What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BNC Bulkhead Connector

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Last edited:
If you are using the coax for just receiver (VOR/ILS/LOC) then it won't be much of an issue. If it is for a transmitter (Comm radio) then it will make your VSWR go higher and you won't have maximum range.

FWIW; modern comm radios can handle higher VSWR values that older ones could but, theoretically, it can damage the power amplifier section of your radio. If you can borrow a VSWR meter from a local HAM radio operator, check the value and make your decision. Or better yet, get the correct connector.

:cool:

can you use a feed-through BNC, so you can just put regular crimp BNCs on each side? Should be pretty easy to find.

Attachments

• large_269_bnc-3193.jpg
    large_269_bnc-3193.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for all the help,

It’s for a archer Nav in my wingtip - but in the end I had the wrong one with a smaller ferrule, so ordered the correct 🤞🏻 50 Ohm one.

I’ve realised my knowledge on antennas is very limited - and I don’t feel much more enlightened after reading AEC either!

Good news

If the fitting will work mechanically, the ferrule, the cable - 50 or 75 ohms for the fitting will have no measurable effect at ~100 mhz, period.

I think using a bulkhead fitting to connect is a good idea. It will reduce any noise that might be present on the outside of the cable picked up in the electrically busy panel area and conveyed out to the antenna. Electrically more sanitary.

The ohmage of the fitting is not important. But tuning is.

In you other thread, RocketBob suggested a nanoVNA to tune the antenna. That would be my suggestion as well. ~$60 or less and an order of magnitude more advanced than the $400 box. The only negative is the hour or so to get familiar with the buttonology. Get one with a battery. And you'll need some coax fittings

Ron

Back