What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A crash Illinois

Glad the Pilot survived, especially being at night. Prayers for his speedy and complete recovery.

Its a very congested area. Glad the pilot is ok and great job!

This is my home airport and there are VERY few places to set a plane down. He was very lucky to have ended up in the ONLY empty grassed area of that size within 4 miles of the airport.

It was red and white, like my 6, so I received several calls asking if it was me. One guy checked the AWOS at the time of the accident and it was 300 OVC. Being 8 miles from ORD and directly under the primary approach paths, it is all but impossible to get a void clearance, so I am very interested to see the details when they come out. I am told the pilot is an AA capt. Someone on the field was there when he took off and heard a lot of sputtering as he turned downwind (presumed as the plane was in the soup) after his take-off on 11 and he was speculating water in the fuel. We had a very heavy rain the day before and the plane is tied down. Someone pulled a copy of the radar history from DPA and it showed him entering a tight spiral after turning downwind. The presumption was the engine started failing and he was trying to get under the ceiling to find the field. I remain interested to hear his story or the full report.

Larry

Last edited:
Back