What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AC in an 8

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Are there any 8’s with air conditioning?

Just thinking…..
The lower section of the forward baggage compartment seems ideal to put the evaporator and fan. Using cabin air makes it a recirculating system.

Compressor on the engine is easy if the alternator is on the rear drive and the compressor uses the belt.

Hard part to me is the condenser location for heat dissipation. Cars usually put it in front of the radiator. It would have to have a fan since the biggest need is on the ground. Maybe an additional NACA vent and mount under the cowl?

Perhaps a pipe dream but sure would be nice in the Deep South.

I'm pretty close to beta testing in other airplanes besides my own with my PlaneKool AC system which is designed specifically for RV-6, -7, -9's, but could be adapted for the -8 if we can get the evaporator assembly to fit. See evap assy drawing below and an overview of the system component locations. Go crawl under your panel and see if the evap will fit as-is or if it needs to be modified to fit an -8. Maybe you can get it to fit into the fwd baggage compartment if it won't fit under the panel?

And here's a quick description of what this system is: https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1569938&postcount=12 I've since redesigned the condenser housing to not require the cowl mod. It now looks like a little F-16 inlet.

Attachments

• 3-view captions.jpg
    3-view captions.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 312
  • GX-470 Evap Housing Rev A.jpg
    GX-470 Evap Housing Rev A.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 185
Back