What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing Exhaust Springs

Tom Delaney

Well Known Member
Calling on all the wisdom known to make it's home here!

Please share techniques to ease the removal of the exhaust springs. Just don't have the power to grab them with a pliers and stretch them far enough.

Thanks,

You need to buy or make a tool, rough description:
A pry bar or large flat blade screw driver, which can push down on the spring. To gain force you pivot around a fixture which is screwed into a hole where one of the valve cover screws normally goes.

Procedure: pull plugs, stuff rope into the cylinder. Bring piston up to top dead center. Now use the tool to push down on the spring. Valve can't fall into the cylinder due to the rope. As soon as there is some movement of the spring, use the free hand to remove the valve keepers at the top of the valve stem. Slowly release pressure on the pry tool, spring will come free.

Edit: I just saw this was for an RV-12. Above procedure works on valve springs on Lycoming/TCM. Don't know about any other engines.

I think he means the springs on the rotax exhaust collector. We have a large pair of good gripping pliers .... Get a good bite on them and pull over the clip. Rotax may make a special tool but none that I know of.

I like to use large 90 degree pliers. The angle means you can get a lot of force on the handle. A set of straight, 45 degree, and 90 degree are cheap at Harbor Freight. ;

Spring hook

Go to a motorcycle store. They stock a handle with a hook on the end. They work great

I don't have a -12, but on my previous bird, a Kolb mark 3 with a Rotax 912S, I found that the exhaust springs could be easily removed by wrapping a short length of cord, like a srong shoe lace, around one of the spring hooks and pulling outward to release them. Cheap, easier than pliers, and nothing hard to nick the springs either. Is there some reason this won't work on the -12?

Regards,
Erich

.41 safety wire . Cut a piece 6"or so put both ends in a pair of vise grips ,place the loop over the end of the spring and pull. Works real easy with tools you already own.

I use a long pair of heavy duty needle nose pliers, available from Sears and probably many others. Grab the lower loop and use my weight. Also wear leather gloves to save knuckles. really pretty easy once you do a few.

Thanks for all the replies!

Locking wire method worked like a charm as I begin the installation of the exhaust.

I do believe I will add the 90 degree pliers to my arsenal.

Tom

Exhaust springs

A loop of safety wire and a screwdriver to use as a "T" handle makes it a non issue.

Back