What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider sticks

Jwputnam

Well Known Member
I am finishing up my slider this week. It seems to stick shut awfully hard. Kind of scares me a little as it is VERY difficult to get it to start opening when I am on the inside. I have reamed out the plastic hold downs a little because I though they were the primary issue, but now I am thinking that it is the plastic slide on the center bar that is the problem. It doesn't like lifting up the rail at that angle for the first few inches.

Have any of you run into this? Any obvious fix?

On mine (a long time ago), I remember opening up the center slide a little, but the real binding came from the rollers in the tracks. I forget if they were rubbing against the inboard or outboard edge of the tracks, but I did something there (don't remember what) and loosened things up considerably.

Also you might try adjusting the threaded rod that connects the front of the slider track to the baggage bulkhead. If this is too far forward it might make it hard to start the opening process.

Temporary pull the rear side guide blocks out and try open and closing it, the holes in the blocks may not be at the right angle?

From the cockpit, where are you pushing/pulling to open it from fully closed? Mine also is a bit tough if using the front locking handle, but I usually reach back behind my head and push upward on the frame near the rear of the slider to help the aft end start the angled upward transition, and it just pops right up and moves aft with very little force from that point.

I have now taken all of these suggestions and the combination must have done the trick. It now opens and close with ease. I even cleaned out the rails.

The candle wax had the greatest effect. I'll have to keep a candle with me!

Thanks so much.

Back