What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pressure Washing Engine

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
I did some searches but couldn't find anything on the topic. I probably need to expand my vocabulary.

Do any of you use a pressure washer to clean your engine during condition inspection? If so, what cleaning solution are you using to clean it? I've been using Varsol (air compressor delivery) but looking to see if there is anything to use in a pressure washer that'd be as effective and less smelly in getting rid of the oil residue and general crud buildup.

I use mineral spirits and a home depot spray bottle. Soak down the engine, let sit for 5 minutes.. then hit with an ordinary garden hose. It comes out clean enough to eat off of! No high pressure needed!

I most definitely WOULD NOT use a pressure washer.
Could not agree more. I use a long set of hemostats with a rag and something like wd-40 to clean things. Plus it gives you time to look carefully at everything on and around the engine. A pressure washer will put water in places you don't want water.

Iwould be very careful about using brake cleaner. Some will soften and remove powder coated and painted. Found this out the hard way.

A pressure washer will put water in places you don't want water.

I have used pressure washers on engines that were full bird nests and mud and had zero problems. Taped up the vents on the mags and had at it.

I have used pressure washers on engines that were full bird nests and mud and had zero problems. Taped up the vents on the mags and had at it.

Yeah, I was wondering where water might get in and couldn't think of any real problematic places that couldn't be dealt with a little bit of sealing and care. Of course, no one would shoot a spray into the air intakes, for example. The only delicate item I wouldn't shoot is the oil cooler with its delicate fins.

Siphon gun/engine washer and mineral spirits. They are cheap and available from most anywhere. Probably less than $15. If you don't use it for that, there's plenty of other uses.

I just did this…

Get a hand pump weed sprayer bottle, they are low pressure. Top the bottle up with varsol and put a tray under your engine to catch everything that drips off. Spray on… engine was pretty clean after. I wiped it down with a cloth afterwards.
You can also spray the engine with 100ll it works to clean everything off pretty well, but it stinks for a few hours until it’s totally dry.

As above

And put a piece of cardboard in the drip pan, use weed sprayer with water to rinse and let that soak up and dry the residue.

Get a hand pump weed sprayer bottle, they are low pressure. Top the bottle up with varsol and put a tray under your engine to catch everything that drips off. Spray on… engine was pretty clean after. I wiped it down with a cloth afterwards.
You can also spray the engine with 100ll it works to clean everything off pretty well, but it stinks for a few hours until it’s totally dry.

Not my business but...
Please think twice about pressurizing (even slightly), spraying/atomizing fuel. There are so many safer choices.

Stay safe.

Mineral spirits applied with spray and/or brush ( brush loosens caked on grime) and rinse with hot water from a laundry tub faucet and garden hose. High pressure is too invasive.

Back