What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Suggestion" For Paint Shop Convenience

HFS

Well Known Member
My building shop gets turned into a paint shop once in a while, and it is nice to be able to easily suspend parts for the painting process. Even when it is still a working shop, there are times when small pieces need to be "hung up", either for drying or painting with aerosol cans.

When building the shop I knew I was going to need this option, so built in a "grid" of hangers to facilitate such - DIY eye bolts in ceiling on 1' centers. Using 5' x 3/4" dowels, with slotted eye lag bolts at either end, I can set up single hangers, or hanging bars approximately 5' above the floor (10' ceiling height).

HFS

Attachments

• EZ-PAINT - Hanging Poles.jpg
    EZ-PAINT - Hanging Poles.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 350
+1. Ceiling hangers highly recommended, bunch of hooks and a few heavy duty points.

Attachments

• Cabane Fairing Jig.jpg
    Cabane Fairing Jig.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 346
  • Wings 1-20-05.jpg
    Wings 1-20-05.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 300
My paint booth is temporary.

I hung 3/4" metal EMT conduit tubing (cheap) from the ceiling. I made a grid that is about 9' wide 18' long. I roof and wall the grid with 4mm plastic. I have some box fans that blow air into the chamber through furnace filters in the ceiling of it. Air exits through another set of filters at the other end near the floor. This inflates the booth slightly, bowing out the visqueen walls giving more space inside.

I will use your hanging tube idea to hold smaller parts in the near future. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 1.08.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 1.08.17 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 216
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 1.06.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 1.06.56 PM.png
    696.2 KB · Views: 206
Hanging things

I have wardrobe show stands for hanging things from. Not all that expensive either.
They come with wheels and are quite sturdy. Adjustable for height and nest together for storage. Or you can un-bolt them for a smaller space.
The main reason I bought the hanging racks was so you can move things around if you need. Oh ya out of paint booth if they are dry enough. I'm actually going to try hang a set of wings from them. One on each end so they can be rotated for painting.

Art

Attachments

• IMG_1275[1].jpg
    IMG_1275[1].jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Ceiling anchor points.

Lot of good ideas already posted here.

My garage ceiling is currently unfinished, so it is easy to add a screw for hanging parts for paint.

If I ever decide to drywall it all in, I had the thought of installing some unistrut on the ceiling for ease of installing a hanger. The unistrut is probably overkill, but it would be better than ruining drywall for poking screws in and trying to find the truss. A simple painted board could also be screwed in to span multiple trusses and provide a similar flexibility of mounting points.

Back