What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B out question

rvator9a

Well Known Member
Forgive my ignorance if this is something I should already know. I am flying my 9a without ADS-b out. I was under the impression that as long as I was not in tower controlled airspace I could fly without having ADS-b out.
I was told today that it is illegal to fly anywhere except below 800 ft if you are not equipped with the out feature of ADS-b.
Can anyone enlighten me, Im not in a position to purchase a beacon right now so I have just been flying locally.
Thanks Bob

ADS B

Not over, under or in Class B or C including B mode C veil
Not above 10'000 unless within 2500' of ground.
Aircraft originally built without electrical systems are exempt from certain portions of above.

The easiest to remember is that ADSB-out is required in the same airspace as a mode C transponder: class A, B, C, and over the top of those airspaces; inside the 30 nm ‘veil’ around class B airports; and everywhere above 10,000’ msl (with an exception if you are within 2500’ AGL or lower).
Class D (tower) does not require ADSB-out unless it fits one of the above.
ADSB-in is never required.

From https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/ads-b/where-is-ads-b-out-required

Class A, B, and C airspace;
Class E airspace at or above 10,000 feet msl, excluding airspace at and below 2,500 feet agl;
Within 30 nautical miles of a Class B primary airport (the Mode C veil);
Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of Class B or Class C airspace up to 10,000 feet;
Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico, at and above 3,000 feet msl, within 12 nm of the U.S. coast.

Forgive my ignorance if this is something I should already know. I am flying my 9a without ADS-b out. I was under the impression that as long as I was not in tower controlled airspace I could fly without having ADS-b out.
I was told today that it is illegal to fly anywhere except below 800 ft if you are not equipped with the out feature of ADS-b.
Can anyone enlighten me, Im not in a position to purchase a beacon right now so I have just been flying locally.
Thanks Bob

You want to look at 14 CFR 91.225. Your answers about where you can operate are in there, specifically under (d).

Thanks Bob

Yes, you should already know this. It's been an FAR since 2020, and in the works for 10 years before that.

Try the official source:

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/faq/

AOPA's resources are, as noted, good too.

And you weren't even told the correct information *again*.

Dunno where you fly, but you may be lucky that you didn't get an enforcement action in the 18 months the rule has been in effect.

Bob, since you are near class C airspace: without adsb-out you may not fly in, or over, that airspace. You may fly under it, so near Cape Elizabeth, from the ground up to 1500’ msl. Once away from Portland’s class C, you may fly anywhere, but below 10,000’ (easy to do in ME), until the next B or C airspace.
I’m curious, what did you talk about during your last (1 hr ground required) Flight Review (nee BFR)? I can’t believe a cfi wouldn’t have brought adsb up, especially since you are so close to Portland.

Thanks to all the replies. The graphic was very helpful. I had been flying within the rules previously but had a conversation yesterday with a customer of mine that is a long time FAA examiner (airlines) and when we were discussing ADS-b he informed me that I was not able to fly in class E airspace without ADS-b out. I can see from the AOPA information that he is incorrect.

From https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/ads-b/where-is-ads-b-out-required

Class A, B, and C airspace;
Class E airspace at or above 10,000 feet msl, excluding airspace at and below 2,500 feet agl;
Within 30 nautical miles of a Class B primary airport (the Mode C veil);
Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of Class B or Class C airspace up to 10,000 feet;
Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico, at and above 3,000 feet msl, within 12 nm of the U.S. coast.

This is consistent with my understanding. Someone above mentioned UNDER a class C and it was my understanding that this does NOT require ADSB; Only ABOVE it.

Larry

Slight thread drift

……had a conversation yesterday with a customer of mine that is a long time FAA examiner (airlines) and when we were discussing ADS-b he informed me that I was not able to fly in class E airspace without ADS-b out…..

There is a growing problem IMHO with designated examiners making up their own rules as to what sign-offs should look like, what the ACS actually says needs to be tested, etc. But this is probably the worst example I’ve seen.

Thanks to all the replies. The graphic was very helpful. I had been flying within the rules previously but had a conversation yesterday with a customer of mine that is a long time FAA examiner (airlines) and when we were discussing ADS-b he informed me that I was not able to fly in class E airspace without ADS-b out. I can see from the AOPA information that he is incorrect.

The word “airlines” says a lot in the post above. When I was at the airlines, a small percentage of us pilots flew general aviation stuff. Those that didn’t didn’t know squat about flying general aviation and not much about airspace. So, if he was an FAA airline designee, well, nuff said.

ADSB not required under Class C

A couple previous posts stated ADSB is required under Class C. That is wrong.

It would be nice if the gulf coast class e was actually put on a chart as the lateral boundaries around the Florida keys is irregular in shape. It is on the interactive faa google map but not on any chart that I have seen. If they expect you to remain clear they should chart it

Back