What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Young Eagles flights

do you fly young eagles?

• not interested

Votes: 39 11.8%
  • interested in flying kids

Votes: 64 19.3%
  • yes, i fly young eagles

Votes: 228 68.9%

• Total voters

turbo

Well Known Member
after flying in a young eagles event last weekend with ower local eaa chapter http://go.webvideoplayer.com/view/fKOiGgPw0RJqLcH1nt2h20654 i thought it would be interesting to poll ower pilots on this issue.
30144069.gif

Last edited:
I'm currently in Phase I testing of my -8A. When the aircraft is ready to fly Young Eagles, I definitely want to do it. It is something I believe in and look forward to doing it.

Absolutely

I'm the YE coordinator for our EAA chapter (13). We just had our first event and flew 107 kids! (I flew 12).
5 of the 9 planes participating were RV's (one 6, one 6A, two 7A's, and an 8).

At the KFLG open house this past weekend, our chapter flew 108 young eagles. My aircraft was on static display during the show but I flew a young scout in the morning who was working on his aviation merit badge. It was a great time and I really enjoyed giving him his first flying experience. I'm really looking forward to flying Young Eagles in the future.

Yes, I fly Young Eagles

This past weekend Chapter 91 of Lee's Summit held its second Young Eagles event of the year and did 98 flights.

I did three before the third young eagle got sick in my plane.

But I will do more.

FLG-Young eagles

At the KFLG open house this past weekend, our chapter flew 108 young eagles.
We had 4 182's flying at one point to take this many kids- the WX completely cooperated this time. Tower was loosing his voice at the end of the shift- can't remember when he worked so hard. The most memorable flight was taking mom and two young 12 year old Marine cadets who's older brother is serving in Afghanistan. This was a pleasure an honor, and a total blast! We had Ciana, a 16 year old, that was doing all the paperwork for the young eagle flight- We are sending her and two more kids to Airventure Academy this year. But her payback for such hard work is her first 1 hr logged. Everyone pitched in for this event, and a great group of folks- even Pat!:D- Chapter 856 rocks!!

Young Eagles ...

When the EAA started the program to fly 1,000,000 young people (well, kids) by December 17, 2003 I was very enthused about the idea and through contacts at work etc. I was actually able to fly the magic 10 in some years. Don't get me wrong I have no love for kids exactly as far as personal contact is concerned - I'm old and it is not something that I look forward to. However, I remember when my younger brother Drex and I had deep feelings for airplanes and the wonder of flight. No one ever gave us a ride - and we didn't expect one - but we would have had great joy in the oportunity to ride in an airplane. It is that empathetic knowledge that drove me. After I retired I became more dependent on the EAA Chapter for the opportunity to perform this "duty". When I do something I like for it to be done for the right reasons and I like for it to be done like a mission striving for progressive achievement of the goal. My experience was not satisfactory. The last time I flew young eagles was a couple of years ago and on that occassion I had to write letters to all my neighbors to find enough kids to fulfill my "10" for that year.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
And thats the thing that scares me

The liability,

I'd love to take kids but non aviation parents are very likely to get a real sense of entitlement if something goes wrong.

Its sad but I have to balance everything I've accumulated in 48 years and whether someone else will have it all and I'll never be able to retire.

Like I'll ever be able to afford to retire anyway..yeah right!

Frank

Liability Concerns Abound

The liability,

I'd love to take kids but non aviation parents are very likely to get a real sense of entitlement if something goes wrong.

Its sad but I have to balance everything I've accumulated in 48 years and whether someone else will have it all and I'll never be able to retire.

Like I'll ever be able to afford to retire anyway..yeah right!

Frank

Frank - I share your concerns. As both the 'manufacturer' and operator of the aircraft, parents (whether or not aviation supporters) will have only the option of seeking compensation from the operator. I carry insurance, but even the insurance companies are looking for ways to avoid liability (so if you failed to safety one thing or did some other minor omission, they could invalidate your policy).

Does anyone have any information about what liability protection EAA (or other young eagle program sponsor) supplies? I would like to offer rides to young eagles in my plane, but not at the risk of having my family on the street. Thanks.

The EAA insures all Young Eagle flights.

Yes, it could be costly if you did something to hurt a kid. But the same thing could happen to you driving to the store.
Life is a gamble, but then I am somewhat of a risk taker.

I have flown over 150 kids in my 172:), but my RV has not made it to so many Y.E. events. Only about 20 kids in the last 3 years.:(

Kent

Young Eagles Insurance

As an EAA member you have additional insurance coverage via the EAA if you meet a couple of other requirements.

http://www.youngeagles.org/voluntee...ce - Insurance For Young Eagle Volunteers.pdf

Our local EAA Chapter 657 flies Young Eagles the third Saturday of each month April through October. It is a great opportunity to introduce kids 8-17 to aviation. Now since April 23, 2009 thanks to to Hal Shevers, founder and chairman of Sporty?s Pilot Shop, the Young Eagles are given a log book with a coupon to complete Sporty's online training course (a $199 value). It is recommended only for those 13 and over.

Link below

http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/2009-04-23_sportys.asp

You are better protected....

As an EAA member you have additional insurance coverage via the EAA if you meet a couple of other requirements.

http://www.youngeagles.org/voluntee...ce - Insurance For Young Eagle Volunteers.pdf

Our local EAA Chapter 657 flies Young Eagles the third Saturday of each month April through October. It is a great opportunity to introduce kids 8-17 to aviation. Now since April 23, 2009 thanks to to Hal Shevers, founder and chairman of Sporty?s Pilot Shop, the Young Eagles are given a log book with a coupon to complete Sporty's online training course (a $199 value). It is recommended only for those 13 and over.

Link below

http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/2009-04-23_sportys.asp

You are better protected flying Young Eagles than you are taking anybody up on your own. Parents sign a waiver and you get the additional liability insurance.
I feel it is necessary, if not our responsibility, to try to get kids enthused. If I fly Young Eagles for the rest of my life, and only one decides to pursue aviation, it was worth it.

You are better protected flying Young Eagles than you are taking anybody up on your own. Parents sign a waiver and you get the additional liability insurance.
I feel it is necessary, if not our responsibility, to try to get kids enthused. If I fly Young Eagles for the rest of my life, and only one decides to pursue aviation, it was worth it.

I could not agree more that getting kids off their 'game boxes', out from in front of the TV and doing something that teaches them a whole bunch of skills is important. And, if true that parents sign a waiver (and EAA provides additional insurance coverage), then I'll volunteer for young eagles. Does anyone have a copy of the wavier signed by the parents? (I give rides in my RV-8, but anyone that rides signs my "wavier, release and indemnity" first. Note, it is not just a waiver.)

Analogizing flying a kid in an airplane to driving a car is nonsensical. There are only about 30 things that are different about it, but I'll start with 3. Did you build your car? Do you have the same maintenance obligations with your car? Do you have similar insurance policy obligations?

I have only flown 17 kids, flying them one at a time in my Interstate. Hand propping complicates the situation.

Our EAA chapter in Mulino, Oregon has flown over 3,700 kids so far, with 8 pilots like KentB having flow over 100 and our top pilot with 359 to his credit. Chapter policy is to fly one kid at a time to give each one the chance of flying the plane, but siblings and close friends often opt to go together.

$crew the lawyers. Think about your first ride. I assure you that you will be paid back many times over for introducing kids to flying. You will get as much from it as they do.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=327204#post327204

130 some flown officially, another 20 or so off the books.

I weight the benefit of giving that kid a ride (and supporting a commercial endeavor by EAA) versus the risk of something serious happening. If the consequences of something serious happening were just injury or death to me and / or my passenger, then the result is simple, give the kid a ride.

You all may be overlooking what happens to your family. It is my family that will be deprived of me, my income, my estate and the life style they have come to know and appreciate (if there is a serious incident or accident when I'm flying a young eagle). My family will be deprived because the parents of some kid want to sue you because you have an airplane and are (presumably) wealthy. It isn't the attorney, it's only a job to him and like all of us, the attorney wants to do a good job.

Do any of you 'risk takers' really understand the issues and have you discussed these issues with your wives, mistresses, significant others, etc.? When I did, my wife said get the "waiver, release and indemnity" when you carry other people and only then is it OK. (She also said, if you want to risk your own neck, just make sure your insurance is paid up.)

I believe in taking risks, I don't believe in throwing caution to the wind. (And, by the way, my first airplane ride was commercial, I traveled with my grandfather and he paid for it.) The remainder of my rides were on Uncle Sam, my employer or me.

I'm glad for you guys that support young eagles and I hope the conviction of your decision is never tested. I know for those that have had 'bad days' and were not properly covered, things got very difficult.

Pay it forward!

I weight the benefit of giving that kid a ride (and supporting a commercial endeavor by EAA) versus the risk of something serious happening. If the consequences of something serious happening were just injury or death to me and / or my passenger, then the result is simple, give the kid a ride.

You all may be overlooking what happens to your family. It is my family that will be deprived of me, my income, my estate and the life style they have come to know and appreciate (if there is a serious incident or accident when I'm flying a young eagle). My family will be deprived because the parents of some kid want to sue you because you have an airplane and are (presumably) wealthy. It isn't the attorney, it's only a job to him and like all of us, the attorney wants to do a good job.

Do any of you 'risk takers' really understand the issues and have you discussed these issues with your wives, mistresses, significant others, etc.? When I did, my wife said get the "waiver, release and indemnity" when you carry other people and only then is it OK. (She also said, if you want to risk your own neck, just make sure your insurance is paid up.)

I believe in taking risks, I don't believe in throwing caution to the wind. (And, by the way, my first airplane ride was commercial, I traveled with my grandfather and he paid for it.) The remainder of my rides were on Uncle Sam, my employer or me.

I'm glad for you guys that support young eagles and I hope the conviction of your decision is never tested. I know for those that have had 'bad days' and were not properly covered, things got very difficult.

Excellent points, and a well thought out response, Jay and I highly respect each person's feelings in regard to taking risks.

To answer some of your questions:

I have talked this over with my family and they know it is a passion of mine. They also fly with me a lot and fully support me. I was flying before I started dating my wife.

I feel that I must put forth my best effort to maintain my airplane and show good judgement and piloting skills when flying Young Eagles flights. I hardly throw caution to the wind.

I have a lot to lose... but I choose to live my life not as a couch potato. I feel I owe it to our future generations to show them that G.A. is a great freedom to be cherished.

Our flying fraternity will fail without a major influx of new blood... but more important is the good will that this endevour portrays to the general public. What better opportunity to talk to not only the kids, but also the parents about the things general aviation provides to the community, the jobs g.a. makes available and the enjoyment we get from sport flying.

The last I'd heard there had been only two accidents during the Young Eagles program. What a great testimony to the pilots and airplanes involved. We've flown nearly 1.5 million passengers.

Oh yeah, I just looked at the Young Eagles logbook.

I was mistaken. 161 official Young Eagles flown. More to come this weekend!

http://www.youngeagles.org/logbook/PilotSearchResults.asp

It saddens me to hear that you think that this is only a commercial endevour soley for the benefit of the EAA. We need you.

Come on, help us pay it forward!

Last edited:
Joe, you took the words right out of my mouth...

The only thing that I wish to add, is that when I was flying kids in my Cessna about 1/3 of the time I would put a parent in the back seat.
It is a great experience for the parent to share the ride and see their kids excitement.

Again as you have said, the good will that this provides may come back 100 fold.

Kent

Let's see--1.4 million kids flown, one fatal accident that I have heard about, caveman's post suggests maybe two. Two kids died in the one I knew about.

So maybe 4 kids out of 1.4 million.

I have one $ million in insurance, EAA provides another million.

The parent signs a form waiving their right to sue, assumes the clearly stated risks and agrees to hold EAA & the pilots harmless.

So IF I crash, and IF the kid is seriously injured or killed and IF the parent sues, and IF they win, the costs and judgment will have to exceed more than $2 million (my insurance and EAA's ) before my family is affected.

In order to live and enjoy this life, I'll accept those odds.

Let's see--1.4 million kids flown, one fatal accident that I have heard about, caveman's post suggests maybe two. Two kids died in the one I knew about.

So maybe 4 kids out of 1.4 million.

I have one $ million in insurance, EAA provides another million.

The parent signs a form waiving their right to sue, assumes the clearly stated risks and agrees to hold EAA & the pilots harmless.

So IF I crash, and IF the kid is seriously injured or killed and IF the parent sues, and IF they win, the costs and judgment will have to exceed more than $2 million (my insurance and EAA's ) before my family is affected.

In order to live and enjoy this life, I'll accept those odds.

Seth's post #8 was the second accident I was referring to but I have no first hand knowledge of it. And apparently no one perished thank the Lord.

young eagles fun stuff

when i fly the kids i usually try to make it fun for them. one enjoyable moment occured when we were taking off. i tell them to tell me when we are flying. the kid looked over to me an said. "we have liftoff". you bet. all smiles.

it would be interesting to hear any fun stories of your flights.

if you are interested in flying some young eagles contact your local eaa chapter. it is easy and fun.

http://www.youngeagles.org/logbook/PilotSearchResults.asp here is a link to eaa chapter 2 flights.

My view discounts "Fun"

Fun just doesn't enter into it for me. The young Eagle is being exposed to one of the greatest adventures, they should be helped to understand what is going on and get a real life experience flying a plane and navigating.

Bob Axsom

Insurance corrections

Couple of corrections regarding insurance in previous posts, if I might...

1) Insurance company just waiting to deny a claim because you "forgot to safety something." Not true - just doesn't happen. If you blatently fail to do required inspections or obtain / retain an airworthiness certificate - maybe, but they don't deny claims because of a maintenance mistake. Or a pilot mistake, for that matter. Most accidents and claims are a result of one or the other. Believe be, they are paid all the time with little to no fuss at all.

2) "I have a million dollars in coverage. My million plus the EAA's million is 2 million." Wrong. 99.9% of expirimental aircraft policy holders carry $1,000,000 LIMITED to $100,000 each passenger. If you wreck your airplane and kill yourself and one passenger, the most the insurance company will pay out for liability claims is $100,000. You'd have $900,000 available for bodily injury or property damage to people or objects OUTSIDE the airplane.

That said. I have and will give rides to kids all the time. You can't live your life worried about liability. And that's true for more than just airplanes.

I Love Flying Young Eagles!

Have a look at the photos from this past weekend's EAA Chapter 582's Young Eagle Flights and tell me how many smiling faces you see!

These kids won't forget their Young Eagle flight for a long, long time, if ever. I still remember my penny-a-pound flight, as a cub scout, over 40 years ago. How many of you were infected by the aviation "bug" before you were a teenager?

I wish our chapter would do more Young Eagle events, like we used to in the past, before my RV was flying. With that said, I think we're doing pretty good, my chapter has flown more than 7,000 Young Eagles. My 5 this weekend puts me over 60 total, one at a time. The spam-can guys keep taking them all, three at a time. :D

I think the only way general aviation will survive is for us active pilots to "pay-it-forward" and infect anyone who's interested enough to make the effort to come out to the airport and adventurous enough to take an airplane ride with a total stranger, possibly (hopefully!) in an airplane they built in their garage!

Last edited:
great young eagle post

nice eaa chapter website. you guys did a great job. how many did you fly?

My first ride in an airplane was in 1995 at EAA chapter 91 in Lee's Summit, MO. I was 13. That plane ride is why I am a pilot today.

I flew 7 kids a week ago at a Chapter 91 event. 5 in my Cessna and 2 in my Lancair.

I am proud to fly kids, no matter the cost.

Chapter 1300 flew about 60

kids this last weekend in the isolated town of Tonopah, NV about 160 NM North of our home base, Henderson, NV. They are over 200 road miles from the nearest WalMart! You should have seen the grins. Carbon copy of the RV grin in my experience. Our Chapter has had many rallies in the Las Vegas area, but those held in "outpost" communities tend to bring out the best support from the community, parents, and kids who are really starved for something exciting to do.

We all have to weigh the risks we take in life versus the rewards we and our families gain. Given informed consent on the liabilities, the next important piece of knowledge needed is the measure of good these Young Eagles flights can do. Try a few. You'll be impressed I'm sure...;)

good news

My first ride in an airplane was in 1995 at EAA chapter 91 in Lee's Summit, MO. I was 13. That plane ride is why I am a pilot today.

I flew 7 kids a week ago at a Chapter 91 event. 5 in my Cessna and 2 in my Lancair.

I am proud to fly kids, no matter the cost.
this is what the YE program is all about. i am happy to hear your experience. a YE pilot and 2 plane owner. keep up the good work.

young eagles; hartford skylark join to fly 60 kids

i was nice to see a well run event. the kids started coming an hour early but the joint effort from hartford and skylark was great. the support from the local fbo was zip, nada they would not even let them use a grill to cook. the pizzas finally came about 1pm. back home in florida we get excellent support from ower fbo, even fuel donated. the kids were a lot of fun, i flew about 5 trips in the R-44 including some CAP's who were helping out, and some adults from the fbo. there was a very nice dark blue RV-8 in military colors, a kit fox, a bunch of certified planes and a stearman and rotorway helicopter on display. considering the wx we have been having lately it turned out to be a nice day with the sun coming out towards the end. :p link to florida event
http://go.webvideoplayer.com/view/fKOiGgPw0RJqLcH1nt2h20654

Last edited:
I just ordered a bunch of the brochures and Sporty's young eagle's packages, etc. Giving the gift of aviation is one of the most important things we can do as pilots. Sharing our passion ensures our future. The next generation of pilot's are the ones who will ensure that we still get to fly.

90%+ Flying Young Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is great to see such a high rate of rvers flying kids. i am not surprised. it is one of the best events for the EAA chapters. keep the kids, pilots, parents, ect smiling. are you in the 10 for 2009 yet? Turbo
30144069.gif

Young Eagles

My EAA chapter 690 in Lawrenceville, GA is very active in the Young Eagles Program. We fly the 3rd Sat every month and average about 60 kids a month.
We have 4 RV drivers as well as the usual Bonanza or 172 guys. There is some additional insurance from EAA that is offered at the time a Young Eagle flight is made with the proper paperwork. You can check the YE website at EAA to see how much additional coverage that you get.

If you don't belong to an EAA chapter that is active in Young Eagles, I would think that you could find one within a 30 min flight time for an RV. They will be glad to have you.

I just think that the Young Eagles program is a great way to pay it forward.

John Morgan

Not on the list...

Curious. I flew more than 10 kids and got my Flight Commander badge but am not on the list.

the problem might be..........

if the paperwork was not sent in properly then you might not of been registered for your flights. the paperwork is a big, important,timeconsuming part of the flights. i know. you can always save your registration sheets and send them in yourself. enjoy the kids. 90% of us are involved in the young eagles flights. ;)
30144069.gif

hartford ct YE Day...................

i was a nice weekend in ct. the local guys did a make-up flight for the kids having about 4 rvs there. the attendance was light but i was able to fly 3 old buzzards and these great kids from denmark. they were talking and laughing in there native language so i assumed they were having a good time. my rv is down for painting and repairs of the wheel pants after 10yrs of abuse. :)

img1107.jpg

Sept 18th 7B6 Skylark Airport CT

pastedgraphic2.png
pastedgraphic1r.png
pastedgraphic3.png

this is a special time i get to spend flying with these young kids. they are a blast. it was a perfect day to be together with friends an families. skylark airport and hartford brainerd get together to do these events and do a fantastic job. till next time.

img0324b.jpg

saturday turned out to be a fine day to fly some young eagles in stuart florida. ower count is well over 150 kids. pilots, parents and support team with some big smiles on there faces. lots of food and 100LL consumed. i had my jacket and tie on for there entertainment. the rv is a great plane to introduced kids to there first flight. turbo

our local eaa chapter did it again. 2 rvs along with the regular ga aircraft had a blast. find out where an event is happening and get involved. :):):):)

GOOD MORNING!!

Saturday's Young Eagles event was fantastic!! 12 volunteer pilots and their aircraft flew over 75 kids!! THANK YOU's go out to: William Jackson, Bill Frick, Van Stuck, Bob Bales, Dave Stone, Don Page, Stephen Blank, Hap Mills, Joe Guage, Ron Rowars, Tony DeLorenzo and Brian Woodward!!

We had a variety of great food!! Laura Hoult from BB n T provided Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and all the works, water, goodie bags for all the kids!! Plus her and her two children volunteered all day! THANK YOU!! First Watch dontated Yogurt Parfaits and muffins, THANK YOU!! Chik-Fil-A donated 150 sandwiches, THANK YOU!!

Jensen Beach ROTC gave it their all!! THANK YOU!!

There were about 16 volunteers that gave their time for the whole day.. THANK YOU!!!

Stuart Jet Center made our event look first class!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Freedom Waste always is there for us!! THANK YOU!!

Special thanks goes out to Wayne Alexander. This was his first year of taking charge of the whole event!! THANK YOU!!!

I hope everyone was able to catch the news coverage on channel 25. The broadcast was featured on the 6:00 and 11:00 news!!

Stuart EAA Chapter #692 is greatful for all the help to make this an exciting adventure for our youth!!
Respectfully,
Renee Allen j

our eaa chapter flew 150 kids today. windy but other than that a perfect day.
Mackenzie came back for a second ride in the rv. last fall and now today. a great way to spend the day.:)
7DA356BF-E7DA-4DD5-AA7D-732C0F274CA2.jpg

I'm up to 30 rides in my RV-6

I gave 6 rides this weekend. I love giving the young eagles rides. I had one quiet girl this weekend that flew the plane like a pro. She was probably 14, and she kept the plane level in pitch and roll perfectly. I told her to make a turn to the left or right and she would smoothly bank it over and head in the right direction without climbing or diving. Most of my pilot friends can't do that, in the RV. I have a great video of one girl, Cheyenne, that I took up last fall. I have permission from her parent's to show this video. Her reaction tells the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0ql0a0hRbs

I gave 6 rides this weekend. I love giving the young eagles rides. I had one quiet girl this weekend that flew the plane like a pro. She was probably 14, and she kept the plane level in pitch and roll perfectly. I told her to make a turn to the left or right and she would smoothly bank it over and head in the right direction without climbing or diving. Most of my pilot friends can't do that, in the RV. I have a great video of one girl, Cheyenne, that I took up last fall. I have permission from her parent's to show this video. Her reaction tells the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0ql0a0hRbs

That's a riot, Richard! Cool!

richard, i must admit that was a perfect YE flight. nice job done. 'best day ever' you are the man. see you next summer for more fun.

stuart eaa 692 chapter flew 100 kids a few weeks ago. great time.

eaa 692 completed our spring YE event. what a perfect day of wx and a constant supply of fun kids. we finally got connected up with a local school that has aviation interest. 100 happy kids were flown. a lot of happy parents too. :)
P1010397.jpg

P1010393.jpg

May 16, 2015: EAA 79 Spokane, WA.
First Young Eagles Rally of the 2015 season; 53 Young Eagles flown. We had two RVs in the stable that day, both -6's one an "A" model slider, the other a taildragging tip-up.

Many thanks to our pilots RV and otherwise who made the day such a success!

our fall young eagles event is in the book. 130 kids flown by 10 aircraft on a nice day. we advertise at the stuart airshow a couple weeks before the event and usually get a good turn out. here are most of my kids for the day.
5A07C7BC-0A97-4F91-9BEA-7B8023F89B47.jpg

FD02E8BF-6530-4299-83CB-97E3E8A89800.jpg

98B6A666-CB20-43DD-A7C1-30AFA9275825.jpg

3A0F0396-5994-4D9D-B4C5-6DEB8EFA3724.jpg

808CA83E-C1D6-40EC-ABAB-DCDC564FC934.jpg

0945A581-B5B1-4BA1-B813-3AE9C957BD80.jpg

5E2F452F-11C9-48DB-B7DF-59ED1DF744A8.jpg

Back