What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (3/12/22 - 3/13/22)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Saturday, with a big capital 'H' parked over our area and not a cloud in the state, I sat safety pilot in my -6 as a friend logged some more IFR rating hood time. Pax seat left brake pedal is mushy on my RV-6. Things to fix <g>.

Out to Mineral Wells and Natty Flats BBQ for lunch.

IMG_5502-XL.jpg

Warning lights on the courtesy car. Did you know there is a VAF courtesy car page HERE?

IMG_5503-X2.jpg

Things falling off the courtesy car. It probably worked at one time.

IMG_5505-L.jpg

RNAV GPS RWY 31 practice approach into Mineral Wells (KMWL)

IMG_5504-L.jpg

Remains of Fort Wolters, pretty much where many Army helicopter pilot going to Vietnam got their primary training.

Go to http://www.fortwolters.com/main_heliport.html if you’re interested in the history of Fort Wolters. The circled parts below have a lot of pictures.
IMG_5507-XL.jpg

IMG_5506-XL.jpg

Return flight to 52F with an RNAV RWY 35 practice approach.

2022031219212982-iOS-Upload-File-25004433-X2.jpg

Check out that track a little closer - impressive until you find out the a/p was on <g>.

Beautiful day here in N.TX. Hope the same where you are.

v/r,dr

Last edited:
Flew to Napa.
Had lunch.
Flew home.
Put the plane back in the hangar.

Ok, maybe the width of the pattern gives it away that I wasn’t in my RV. But I wish that I was. And I heard another VAF’er on the radio on the way in. That’s gotta count for something?

Attachments

• 66B78D71-5CBB-4899-8D9A-522830804C1E.jpg
    66B78D71-5CBB-4899-8D9A-522830804C1E.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 663BF38F-8BB8-4F5A-B277-7519010FD06E.jpg
    663BF38F-8BB8-4F5A-B277-7519010FD06E.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 179
And I heard another VAF’er on the radio on the way in. That’s gotta count for something?
That would be me! Got my wife to go flying for the first time in about 6 months. A friend of ours from high school and college and a groomsman in our wedding passed away recently. His family organized a celebration of his life in my hometown of Long Beach, CA so we flew up there to attend. Saw Marc (plummit) on the ramp giving EAA YE rides. Had lunch with my Mom and brother/sister-in-law, then back to Ramona. Clear skies and a tailwind both ways!

Andrew Kilroy

Flew down in the Magic Carpet (7A) to Oakland since Andrew Kilroy was installing his wings on his RV-14A! Yeahhhh!:D Awesome group, great times, lots of shenanigans, and a smooth install. Well done, Andrew, HUGE milestone! Looking forward to the upcoming first flight. Andrew, second from right, in photo.

PS - my only regret was missing out on the post install beer and fine liquor consumption since I flew in :(

Attachments

• Andrew 14A wings.jpg
    Andrew 14A wings.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Yes Jerry following your foot steps. Very soft surface at HS. Have you ever been to Range Creek what a gorgeous place!

Saw Marc (plummit) on the ramp giving EAA YE rides. Had lunch with my Mom and brother/sister-in-law, then back to Ramona. Clear skies and a tailwind both ways!

Yup, just getting ready to launch another plane-load of kids when I see Bruce's -9A taxi by and park. Was using our C-172 so can't take credit for an RV flight on Saturday, but I was wearing my VAF hat!

Did get to attend an Imagine Dragons concert Saturday night, then broke out the RV Sunday morning for a solo breakfast run to KCMA where I met up with some friends.

-Marc

Last edited:
Rudder build

Fabricated stiffeners (again), drilled, deburred, and bucked rivets for the first time to install the stiffeners. Hopefully I'll have this thing complete soon so I can get back in the air. I'm gaining a whole new respect for those who have built RV's that weren't pre-punched.

Attachments

• IMG_20220312_173739611.jpg
    IMG_20220312_173739611.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20220312_082450_635.jpg
    IMG_20220312_082450_635.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 130
Flew down in the Magic Carpet (7A) to Oakland since Andrew Kilroy was installing his wings on his RV-14A! Yeahhhh!:D Awesome group, great times, lots of shenanigans, and a smooth install. Well done, Andrew, HUGE milestone! Looking forward to the upcoming first flight. Andrew, second from right, in photo.

PS - my only regret was missing out on the post install beer and fine liquor consumption since I flew in :(

Oh that was too much fun/anxiety. Now if only the plane would kindly fix herself up into inspection readyness so I can take a break that'd be great.

Back