What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Lightspeed and 6 cyl locations

ctennis

Well Known Member
I'm picking my final locations for the ignition coils now on a IO-540 for an RV-10. If I mount all 6 coils to the top of the engine, then I have to route the ignition cables down to the bottom plugs somehow through the baffles. If I mount 3 of them aft of the engine, the cable routing is much longer as they have to snake around and down the sides.

Curious how other folks have handled the coil locations for a 6-cyl dual ignition setup?

I am not sure I understand the LS coil arrangement. I have on 6 pack coil for the top and another for the bottom.

I made a mount that puts one pack on top of the engine close to the rear baffle. It uses the case bolts. Need to be sure that you manage the clearance with the oil door joggles and hinges.

I made a mount that goes on the upper most, lateral engine mount bar to hold the other coil. It uses two adels on the horizontal bar and another on the angled bar.

It works well for me and doesn't create any access issues. I considered making something that went on the mag hole cover, but what I did was easier to implement with homemade parts; Though I did make simple mag hole covers.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. At least for my systems, I have a total of 6 coils, 3 for each system. Each coil has two outputs going to two opposing spark plugs.

I have 3 coils presently mounted to the case bolts above the engine that will handle the top 6 spark plugs. I'm just debating on whether to mount the other 3 also on top of the case and route the wires through openings in the baffles to the bottom plugs, to to mount them to the engine mount bar aft of the rear baffles.

I don’t know about the 10 and 540, but on my rv4 I have the two bottom coils on a bracket on the bottom case line forward of the oil sump

Robert burns
Rv4 n82rb

I mounted mine on the engine mount behind the baffles on my -10

Attachments

• FA042497-2411-408B-90FE-2A4277072AAC.jpg
    FA042497-2411-408B-90FE-2A4277072AAC.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 177
I'm picking my final locations for the ignition coils now on a IO-540 for an RV-10. If I mount all 6 coils to the top of the engine, then I have to route the ignition cables down to the bottom plugs somehow through the baffles. If I mount 3 of them aft of the engine, the cable routing is much longer as they have to snake around and down the sides.

Curious how other folks have handled the coil locations for a 6-cyl dual ignition setup?

I just penetrated the baffles on each side for the shortest run from the coils mounted to the centerline top of the engine. Sorry I couldn't find a better picture, but if you zoom in on this one, it will make some sense.

Attachments

• IMG_5036.jpg
    IMG_5036.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 161
Back