What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Fuselage Builders

rv4ross

Friend
Greetings to all,
I have my fuselage in the jig and am trying to fit the F414 and F415 seat ribs to the F404 bulkhead. I have the distance set from the 404 to 407 to match my wings but I'm having trouble figuring out how to insert the lower W420 spar splice plate to the aft side of the 404 after the 414 ribs are installed. I have the 414's notched but can't figure out how to insert the plates after all of the skins are installed without having to remove more material. Just don't want to get trapped in the future while trying to install the wings.
Is the answer just to remove more material or has someone come up with a
method that is better?

Thanks to all,

Ross Scroggs
Locust Grove, GA
RV4 #3911
Fuselage in jig

Greetings to all,

Is the answer just to remove more material or has someone come up with a
method that is better?

You have to create a larger notch in order to insert the bottom splice plate. Only other option is to place the splice plate there before you rivet everything together.

Making the notch "Wider" is the way I went and it is much easier to modify the seat ribs before they are installed. I know this because the first time I built the fuselage I didn't do this. When I rebuilt it post-crash the second time I remembered the pain and agony and made the mods first.

You don't get these kinds of questions from those building the erector set kits. Good catch and good luck finishing your -4 - You will LOVE it.

Back