What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trip to Moab, UT

bwestfall

Well Known Member
I'm late planning a trip to Moab, UT, probably KCNY, from North Idaho for the weekend of 5/13 with some friends for a last minute mountain biking trip. My initial thoughts on route are south through Boise, ID area then SE through Salt Lake class B area. Continuing on SE to Canyonlands KCNY. I've never flown in the SLC area though wondering how accommodating center is with VFR aircraft. Do they pretty much just push you into the VFR corridors up against the terrain?

Looks like canonyonlands KCNY is the main option for arrival airport. Any pireps on how GA friendly they are?

Would appreciate any feedback or experiences people can share.

Regards,

Last edited:
Boise to Moab

Hi Ben,

I've flown through that area several times. I've typically flown to the west of SLC's Class B or at 13,500 and over the airspace. I haven't tried the VFR corridors because I haven't seen the need.

If you do fly over, listen to ATC and keep your head on a swivel. The airliners pop up quickly!

If you fly to the west, avoid the restricted areas and be aware of the arrival/ departure corridors.

Salt Lake Approach will keep you east of I-15 while you transition through the Bravo. Turn left at Spanish Fork and follow Hwy 6 the rest of the way to KCNY.
I'm based in Ogden, KOGD, so I normally head east up Weber Canyon then south along the backside toward Heber City then through Daniels Pass then southeast to Price following Hwy 6 continuing to KCNY. You'll talk to Ogden and Hill AFB for transition through their class Delta airspaces.
Or get on the backside further north up near Logan or Brigham City and you don't have to talk to anyone. Actually, stop at Preston ID, U10, for cheap fuel and fly south from there toward Heber. That's high country along your route but living in ID you're probably used to flying at 11,500 occasionally.

I've flown that route 3 times from the Seattle area recently, usually with a stop in Caldwell ID (EUL). Some times it's been on the West side of SLC Class B, and recently (last week) it was up the East side. The only time there was any pushback (vectors) was trying the skirt close to Bravo on the west side, must have been too close for their comfort. The east route was easy, 7.5K' and a nice tour. ATC has always been very accommodating, you just need to understand their work load and priorities. MOA's are often cold or they'll work you through if need be, UTTR and restricted areas not so much.

Like Steve said, crossing the ridge from Provo area thru Spanish pass works well, following the highway east/south and heading over towards Carbon (PUC), then south towards CNY.

The airport at CNY is fine, although they can be short of GA parking (unless your GA is a PC12 or Gulfstream). Expect to be met by the luggage cart people to haul your bags and remind you to check in with the Jet Center ($15 a day). Park at any of the tie downs on the south west side that DO NOT have an orange cone. Chains are provided and fuel is onsite ($6+ something last week). Watch the taxi surface near the pump, it's right up against a hangar and approach ramp.

Regarding flight following into/out of CNY, you'll find you lose SLC and DEN when you get below about 8.5K'. Last week a Delta flight called me on the ground to say that SLC was wondering if we got down ok... worked out. Thanks Delta (I usually don't say that at work!! :D)

Have fun on the bikes. The tourists right now and the traffic in the parks will be a bigger challenge than your flight down! Cheers

much appreciated

Thanks for the info guys much appreaciated. Used to flying high around here but the hills down there look a tad bigger on the map. The hardest part of North Idaho is anything eastward is a long time over hostile terrain. North, West and South are easy but East tends to make the motor sound rough :D.

Appreciate the pirep on parking at KCNY and the heads up about losing COM's at 8.5k. Was thinking Spanish Fork route but Webber Canyon towards Heber City sounds like a good option too.

Thank again,

Take note that Arches National Park is operating on a reservation only basis this season. With no reservation you will only be allowed in the gate (still full price) at 5pm so a very limited time window to see the park. They employed about 6 extra employees per shift to enable this restriction (to turn people around and tell everyone in the long line at the gate what in **** is going on...

If you were planning on going there, try to get yourself a reservation today.

thanks good advice.

You can't call an audible these days and "squeeze" in a national park trip anymore. We got burned on that one last summer at Glacier Nat'l park in the same way. We were in Kalispell and had half a day to burn and did get burned in line ha ha. They were employing at least 10-12 people to "educate" you on ones lack of planning ability. Was mildly annoying because we could have come back at 4pm and entered for free after they all went off **** anyway just didn't have the time.

No chance of free anything at Arches, but I understand your sentiment. When I was there at that time the park was sold out (daily capacity) for weeks, thus no chance of making a reservation. Moab itself was packed with 4wd enthusiasts. Long lines at every gas station, zero parking in town, no hotel rooms available etc.

Back