What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B In delayed info

D Weisgerber

Well Known Member
I have an Open Flight Solutions Flight Box for ADS-B In, it is wire into a GRT 10.1 Horizon. I also have a Stratus ESG ADS-B out. Most of the time I get good traffic information but then sometimes it is showing where the traffic was 45 to 50 seconds ago. I was watching an airplane int the traffic pattern at my home airport it was showing him at crosswind when he was turning to base. This has happened numerous times with different airplanes. Is there a way to get more accurate information? I was wondering if I should replace the Flight Box with something else?

Are these "lagging" airplanes equipped with ADSB-OUT (you may be able to tell, depending on your display settings. If there's no N number, they might not be equipped). Since you are not in ADSB-out required airspace, you may be seeing non-equipped aircraft that are detected by ATC radar. For you to "see" them, your ADSB has to hear from a ground station. If you are low your communication with the ground station may be intermittent, e.g., you're getting old, not updated, data. If you're on the ground and your ADSB-out is off, then getting a ground station depends on luck.

Back