51% rule (and they all have… they are all on the list).
Here it is again in case you missed it
https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av...uilt/kits/media/amateur_built_kit_listing.pdf

Last edited:
Broken links...

These links no longer work. Any updated links available?

I'm in my AWC process and DAR inspection is on the 16th. The DAR asked for the completed Fabrication and assembly checklist (2011). Yes he's old school. I will talk with him about it since the -7 is on the updated approved listing but wanted a completed form just in case.

TIA

I'm in my AWC process and DAR inspection is on the 16th. The DAR asked for the completed Fabrication and assembly checklist (2011). Yes he's old school. I will talk with him about it since the -7 is on the updated approved listing but wanted a completed form just in case.

TIA

You mean a DAR who doesn't understand how the earlier checklists were used, and that the FAA gave approval years ago?

You don't say.

Color me surprised. /s

As I already said, older kits didn’t need to be reevaluated with the updated version of the form.
If they are on the approved kits list that I posted a link to, that means they have been evaluated by the FAA and been determined to meet the 51% rule (and they all have… they are all on the list).
Here it is again in case you missed it
https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av...uilt/kits/media/amateur_built_kit_listing.pdf
Strawman argument. Never Ssid "they need to be reevaluated". However I have been told they will / may / are going to go back to kits still in production, example RV7/ RV8/ RV10. It's the Gov not holding my breath. I asked a question. Where to get the old Eval forms, not a list of approved kits. I know the RV7 is approved. No kidding. The old Eval forms have been removed from on line access. I know I researched it. Well I scored the old evaluation form for RV's and you can't have it. Ha ha. YOUR LINK PAGE NOT FOUND... HA HA. IN CASE YOU MISSED IT SMART GUY. ��

Last edited:

TIA

A Google search for “FAA approved kit list” finds this

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/kits/amateur_built_kit_listing

YES this is is an APPROVED LIST.... Got it. I've known this for 30 years, but thank you. That is NOT what I am talking about. I am talking about the actual detailed CHECK LIST FAA used showing the number of hours (old method) or points (new method) for the different task, to show the 51% compliance. It is very detailed, a break down by tasks. It is several pages long for one specific make/model.

Show me on line the compliance checklist form for RV4, RV6, RV7, RV8. You will not find it. I have researched this. It is NO LONGER on line. We know they meet the 51% rule, which is all you really all anyone needs to know. However I wanted to see the FAA's assigned break down by task for the RV7. Got it,

You can get new FAA 51% check list and break down by task, for new EAB kits, like the RV14 (approved 2016). It is a moot point now. I am good, I got the old compliance check list for the RV6/7 sent to me. It is no longer publicly available. The details are probably only interesting to me. Cheers

Last edited:
YES this is is an APPROVED LIST.... Got it. I've known this for 30 years, but thank you. That is NOT what I am talking about.

LOL

My post earlier today wasn't to you George. It was to someone that was actually looking for the current approved kit list;)

Go to this link for all the Fabrication and Assembly Checklists:

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/kits

It does NOT have all RV approvals. Only RV14 and RV12 and variations A-models, rtc., as I said. Good link, I already mentioned this is on line. My comment was for older EAB's (RV 3/4/6/7/8/10). What is wrong.l? Nothing, except being piled on. I got what I need from contact who personally archived them. It was not easy.

You have a link to archive of original FAA approvals / task check-list for older EAB's I'd appreciate it. To my best research FAA removed access, my story sticking to it. I'm good, I answered my question and got the data. Nuff said. Thank You :)

Wait for it... :)
Wait for what. Your trolling? You lost. Ha ha. :)

Last edited:
It does NOT have all RV approvals. Only RV14 and RV12 and variations A-models, rtc., as I said. Good link, I already mentioned this is on line. My comment was for older EAB's (RV 3/4/6/7/8/10). What is wrong.l? Nothing, except being piled on. I got what I need from contact who personally archived them. It was not easy.

You have a link to archive of original FAA approvals / task check-list for older EAB's I'd appreciate it. To my best research FAA removed access, my story sticking to it. I'm good, I answered my question and got the data. Nuff said. Thank You :)

Aaaaand there it is. That didn't take long at all. :)

See AC 20-27G for the check list. Its in Appendix 8

That is a great AC abd gives an example of how to apply for Airworthiness Certification using an RV6. This AC is 2009. RV6 came out 20 years before. Appendix 8 is blank. I have original check list. The QB planes barely make 51% rule. Great reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back