What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy status

Ron B.

Well Known Member
My friends RV-14 has dual G3X's and has the canopy indicating switch installed and connected to the Garmin. He is getting the "canopy open" indication but with the canopy closed and the switch triggered he reads "CHECK CANOPY" rather than Canopy closed. Steinair doesn't know why and neither does Garmin and Van's. They all say check with the other two. Great game but doesn't work for my friend. Anyone with G3X come across this?

My friends RV-14 has dual G3X's and has the canopy indicating switch installed and connected to the Garmin. He is getting the "canopy open" indication but with the canopy closed and the switch triggered he reads "CHECK CANOPY" rather than Canopy closed. Steinair doesn't know why and neither does Garmin and Van's. They all say check with the other two. Great game but doesn't work for my friend. Anyone with G3X come across this?

The way it is supposed to be configured is that there is a switch of either micro or reed style, that is wired with one end to ground and the other to the discrete pin on the G3X, which is generally one of the pins on the GEA24, but could also be a GAD27, or GSU73, whichever is applicable for your installation.

That discrete pin is then configured in the G3X configuration page. You said "dual G3X", which in an RV-14 is generally two 10" GDU 460's. If that is correct, then the configuration instructions are section 35.4.32.26 Discrete Inputs of the G3X Installation Manual rev AN. Ensure the G3X is configured correctly for that discrete input using the preconfigured input function "Canopy Closed".

Assuming Steinair did their normally outstanding work, the G3X is probably configured right, which leaves you with the normal problem, which is that either the switch isn't working right, or isn't wired correctly.

BTW, you should be able to test the canopy setup with the canopy open where it will change from caution (yellow) to alert (red) at I believe 1200 RPM.

Last edited:
Your assumption is correct , he does have two 10 " GDU460s. It's getting very frustrating that everyone is saying it's a ground or wiring issue and not understanding our particular issue . I'm sure it's me not articulating the issue correctly as everyone is giving the same advise.
Could someone tell me how the alert on the GDU 460 goes from "canopy open" to "Check canopy" if the switch or wiring is not correct. Everything works perfect other than the terminology. I guess if it cannot be changes we will have to take a magic marker and some whiteout and make the change that way.
Sorry I do appreciate your time, it's some of the others we have reached out to that are not understanding our issue that is very frustrating. And yes , we know nothing about avionics.

Finally getting straighten out on the terminology . "Check Canopy" in some language means "Canopy Closed" , problem solved as per Garmin. Don't like it but my friend will have to live with it. I can only imagine how many concerned passengers in the future will be alarmed when in flight they scan on Check Canopy.

I believe I have a similar set up to your friends and my "Canopy Open" warning just goes away on the G3X when the canopy is closed and latched. It is not replaced with any other message.

I believe I have a similar set up to your friends and my "Canopy Open" warning just goes away on the G3X when the canopy is closed and latched. It is not replaced with any other message.

I haven't looked at it with the engine running over 1200 rpm, perhaps it goes away after that. Yesterday is the first time he ran the engine up fully and I didn't look. No message would be better than CHECK CANOPY in my opinion.
Thanks

another data point

I haven't looked at it with the engine running over 1200 rpm, perhaps it goes away after that. Yesterday is the first time he ran the engine up fully and I didn't look. No message would be better than CHECK CANOPY in my opinion.
Thanks

I know in my setup there is no message regarding the canopy while in flight or on the ground with the engine running. I am not 100% sure (I'll check today if I get a chance to run the airport), but I'm pretty sure the only time I get a message is if the microswitch is not depressed. I do believe that mine is set up to have a different alert depending on whether or not the plane is stationary or not. i.e. If I open the canopy while taxiing I get an audible chime with the CAS message flashing.

In my 14 with dual 10" G3X screens the canopy warning is only on when the canopy is not latched shut, and when shut/latched there is no warning in any condition. Assuming your microswitch is properly connected then it must be a configuration setting. Are you 100% sure you have it plugged correctly at the switch? I recall three blades, with NO, NC, and ground on mine..... You may get weird results if you have the NO and NC blades connected to each other instead of the right one to ground.

From the G3X install manual:
"Canopy Closed - Used with a switch that activates the input when the aircraft canopy is closed and locked. A solid yellow CANOPY OPEN message will appear on the PFD if the Canopy Closed input is not active. If engine power is increased or the aircraft is airborne, the CANOPY OPEN message will flash red and an alert tone will sound."

With the canopy open we are getting a solid yellow "CANOPY OPEN" . As soon as the switch is activated (played with the switch's adjustment slots on the canopy) the message display changes to "CHECK CANOPY". I cannot for the life of me see that with this indication we have things wired or connected wrong. Incorrect wiring doesn't change wording, and wording is all I see that is incorrect with our set up at this time.

Canopy Discrete Input

Ron,

Please export your configuration file and email it to us. This can be done by inserting an SD card in the display, booting the system up into configuration mode (press MENU while applying power), and selecting Config. Once in this menu, press the MENU button and choose the export option.

Thanks,

Justin

I'm not too smart, I will try if that doesn't work I will certainly get help to do so.
Thanks

It has to be something in the setup. Just thinking mine came all pre-programmed from Aerotronics and is also tied to air speed. When I had my pitot static test done it was done with the canopy open and when we got up to a certain speed the canopy warning started flashing along with an audible alarm.

Here is some additional info from Van's.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-con...G3X_Touch_Canopy_Warning_Read-Me_01-20-17.pdf

Thanks
My friends was done by Stein. I will have someone help us with this.

Well the cable guy says reboot the modem!
Why not change the G3X software to an earlier version, then upgrade again to the latest. And double check the connectors you used on the switch.... just sayin' why not check..... Seems you have the discrete input on the right line for the indication to change with the switch active/open.

Re-open this thread. Same Problem

I have the same issue and wondering if anyone else does too or suggestions on fix.

When canopy closed it changes from Canopy open to canopy closed. But the Check Canopy words stay on EFIS.

At 1800 rpm I get audible alert to check canopy.

Back