What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Refreshing An Old Thread - Conduit Choices

HFS

Well Known Member
This is a "refresh" of Alex Peterson's post in 2007 about using Tenite Butryate tubing as a wiring conduit. He did not attach pics - which I think may be helpful.

The 1/2 & 3/4" diameters, with .032" wall thickness make excellent conduit for wire runs (+ the fact that it is clear - can see everything). Very light weight: 6' x 1/2" o.d. x .032" wall thickness = 2.4 oz

It is "rigid" in the sense that it is relative straight, but can be bent, either slightly, cold or to a tighter radius when heated.

The side wall can easily be penetrated for wire inclusion at intermediate points.

Comes in 6' lengths and can be coupled with PVC rigid tube.

YMMV - But this is pretty good stuff!

This is a www.usplastics.com product

HFS

Attachments

• Tenite Butyrate Tubing - 1.jpg
    Tenite Butyrate Tubing - 1.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Tenite Butyrate Tubing - 2.jpg
    Tenite Butyrate Tubing - 2.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 231
  • Tenite Butyrate Tubing - Specs.jpg
    Tenite Butyrate Tubing - Specs.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, and I suppose I could ask Alex about it, what is the advantage of this tubing over the standard black corrugated conduit that Vans sells?

What's Different About It?

Couple of things:

1. If Van's corrugated tubing is 3/4" o.d. w/ .093" corrugation "thickness" & the butyrate tubing is 3/4" o.d. w/ .032 wall thickness; then, the usable interior space of the clear tubing is 1.499 x as great as Van's. Seems like a more efficient use of space.

2. With a smooth "bore", any wire pulling later, won't be made any harder by snagging the corrugations with the pull wire as it is being inserted.

3. Being clear, you can see exactly what is going through it at any location, simply by looking.

4. Easier to "break in" to the tube, for wire ingress/egress at any point without fear of upsetting whatever may already be going through there.

5. With smooth sides & rigid over its length - it is easier to install (smooth sides/no sagging)

Of course there may be differences, but for me, the fact that I end up with a lot more useable interior space at a lesser weight makes it valuable.

HFS

Last edited:
I learned a long time ago, the most important thing about an airplane is to make it as light as possible. I typically will do a little extra work to save weight. Anything I add to an airplane that is not in the plans is carefully balanced between its weight, cost, and future benefit.

Couple of things:

1. If Van's corrugated tubing is 3/4" o.d. w/ .093" corrugation "thickness" & the butyrate tubing is 3/4" o.d. w/ .032 wall thickness; then, the usable interior space of the clear tubing is 1.499 x as great as Van's. Seems like a more efficient use of space.

2. With a smooth "bore", any wire pulling later, won't be made any harder by snagging the corrugations with the pull wire as it is being inserted.

3. Being clear, you can see exactly what is going through it at any location, simply by looking.

4. Easier to "break in" to the tube, for wire ingress/egress at any point without fear of upsetting whatever may already be going through there.

5. With smooth sides & rigid over its length - it is easier to install (smooth sides/no sagging)

Of course there may be differences, but for me, the fact that I end up with a lot more useable interior space at a lesser weight makes it valuable.

HFS

One more advantage over the corrugated is that it is straight. I was able to push an additional wire (years after the initial build) from the wingtip all the way to the bell crank and then to the fuselage with no problems. That would likely be difficult, if not impossible with corrugated tubing.

I suspect it costs a fair bit less than the corrugated, but I don't know.

Heat in wing

Does anyone know how hot it can get in the wing,….no paint….light color…..dark color paint? I used the fluorescent bulb shields for wire runs in wings T5 shields, made of LEXAN Super light but still may have been a mistake. Not flying yet.

One more advantage over the corrugated is that it is straight. I was able to push an additional wire (years after the initial build) from the wingtip all the way to the bell crank and then to the fuselage with no problems. That would likely be difficult, if not impossible with corrugated tubing.
I suspect it costs a fair bit less than the corrugated, but I don't know.

When adding a wire to corrugated conduit, tie a cotton ball to a piece of string and blow it through the conduit with compressed air. Tie the new wire to the string and pull it through.

Back