What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall Warning Switch

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm just installing my stall warning switch, before installing the leading edge. It's not easy getting installed even with full access. I can't imagine removing it and re-installing through the access hole. Has anyone successfully done so after installing the wings.

I have it adjusted for minimal travel, like the manual instructs, but I'm wondering if I should give it a little breathing room in case things settle out and once the wings installed it's always on.

Removing through that access hole seems like a nightmare!

Michael-

Or you could just leave it out entirely, as you most likely will have an AoA and won't need it.

Or you could just leave it out entirely, as you most likely will have an AoA and won't need it.

On my -8, they are already cutting the holes in the leading edge skin, or I would have left it out too...

On a -7 that I recently flew, the stall warning was blaring from landing all through rollout until I was almost stopped. Perhaps with an A model, it may not continue going off on rollout, but I wound up pulling the breaker for the remainder of the flights.

Last edited:
On a -7 that I recently flew, the stall warning was blaring from landing all through rollout until I was almost stopped. Perhaps with an A model, it may not continue going off on rollout, but I wound up pulling the breaker for the remainder of the flights.

Works fine on a tail dragger or a tri gear if it is adjusted and working (no excess friction in the vane, etc.) properly.

Hey Scott, just completed the first flight of my RV8 and had the stall warning buzzer going off until I too slowed down to around 10mph pulling off the runway. Any ideas on how to fix it? Couldn’t hear the controller until it stoped.

For those that omitted it due to an AoA (G3X or some such), did you close off the hole in the LE, or just let it rip as is?

Yes, I floxed the hole in. Skyview’s AOA is just fine (once calibrated airborne).

For those that omitted it due to an AoA (G3X or some such), did you close off the hole in the LE, or just let it rip as is?

I have an all-Garmin panel with AOA on the main screen (no separate indicator) but opted to keep the stall vane wired to the G3X and Master Alarm. After about a dozen flights, I turned off the audible but still have the Master Alarm light (it can be disabled also in settings). The stall warning (red light) comes on about 8 knots over stall and I find it a great “warning”. It does blip off in the flare and also after rotation on take off (and occasionally during turn to final if gusty). However, I have my eyes outside during landing and don’t usually even notice the AOA pop-up on the EFIS whereas the Master Alarm does catch my attention. I will repeat this setup on version 2 under construction.

I installed both the stall switch/vane and the Garmin Pitot/AOA - your AOA won't be calibrated for the first flight (or really, until your engine is broken in, which can take a while).

For my first flight, I turned the G3X alarm volumes way down, incase I had a stuck vane or some other alarm distracted me. Once my engine was broken in, I calibrated the AOA, and then turned off the stall horn/indication in the G3X. My painter (Evoke Aviation) removed the stall switch and glassed over the hole.

_Alex

Back to the original question ...

A small ratchet handle that holds a 9/64 hex bit works much better than a regular allen wrench here.

Stall warning switch

I think I am going to have to find out how hard it will be to replace. Quit working and just got my new switch. Cannot get continuity through the switch, so I think it is the problem. Does anyone know what the voltage on the terminal wire to the switch should be? Mine showed 10.6 volts? I am thinking it might be easier to remove the wing( RV 12} to make it more comfortable for my old arms a hands to work up in the little access hole. Any idea appreciated.

Back