What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starters

ksdflying

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi, I have been trying to find some good quantifiable reviews on starters.
I found this thread: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=205440
where some folks asked some really good questions in this thread. But it is a little bit off topic for my ask. Instead I am trying to gather a more wholistic review or comparison. "Why" is because I need to once and for all put to bed a very frustrating issue I have been thrown into.

Has anyone gathered a recent (within 2 years) comparison data-set that is factual and truly identifies which company makes truly a reliable and robust Starter?

The one I have, with less than 70 hours on it has left me stranded twice. 1. obviously not acceptable I am going to buy a new one. 2. no I am not going to napa to buy and swap out a solenoid, that is ridiculous. 3. The cost difference between two top brands I looked at this morning is negligible, so I do not care about cost difference.

So, between BNC, Skytec, and maybe others?, has anyone reached out to any of these makers and asked Why should I buy yours? AND/OR has anyone gathered factual market analysis data?

I have Skytec NL series (no solenoid to fail or large Alum housing to crack) on both my planes and they have given me very good service with no failures. I would avoid the lightweight series (LS, I think), as I hear several problems. I have heard very good things about B&C, but have no experience.

Larry

Last edited:
Would it be ridiculous to ask if anyone willing and able might have a BnC starter: BCS206-149-12?
Both BnC and AircraftSpruce having bad supply issues, but BNC said they would put me on a waitlist for a new starter….availability within several months.
I could buy your new one now if you don't need it and then order a new one today…..ship it to you when it finally come in at BnC.
anyone?

I am interested to change over to BnC. it SEEMS like their reliability is better.

Last edited:
Would it be ridiculous to ask if anyone willing and able might have a BnC starter: BCS206-149-12?
Both BnC and AircraftSpruce having bad supply issues, but BNC said they would put me on a waitlist for a new starter….availability within several months.
I could buy your new one now if you don't need it and then order a new one today…..ship it to you when it finally come in at BnC.
anyone?

I am interested to change over to BnC. it SEEMS like their reliability is better.

I have a B&C starter on my yet to be flown -9A. Swapped out the Skytec starter and Nippon alternator as precautionary PM a year or so ago. Under normal circumstances I would be willing to offer mine up, but with today’s supply uncertainties no way. I don’t think anyone else would risk it either. If it’s just the solenoid that needs replacement on yours to get it going, it’s a relatively a cheap temporary fix for you while you wait for a back order B&C.

B&C starter

I have a brand new B & C in the box and need a a Sky-Tec 149 NL. If your willing to order one I’m happy to swap.
theduffatearthlinkdotnet

Dan - I had issues with my new SkyTec starter and it had a click-no-start symptom that happened within 60 hrs and then later. It was a cracked solder joint on the solenoid - it happened early in its life and it is possible I broke it in the build.

I don't know if a solenoid would help your situation as we don't know your specifics.

FWIW - here is my summary: https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1550502&postcount=16

Replying and THANK YOU

Hi to those that reached out in help. Your tribal wisdom is so appreciated.
@BillL-thank you sir for the solenoid wisdom. I read the link. Yup it was the solenoid. Obviously we have a multi year ongoing ISSUE with said maker of starter.
@theduff-thank you, If I had the NL model starter I would have taken this offer up with you, But Lycoming put the XLT model on my engine. Not enough time to figure out the differences in applicability of NL vs XLT for my set up. Gosh though, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have your BnC. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess what I would tell you to do with your NL and BnC starter! But thank you.
@Ir172-I will talk to Lycoming about this NL model....."no solenoid" is interesting. All I know is Lycoming selected the XLT for my IO-360-M1B due to its torque capability. I will research the NL.

Okay, ALL that said...long story short because of our shamefully pathetic manufacturing environment I was forced the through money at this. Only option I has was, (very reluctantly mind you), to buy another brand new skytec XLT, in order to get going. No other option was going to happen either at all or in any timely fashion. I need my plane flying asap. I am talking to BnC right now and going to work with them - actually to help with with a solution. Won't help me but maybe I can help others by helping B&C fix their no-fit issue to actually get theirs to fit in some of our engine set ups like mine. Anyways, skytec is sending me a replacement XLT, but they won't have one until middle of February. I was forced to **** away a $200 stupid core charge and buy one from Aircraft Spruce. Not a happy venture here, but I am flying again. Hope all this helps someone.
Oh, did I mention, Buy a BnC for crying out loud! If I had come across this Starter nonsense with Skytec back when I bought my engine, then no question at all at that time would I have absolutely changed out both Alternator and Starter to BnC. FWIW.
Dan

Last edited:
I wish Id bought another one of these when I got it, you just cant kill it. Got it NOS sat on a shelf for 8 years and finally wound up in ebay where I picked it up for 325 bucks back about 5 years ago. Kelly was bought by Hartzell and CANNOT believe how much starters have gone up in the past 5 years, these were around $600. new at spruce a few years ago

Attachments

• 8E1CCE25-838E-4B91-99BF-FD3FEEC03791.jpeg
    8E1CCE25-838E-4B91-99BF-FD3FEEC03791.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 53903F5F-F2B4-4E67-B5AD-F901389337D8.jpeg
    53903F5F-F2B4-4E67-B5AD-F901389337D8.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Wow, it seems like Kelly aerospace was yet another company that made a more reliable starter. Welp, lucky you! Maybe one day Skytec will fix their solenoid issues.

Back