What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove gear and alodine

ctennis

Well Known Member
For those of you with the grove aluminum landing gear, did your paint shop Alodine the gear prior to paint? Just want to confirm this is okay.

Why?

My paint shop (me) did two coats of epoxy primer, flew for 100 hours, then took the plane down for paint. The plane (including the Grove gear after light sanding) got a coat of primer, color then clear. Very happy with the results.

For me I never found value in alodine when using a good primer.

Carl

Not sure I know explicitly - this paint shop alodines prior to primer. I'm not familiar enough with the process to speak wisely on it, but given its the landing gear just wanted to make sure there was no particularly bad thing that might happen as a result.

Not sure I know explicitly - this paint shop alodines prior to primer. I'm not familiar enough with the process to speak wisely on it, but given its the landing gear just wanted to make sure there was no particularly bad thing that might happen as a result.

excluding the environmental impacts, alodine is great stuff with no downside. It inhibits corrosion and is also an adhesion promoter for the paint. That said, proper prep with an epoxy primer works just great.

Larry

Alodine before primer is great for the reasons Larry listed. Its the way I do things and has worked well. Sounds like your paint shop is NOT cutting corners.

Mike

Alodine is the "proper" way to prep for priming and paint. Many people skip this step due to it being highly toxic. Myself included.

Back