What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone gotten a -12iS kit recently, or getting one soon?

Just got my documentation kit, My last back order part is promised to be shipped this week, engine stand off mount. mailing the registration to the FAA in the morning.

After paint then I will install the avionics.

I know most avionics shop loathe having the airplane painted prior to avionics. They have a lot of moving targets and having a fresh perfect paint job to protect on top of everything is stressful.

I would say paint job would be one of the last things to do. In fact probably after the test flight period at the earliest.

Why make yourself try to be super careful around a fresh finish when you are running wire harnesses, oat probes, and remote LRUs and servos?

Avionics Kit

I got my avionics kit about three weeks after getting an email from the Mothership saying they had shipped the parts to Stein and to anticipate about three months from that point. Mighta been a typo, but it was a pleasant surprise.

I got my avionics kit about three weeks after getting an email from the Mothership saying they had shipped the parts to Stein and to anticipate about three months from that point. Mighta been a typo, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Sure is not like that for some of us. Stein got my parts from Vans in early June and they are telling me maybe December for delivery. Ordered Dynon kit from Vans January 3rd 2022 I’m not holding my breath for delivery this year.

I've gotten all my kits

I started this thread, and just received my last two kits, so I figured I'd post a wrap-up: here's the calendar for all my orders, and a few things I learned.
Code:
Kit        ordered  received  months waiting
---        -------  --------  --------------
Tail       7/26/21  7/20/22   11.8
Wings      7/26/21  6/27/22   11.0
Fuse       8/10/21  7/20/22   11.3
Finish     8/20/21  8/4/22    11.5
Avionics   2/18/22  11/23/22   8.1
Powerplant 2/20/22  11/23/22   9.1

I really didn't want to get stuck waiting for the next kit while building; though I staggered my orders a little, I didn't stagger them enough. I'm now just finishing my tail kit, and good news, I've got all the kits on hand. Bad news, though: this means I won't have much warranty left on my avionics when I fly; I would have the same problem for the engine, but I opted for Rotax Care on it. I probably wouldn't have if they didn't have the current free-Bose-headset promotion for it - everyone I spoke with says their 912iS engines have been pretty solid. I think that promotion might go away at the end of the year, so if you're thinking about getting Rotax Care, now's the time. (Also, the Bose A20 you get does have Bluetooth; I wasn't sure.)

I'm happy I live an hour from Van's and could pick up my kits at will-call. However, I had a couple of crating surprises:

- Van's warned me the day before fuse & tail kit pickup that my tail kit would be in a larger box. I thought this wouldn't be a problem since I'd arranged a 20' truck, but that wasn't big enough for a 12' box and an 8.2' box (math!), so the crates had to be stacked... which meant I couldn't slide the crates down the ramp into my garage by myself. Luckily I found four burly construction workers nearby who helped me move the fuse crate off the top, and helped push the tail down the ramp.

- Though I asked Van's to put the powerplant stuff in a separate box from the Rotax crate, they put everything (Rotax crate, avionics & powerplant parts in a box, prop in a box, all the Garmin boxes, and exhaust system) in the same big crate, which barely fit (1/2" to spare, width-wise) in the rental box truck. Again I found last-minute help to unload.

So, the moral is, pay attention to the crate sizes. Also, some rental box trucks have wheel well bumps inside the box, which might get in the way if you're hoping to slide crates around solo like I did!

Also, for what it's worth, I used several different rental agencies for the trucks, but found for the last run that Home Depot's box trucks can be rented for multiple hours and have unlimited mileage. Budget/Penske/UHaul all have hefty mileage charges.

Congrats, sounds like your going to be busy for a while. I ordered my avionics about two weeks before you and hope to get them soon but haven’t heard anything from Vans or Stein about delivery date recently. I was told December last time I asked. I also worry about my engine since it’s been sitting in my garage since September 2021.

I started this thread, and just received my last two kits, so I figured I'd post a wrap-up: here's the calendar for all my orders, and a few things I learned.
Code:
Kit        ordered  received  months waiting
---        -------  --------  --------------
Tail       7/26/21  7/20/22   11.8
Wings      7/26/21  6/27/22   11.0
Fuse       8/10/21  7/20/22   11.3
Finish     8/20/21  8/4/22    11.5
Avionics   2/18/22  11/23/22   8.1
Powerplant 2/20/22  11/23/22   9.1

I really didn't want to get stuck waiting for the next kit while building; though I staggered my orders a little, I didn't stagger them enough. I'm now just finishing my tail kit, and good news, I've got all the kits on hand. Bad news, though: this means I won't have much warranty left on my avionics when I fly; I would have the same problem for the engine, but I opted for Rotax Care on it. I probably wouldn't have if they didn't have the current free-Bose-headset promotion for it - everyone I spoke with says their 912iS engines have been pretty solid. I think that promotion might go away at the end of the year, so if you're thinking about getting Rotax Care, now's the time. (Also, the Bose A20 you get does have Bluetooth; I wasn't sure.)

I'm happy I live an hour from Van's and could pick up my kits at will-call. However, I had a couple of crating surprises:

- Van's warned me the day before fuse & tail kit pickup that my tail kit would be in a larger box. I thought this wouldn't be a problem since I'd arranged a 20' truck, but that wasn't big enough for a 12' box and an 8.2' box (math!), so the crates had to be stacked... which meant I couldn't slide the crates down the ramp into my garage by myself. Luckily I found four burly construction workers nearby who helped me move the fuse crate off the top, and helped push the tail down the ramp.

- Though I asked Van's to put the powerplant stuff in a separate box from the Rotax crate, they put everything (Rotax crate, avionics & powerplant parts in a box, prop in a box, all the Garmin boxes, and exhaust system) in the same big crate, which barely fit (1/2" to spare, width-wise) in the rental box truck. Again I found last-minute help to unload.

So, the moral is, pay attention to the crate sizes. Also, some rental box trucks have wheel well bumps inside the box, which might get in the way if you're hoping to slide crates around solo like I did!

Also, for what it's worth, I used several different rental agencies for the trucks, but found for the last run that Home Depot's box trucks can be rented for multiple hours and have unlimited mileage. Budget/Penske/UHaul all have hefty mileage charges.

Yeah wow - not sure why but I'm still waiting on my finish kit I ordered 7/7/21 - 17 months and on my 3rd "crating window" (not including the first delay from March to July). I too have everything - and it's been all built since Feb waiting for this stinking kit so I can finish...now that it's butt cold not sure I can drill the canopy until spring...very frustrating. Maybe I should have sent a fruit basket with my check or something to not get kicked to the back of the line or something - not sure how that happened.

So warning - your results may vary on kit arrival times and they're not necessarily shipping in order they receive the orders. Just order the whole thing up front or you may end up sitting around..."just in time" planning on kit arrival doesn't work (didn't work for me).

Delivery dates

Finish kit ordered 05-19-21 / delivered 09-15-22
Power Plant ordered 12-06-21 / delivered 11-02-22
Avionics (Garmin) ordered 04-12-22 / delivery pending

I just received a note that people who have fuselage and finish kits on order will attempt to ship both sub kits close together. Anyone else receive an email saying the same? That would indicate about a 6 month lead time from my fuse and finish kit order if the crating dates are accurate. (They were spot on for my emp and wing kits.) Very hopeful if they can ship them out together to save on freight but I know that’s no guarantee. Also very glad cause it will mean I can build like gangbusters once I get them. - Jacob

I just received the documents package about 3-4 weeks ago. Sent in the required forms and just received my Registration card a couple days ago.

N40RM is my tail number.

Then, I received the final backordered item from Van's... A 5 inch long piece of velcro to hold the onboard documents pouch to the luggage compartment bulkhead!

Finish kit!

My 12iS finish kit just shipped, after ordering it about 14 months ago.
Can’t wait to get it on the gear.

:D

Finish kit arrived!

Just about exactly 14 months from placing the order…

Attachments

• BEA3C3A1-29FE-47FC-BF86-E85D1B5277D7.jpg
    BEA3C3A1-29FE-47FC-BF86-E85D1B5277D7.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 99
  • F7B51A02-2545-4096-839D-C5570FF69331.jpg
    F7B51A02-2545-4096-839D-C5570FF69331.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 101
Avionics

Ordered dual screen Dynon avionics 7-5-22 and scheduled delivery today. Steinair said the Dynon guys have jumped ahead of the Garmin orders since they are having supply issues.

Anyone take delivery of an engine kit or Dynon avionics kit recently? Curious if the lead times in the chart are fairly accurate. I placed the order for my engine kit and am eagerly awaiting it. 9 months should be March/April. Thinking I could order the Dynon avionics and if they do deliver in 3-4 months, I could get that installed before the engine shows.

- Jacob

FWIW my Garmin avionics arrived a little early. My engine is a little late. Recommend you sign up with UPS to be notified of incoming packages. There was no warning from Steinair that a $30K box was about to be left on the front porch.

I found out the engine really needs to be in before you can run the wiring harness for everything else. I wish my engine had come before the avionics. The KAIs even show the engine stuff already installed in the avionics sections.

My engine kit is in crating...any day now!
I ordered my powerplant kit 12/1/2022

Update: powerplant kit shipped today! (8/25/2023 )

Last edited:
Kit Delivery

Picked up the wing and fuse kits in July. Expecting the finish kit just before Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_2415.jpg
    IMG_2415.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 91
Not a whole kit, but after under-countersinking VS-1202 and subsequently drilling out 7 of 9 of the under- countersunk rivets successfully, I ordered a new VS-1202 last week. Just got a response back today that that part is unavailable and there is no estimated lead time. Not surprising with the laser cut part situation they are currently dealing with. No worries though, I've got plenty of other things to work on. I also have gotten a lot better at countersinking .032 and am almost an expert at drilling out flush rivets!

Back