What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV trainer (kitfox)

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
OK, so I hope I don't get deleted for not being RV-related. I'm hoping the connection will be that my sons will be future RV drivers. I just finished the Kitfox hoping they will now learn to fly, and I set the panel up to look like the RV-10 to ease the transition when the time came.

Of course, it makes it easier for me, too. :) Love the AFS's.

Vic

Last edited:
Awesome Vic!

(5) RVs in your signature.....I think it's RV-related :D.

Great paint job.

DAR Inspection

Just wondering, do you inspect a plane you've built? It seems like it might be good to have another set of eyes look it over.

RV6

Vic,

I met the owner of the red RV6 you built some time ago. I can't remember his name, but he was super nice. The 6 was really looking good too. We met at the gas pump at Pine Mountain airport at Callaway Gardens. He had a friend in an RV8 that was just as nice. You obviously have the talent to build RVs.

David Watson

+1

Vic,
Can I be your son too? :D
Looks good!

Me too! I grew up in Georgia, so I could have been your adopted son... Unfortunately, I had parents that loved me enough to keep me, but not enough to build me a slew of cool airplanes (and live on an awesome airpark)..;)

Thanks.

Thanks for all of the kind words. Yes, I wish I could adopt myself. :)
As for the inspection, as a DAR you can not license any airplane you have been involved in as a part of building. The MIDO here actually uses mine for training purposes, which is another story. :)

Vic,

I'm coming down your way in a few weeks to drop of our -6. Kent is doing a panel upgrade on it. Love to see your work if you're around.

Vic,

I'm coming down your way in a few weeks to drop of our -6. Kent is doing a panel upgrade on it. Love to see your work if you're around.

You will be very impressed I assure you. Not only is Vic a great buy, but he's a terrific builder and DAR!!!

Great looking Kitfox Vic. I've been thinking about one of them myself.

Once I get the hours flown off any of you are welcome to come by and fly it. The Kitfoxes are a wonderful complement to our RV's. And no, I don't get anything for saying that. :)

Vic

I am probably not the only one that wishes you had a web site that we could go to to see a bunch of pictures of all your builds. Very nice Kitfox. I see one of them in my future. In fact, I am going to the factory tomorrow to "just look around"!!

Early stats...

Engine is a Rotax 912ULS, 100HP, with a Warp Drive propeller. After an hour or so of flight testing, it appears to be about 116-120 MPH TAS airplane at 2500' and 50 degrees OAT, 5300-5400 engine rpm's and 4.7gph and 23.6" MAP. Can't believe how cold it is here in Georgia in May! Power off stalls are 48 mph IAS full flaps, 52 mph for 1 notch, and 54 clean. It flies hands off in all flight regimes so far except final with full flaps requires some back stick pressure.
Vic

Wow. Not that I am aware of. We just had our Spring Fly in this week end. Can't imagine where that rumor is coming from. We aren't surrounded by any potential problem areas that I am aware of.

Vic

One of my neighbors makes accessories for the Kitfox, it is fun to poke around in his hangar and see what his is cooking up at any given moment.

http://www.highwingllc.com/products.html

His new plane has rudder trim, that is totally hidden inside the rudder. Uses a cam setup to bulge out one side of the fabric or the other, changes the airfoil shape. Interesting "out of the box" thinking.

Big Day

Well, I am very pleased to tell everyone that my youngest son soloed the Kitfox last evening. On Father's Day he gave me a framed copy of his Sport Pilot Written test (passed!), so he is on his way for sure. :)
It was actually kind of neat to see the airplane fly and to hear and see everything working (radios, wigwag, etc.). And I don't think I could have improved upon the 4 landings he did!

Vic

Last edited:
Big Day

Vic,
Way to go, I know your proud of him and you should be. Luv hearing the Rotax pur from you and others.
Need to come see the fox soon.

Ross Scroggs
Locust Grove, GA
RV-4 #3911

Back