What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N10GT First Flight

GTWreck

I had read with great anticipation in the RVator magazines about the development of the RV-10 prototype. In March 2003, my daughter was born and I knew I was going to need more than 2 seats to fly the family around. When the RV-10 was announced at OSH in the summer of 2003, I placed my order immediately. I took delivery of my tail kit on Nov 1, 2003, with serial number 40036. I honestly thought I'd be done in 2-4 years. In the process, I moved to an airpark, had another kid, bought two other airplanes, one of which I still have (anyone want to buy a 1987 Mooney 205?), and traveled a lot for work. I'm very blessed to have the support network around me to complete this task. Between having a wonderful, patient wife who thought I'd never finish, and several neighbors from whom I've borrowed countless parts and tools.

On Sunday, N10GT took to the skies after an 11+ year building odyssey. I am now a third generation homebuilder. My father has built an RV-6A and an award winning RV-8. My grandfather built an Emeraude (which I recall him building when I was went to visit when I was about 7 years old) and an RV-8. Along the way, my father's vast experience, advise, and helped get me through the build process. I can never thank him enough for all his efforts.

I'm very fortunate to have a DAR live right down the street from me. Vic Syracuse did my inspection and also served as a Qualified Pilot under AC90-116. It was incredibly helpful to have someone of his experience level with me for the first flight.

Taxiing down the runway, I did a mag check and at the end of the runway, turned around and fire walled it. The plane broke ground in about 500 feet and climbed quite nicely to 3000 feet. CHTs settled in nicely (354-386F), which is fantastic for a factory new engine. Oil temps settled in at 187F. Left wing is a little heavy, which I was able to trim out to fly pretty much hands off. Even without wheel pants or leg fairings, I was getting TAS of 155-160 knots. ADS-B traffic on the G3X (via GDL-39 and GTX-330ES) was fantastic and immediately useful as it helped up pick out a 172 that was crossing our flight path on the decent for landing. A couple other minor squawks to take care of, but overall, it was a very successful first flight, especially since I greased the landing! :) Now, if only the weather would cooperate so I can go fly again!

IMG_0309-M.jpg

IMG_0310-M.jpg

IMG_0310-M.jpg

IMG_0353-M.jpg

The classic post-first flight RV Grin.

IMG_0355-M.jpg

My Dad and I.

More pics and videos can be found here: http://www.aaronsims.photography/Airplanes/RV-10-First-Flight/47553457_LqtJvJ#!i=3883309603&k=hTZsfKz

Nice work Aaron, that is a good looking airplane. I know that more than a few RV-10 builders can relate to your story and having and raising kids while building the airplane, it may slow down the process but makes it richer at the same time.

-Andy

Congrats!

Aaron has done a wonderful job on building his RV-10 and making the first flight. It's been really neat watching him and his Dad over the years--- a whole family of RV-builders!

Vic

Watched you take off and no doubt in my mind it wanted to fly. Congrats to you and your Dad for a job well done. I really do like the option of having a qualified pilot with you, well don Vic.

Ross Scroggs
RV-4 #3911
Locust Grove, GA

Congratulations and thanks for posting this. I haven't been able to work on my project this winter for various reasons and this was just the inspiration I needed. Here's hoping you have many hours of enjoyment flying your beautiful plane.

Aaron,

Congrats and THWG!

Your 430W is finally flying in Macon (thanks in part to Vic, who did the annual that got it back in the air)

Congratulations!

Aaron,
I was watching from my hanger pad while you and Vic taxied out. I could feel your excitement. Sounded beautiful as you took off, climbed out, and circled during the first flight. Now let's all go to Cedar Key again with you and the family in that 10! Congratulations!

Rebecca

I'm very blessed to have the support network around me to complete this task.

Task does not describe that venture! Odyssey! Thats a better word for it! Beautiful airplane for sure!

THWG!

Congrats Aaron, Buffy and Family!

Didn't get to see the first flight but look forward to a ride after the fly off is complete.

It's great having you and some of the other RV experts in the neighborhood as Annie and I start our building adventure.

Just seeing your plane and tail number puts a smile on my face :)

Krea

Last edited:
Super job!

I like the paint too. There may be an advantage of breaking the engine in... in cold weather.

AC-90-116

Thanks, Pierre, for the kind words. Yes, I've done a few of these now under AC 90-116. I think it is a huge advantage for the builder, and certainly makes for a less stressful flight. The biggest "distraction" is that most of the engine parameters get set up for "normal". There's not really a "normal" for first flights, and the biggest distraction is the CHT's warning of overtemps and the pilot wanting to react. The reality is that on the first flight, normals are always way high, sometimes approaching 440-450 degrees for a few seconds at the top of the climb. But they can rapidly hit the configuration parameters prior to the end of the runway. It helps to have someone saying "just fly the airplane" and let the QP monitor the engine and make any necessary adjustments or calls.
:)

Vic

I am now a third generation homebuilder. My father has built an RV-6A and an award winning RV-8. My grandfather built an Emeraude (which I recall him building when I was went to visit when I was about 7 years old) and an RV8...

Great story beautiful plane! Congratulations!

Back